Smith & Wesson's Model 645: The gun of Miami Vice in Season 3 & 4

Miami_JBT

• Administrators
On 4/8/2021 at 9:33 PM, Dadrian said:

Tim this sounds like Weldon struggling with Lorraine. :) 

Well my memory is more faulty and less reliable then Lorraine’s. :eek:

• Haha 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, miamijimf said:

I'm with you about preferring the hammer type pistols over the polymer striker fired pistols of today.  But you have to admit Glocks and similar handguns are extremely reliable.  My Glock 19 Gen 5 is small "rete petite" as Even said and holds 15 rds, ideal carry gun.  There must have been some but never heard of a malfunction with a Glock.

Jim, I’ve been a Glock guy for over 25 years. My first was a G23, gen 2 in .40S&W in 1995ish. Back then .40S&W was all the rage as it was more power over the 9mm and more rounds over the .45. It was the “compromise” caliber.

That was not my first carry gun. My first was a Colt .45 Officers Series. That was the first attempt I’m aware of to decrease the standard size of the 1911 except maybe the Detonics .45, not sure. The Glock soon replaced it and the others I did carry once I got it and put enough rounds through it to make me very comfortable. Utterly reliable. I once took it through a combat class were we did all kinds of drill including dumping the entire mag as fast as you could. Back then I had 10 round mags thank to the Clinton ban but I was able to dump 10 rounds in less then a second and a half due to the very short trigger reset of the Glock. I was hooked and carried one for the last 25 years until I just recently bought a SigP365. I was amazed at it’s size and 10 round capacity. It shoots great too. I bought the 12 round mags and use them for EDC as I can get a full purchase on the grip without any sacrifice and I find the 12 round mags are just as easy to conceal as the 10 so why not? I purchased a few 15 round mags for spare carry off side too. In fact I liked it so much I bought a second P365 to carry as a bug. I sometimes carry both with one 15 round spare mag. The beauty being they are the same gun so either could take the reload. 

My Glocks are still my go to home defense and vehicle weapons. I use the extended 24 round 9mm mags at home. I find the 33 round mags are a tad too long for my liking and I have the 22 round mags in my .40 cal Glocks. I don’t want to run out of bullets in the middle of a shoot out and have to reload! :eek: I am a firm believer you can never have too much ammo in a gun fight! The P365’s get carry duty as they are so easy to conceal and weigh almost nothing even with the 12 round mags and 15 round spare. 

I have a lot of hammer fired pistols. I like them a lot and would never get rid of them. But for me, striker fired is my way to go.

And in 25+ years of firing Glocks, several different Glocks, I’ve never had a malfunction in several thousands of rounds that I could recall off hand. The only other firearm that I have that I can say that about is my Beretta 92FS. That was my very first pistol my father bought me for my 16th birthday. Thousands upon thousands of rounds though that, we used to reload, and never a malfunction. 

YMMV. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, timm525 said:

Well my memory is more faulty and less reliable then Lorraine’s. :eek:

Well, actually, my recall is startin' to work just fine...I just remembered what it sounds like when you cock a .38.  :)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, miamijimf said:

I'm with you about preferring the hammer type pistols over the polymer striker fired pistols of today.  But you have to admit Glocks and similar handguns are extremely reliable.  My Glock 19 Gen 5 is small "rete petite" as Even said and holds 15 rds, ideal carry gun.  There must have been some but never heard of a malfunction with a Glock.

I have 25 GLOCKs. Carried one variant or another as a duty gun all of my career. They're my go to guns.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

One of my firearms instructors at the academy had a Glock (don't remember the model) that he used to show their reliability.  He'd leave it out in the rain, throw it against a wall, even run over it with his truck...pick it up and shoot center-mass.  I've shot several Glocks over the years, but just don't like how they feel in my hand.  The last pistol I carried was the Smith & Wesson M&P .40 cal.  I thought this was a great gun!  Never had a single issue with it, felt good in my hand, and seemed quite durable.  I was planning on buying the compact model for a backup but never got around to it.

Great thread btw!

My Old Man was one of the first LEOs in FL to carry GLOCK. He started in 1986 and Herr Gaston Glock even visited to show appreciation for it. He has a photo with Herr Glock hanging in his office. 

8ErADHI.jpg

GoCZxfU.jpg

Best duty handgun in the world. I sure love mine and trusted 'em as a duty gun. 

Edited by Miami_JBT
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, timm525 said:

Jim, I’ve been a Glock guy for over 25 years. My first was a G23, gen 2 in .40S&W in 1995ish. Back then .40S&W was all the rage as it was more power over the 9mm and more rounds over the .45. It was the “compromise” caliber.

That was not my first carry gun. My first was a Colt .45 Officers Series. That was the first attempt I’m aware of to decrease the standard size of the 1911 except maybe the Detonics .45, not sure. The Glock soon replaced it and the others I did carry once I got it and put enough rounds through it to make me very comfortable. Utterly reliable. I once took it through a combat class were we did all kinds of drill including dumping the entire mag as fast as you could. Back then I had 10 round mags thank to the Clinton ban but I was able to dump 10 rounds in less then a second and a half due to the very short trigger reset of the Glock. I was hooked and carried one for the last 25 years until I just recently bought a SigP365. I was amazed at it’s size and 10 round capacity. It shoots great too. I bought the 12 round mags and use them for EDC as I can get a full purchase on the grip without any sacrifice and I find the 12 round mags are just as easy to conceal as the 10 so why not? I purchased a few 15 round mags for spare carry off side too. In fact I liked it so much I bought a second P365 to carry as a bug. I sometimes carry both with one 15 round spare mag. The beauty being they are the same gun so either could take the reload. 

My Glocks are still my go to home defense and vehicle weapons. I use the extended 24 round 9mm mags at home. I find the 33 round mags are a tad too long for my liking and I have the 22 round mags in my .40 cal Glocks. I don’t want to run out of bullets in the middle of a shoot out and have to reload! :eek: I am a firm believer you can never have too much ammo in a gun fight! The P365’s get carry duty as they are so easy to conceal and weigh almost nothing even with the 12 round mags and 15 round spare. 

I have a lot of hammer fired pistols. I like them a lot and would never get rid of them. But for me, striker fired is my way to go.

And in 25+ years of firing Glocks, several different Glocks, I’ve never had a malfunction in several thousands of rounds that I could recall off hand. The only other firearm that I have that I can say that about is my Beretta 92FS. That was my very first pistol my father bought me for my 16th birthday. Thousands upon thousands of rounds though that, we used to reload, and never a malfunction. 

YMMV. :thumbsup:

I still have my Pre-Ban G17 mags that were worth over $100 back during the Clinton AWB. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Wow, oddly enough, they may soon be worth that again. Let’s hope not though. :eek::evil:

When they first came out, I thought to myself what POS “plastic” gun. Who would ever want one of those? I turned my nose up at them for years until one day while I was at the range the guy next to me, a LEO, had a G19 and admired how well I was shooting. We got to talking about our guns and he offered to let me shoot about 5 rounds as I had never done so before. His target looked like he was shooting a shot gun with a few hundred rounds all over it. Not to be critical of the guy, but I was glad he was at the range! :eek:

The only spot on his target that had not been hit was the silhouette’s right elbow. I took aim at that so I could hopefully see where my rounds were going on the target. I put all 5 or so rounds in the elbow in a tight group. I was amazed at how well that gun shot and how well I naturally shot it. My opinion of Glocks being “plastic” POS changed that day immediately and it was very soon after I got my G23. The first of many. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

One thing I don’t like so much on my G19, 23, 26, 27 are the finger grips on my 3rd and 4th generation guns. I have large hands and my middle finger gets pinched by the finger grip. I don’t have this issue on my full sized G17 or 22s as there is a tad more room. I have yet to purchase a gen 5 gun without them but I know I would like them as my gen 2 g23 doesn’t have them and I like the feel of that. I also have put Hogue sleeves on all of mine as they fill out my hand more.

• Like 1

I've nothing but admiration for Glocks, and even more for those who shoot them well. In my case with my L-sized hands I'm eternally struggling with my grip on them. I'm used to polished wood Hogue wood grips on "4 inch .357 mag GP100, wood grips on SAA + Walker Colt, STI framed 1911, factory grips on CZ Shadow I  and sticky grips of 929 PC, etc. With all these I can get good/decent splits of 0.14 - 0.25 with accurate hits. Glocks' blocky and slippery grip and gun angle make me struggle to reach the same. On niner I can keep it under control, but on .40 S&W or .45 ACP it is either speed ( not firm enough grip) or accuracy (too firm grip) that starts to suffer. 

To me to shoot Glock well is a special skill of xtreme grip whilst still somehow maintaining trigger control and kudos to those who master it!

-J

edit: I don't do those splits with the Walker or any other single action Colt, I'm not Thell Reed :)

Edited by Jeff_Cooper
  • Like 1