Carrera Sunglasses

Miller Hailiffe

Hi Everyone

Over the years I've started collecting Vintage sunglasses(mainly Carrera...No, all Carrera) it all started in 2018 when I gave up smoking and thought I'd reward myself with a pair of Carrera sunglasses(I always wanted a pair since I was a kid) when they arrived I somewhat felt 80s and thought I'd go with the theme by researching my Miami Vice boxed set, after finally reminding myself 'hey sonny wears Carrera' I then purchased my pair of 5512s.....since then it's gone a bit pear shaped, I now have 63pairs in my personal collection of 30 different models and around 80 pairs unsold stock in which i sell for some extra cash

Thought I'd share my progress and connect with anyone else that's as passionate about the brand as me

Polish_20210411_141121581.jpg

Polish_20210411_141259811.jpg

Polish_20210411_141415380.jpg

Polish_20210411_141514439.jpg

Polish_20210403_173827397.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks very much. I already follow you on Instagram. 

Unfortunately, Wayfarers are too small for my face. The only sunglasses that fit my face are 62mm ray ban aviators. Therefore I'm thinking that Carrera aviators would be a good choice for me for a MV look. 

What sizes do Carrera aviators come in? 

• Like 1

Very cool instagram page! I am glad to see that there is another Carrera 5512 collector on this forum :cool:

I myself have several NOS models in my collection as well.  The 5512 in the first picture seems to be in excellent condition though.

@Lit Up : The 5512 models have the following dimensions:

Hinge to hinge - 145 mm / 5.7 inches

Frame vertical - 59 mm / 2.3 inches

Temples ~ 125 mm / 4.9 inches

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a pair of vintage 5512s.  I am not sure how they will fit, but they are really coming back in style like other vintage stuff.  If my gf said she would be seen with me wearing them, they must be ok.  I was watching an episode of Knight Rider when I noticed Michael was wearing some lightly tinted lookalikes. Soooo 80s and cool, so I got the itch.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

What do you guys think of the Panamerika series? 

Lol, makes me think of Pawn America. I don’t know anything of this series.

• Haha 2

Thanks for the kind words my friends I'm trying my best to give as much info on this brand as it's near impossible to find without digging

Most Carrera aviators are a minimum of 60mm to 66mm most being 62mm as that's the sweet spot

In words of 5512 fit? They'll fit any face with some heat adjusting also try the 5565(Small 5512) and the newly released Endurance65 

VAPORGRAM1619433552464.png

9 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

What do you guys think of the Panamerika series? 

Panamerika are ok but they aren't vintage models the 2000-2013 stripe models are a bit gaudy but the 'new panamerika' are quite nice with subtle looks

Do you know what vintage these are? They are listed as Panamerika 1/P/S

SmartSelect_20210428-190827_Poshmark.jpg

Panamerika are an original design from SaFilo and it's not vintage yet, production was around 2005-2012 

Not too sure on the model codes of this model but the S in 1PS could mean small, if they're 62mm I'd avoid and get 65mm

• Thanks 1

Poshmark.com has plenty of these things. Here's a few I'm watching, though I probably won't actually buy any lol. So if anyone is interested, have a look (I'm saving the best one for last).

https://poshmark.com/listing/Carrera-Winner-2-D2Z90-Mens-Sunglasses-5f4e6eb12f3d195cf9bfefc4

https://poshmark.com/listing/Carrera-tortoise-sunglasses-607221ae9c33782a3e4890fd

https://poshmark.com/listing/Carrera-UV-protection-eyewear-5d9e195ea20dfc3215b5cb01

And my favorite: https://poshmark.com/listing/Carrera-3S-Special-Edition-Sunglasses-026S-08-NWT-6047caaa736720f1041dae37

They kinda look like the ones Don only wore a few times during the first season, eh?

• Like 2

I dig all of them except the favorite. I have been watching a lot of these, but I have already bought two pair on Poshmark.  I get something in my head and need more than one.  I did it with blazers and now sunglasses.  Lol.  At least I am kind of breaking even since I have sold stuff on Poshmark too.

Edited by IA-SteveB

I like them most because they're a bit different than the rest. Really makes them stand out. I hear ya when it comes to one never being enough. I feel like I need to have a similar color and pattern on scoop/round tees, v-necks, henley's AND polos. So like, one of each of those shirts in light blue, light green, and so on lol. Heck, since I can't find blazers with those simple patterns like the ones Don wore, now I'm looking into shirts with similar patterns instead.

• Like 1

I do feel comfortable buying used Carreras on Poshmark versus eBay.  I am always afraid of getting a fake on the bay. Funny story about the 5512s I bought.  The lady I got them from kept them for 30 years because she was told they were her now deceased grandfather’s glasses. Her dad recently said they really weren’t so she decided to sell them so they can live again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

I do feel comfortable buying used Carreras on Poshmark versus eBay.  I am always afraid of getting a fake on the bay. Funny story about the 5512s I bought.  The lady I got them from kept them for 30 years because she was told they were her now deceased grandfather’s glasses. Her dad recently said they really weren’t so she decided to sell them so they can live again.

I love a good back story, I wonder how many of my pairs earstems were used to hoop cocaine off of in their day

• Haha 1

To avoid buying fakes, make sure to check the watermark on the inside of the frame. It should say 5512 on the top right corner :)

IMG_1372.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Paul K. said:

To avoid buying fakes, make sure to check the watermark on the inside of the frame. It should say 5512 on the top right corner :)

IMG_1372.jpeg

There are no fakes of vintage models that pass themselves off as carrera(none still in circulation anyway) only inspirations of the design by Ambervision-BluBlocker and those generic brands like Turbo or Sports etc 

The counterfeit sunglasses market wasn't exactly a thing back in the 80s

Good point.  I guess I am skeptical of a lot of things you get on eBay. So many popular things are faked these days because it is easy and profitable.  It amazes me how much time is spent faking things.  I have seen fake tennis racquets that you would never know weren't real unless you knew what to look for.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Miller Hailiffe said:

There are no fakes of vintage models that pass themselves off as carrera(none still in circulation anyway) only inspirations of the design by Ambervision-BluBlocker and those generic brands like Turbo or Sports etc 

The counterfeit sunglasses market wasn't exactly a thing back in the 80s

You would be surprised. I encountered 2 or 3 fake pairs the past year, although I must admit that the frames were not made from the same Optyl material as the originals. Luckily they were sold to me for cheap though :p

Here is what the Panamerika style looks like in 65mm.  I still like the 5512 better, but these are good if I am in a shiny mood. These are gold with white trim and white ear pieces.

20210501_143229.jpg

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

Here is what the Panamerika style looks like in 65mm.  I still like the 5512 better, but these are good if I am in a shiny mood. These are gold with white trim and white ear pieces.

20210501_143229.jpg

They're perfect for anyone that wants that same look as Tubbs Alpina Quattro Sunglasses for cheap

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I love the style of the Carrera sunglasses and I got the chance to purchase these as a Joblot. I have ordered some Brown gradient Lenses for the 5512s and the other 2 pairs without lenses, my wife (who likes them too) is going to use for her perscription sunglasses and reader sunglasses.

1. SAFARI/P  85D-ID

2. Mod. 5401 91 Made in Germany

3. Mod. 5593 90 Made in Austria (the lens colors don't match)

4. Mod. 5547 10 Made in Austria

5. Mod. 5565 12 Made in Austria

6. CHAMPION CCO-DB

7. Mod. 5512 12

8. Mod. 5411 11

9. Mod. 5595

10. SAFARI/O FSO-DB

s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.9cbe0e53e69c1c84a804a7baad4a6eb1.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool collection. I have a pair I bought used for $40 from someone on poshmark. It looks exactly like the pair on the bottom left. I never wear them though cuz they're a little too big on me and are CONSTANTLY falling off my face, lol. Heck, this has inspired me to buy another pair I've been watching for months now. They look like the pair that are 2nd from the bottom on the right.

• Like 1