Some Vice-themed beers I found at the store, and custom made Miami Vice coffee mug my cousin made me

TylerDurden389

The “Jai Alai” beer is really good if you ever need to chase a kill shot :p

It’s an IPA also though...

• Haha 1

Don’t like the bitter flavor?  I love IPA’s but many prefer a less hoppy brew.  I also like black coffee, dark chocolate, and other bitter flavors.  Nice find though!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Don’t like the bitter flavor?  I love IPA’s but many prefer a less hoppy brew.  I also like black coffee, dark chocolate, and other bitter flavors.  Nice find though!

I’m no beerologist, but IPAs are always good to me—so much more complex and bold than regular beer. I like regular beer too though. :)  

I’m with you on the “bitter” stuff too pahonu. I drink straight espresso shots every morning, and anyone who tries them almost gags in my face. Tastes amazing to me though. ?(

I also like dry wine or scotch, but I rarely consume alcohol of any kind. I always enjoy it when I do though! :D 

9 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I’m no beerologist, but IPAs are always good to me—so much more complex and bold than regular beer. I like regular beer too though. :)  

I’m with you on the “bitter” stuff too pahonu. I drink straight espresso shots every morning, and anyone who tries them almost gags in my face. Tastes amazing to me though. ?(

I also like dry wine or scotch, but I rarely consume alcohol of any kind. I always enjoy it when I do though! :D 

Some people have a palate for more bitter flavors it seems, but I think we’re in the substantial minority.  My wife loves salty stuff like chips.  I hear that one a lot, but I think most people have more of a sweet tooth.

I make espresso on the weekends usually and drink it straight too.  I’ve seen the gag reflex in people that you speak of. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

My wife loves salty stuff like chips.  I hear that one a lot, but I think most people have more of a sweet tooth.

We're really trailing off here, but what the hell:

I love sweets, but I have to finish with something salty--like if I eat a piece of cake, I have to go find a potato chip to finish up on. :birdie:

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

We're really trailing off here, but what the hell:

I love sweets, but I have to finish with something salty--like if I eat a piece of cake, I have to go find a potato chip to finish up on. :birdie:

Interesting!  I can’t eat really sweet desserts like some cakes and cookies without having coffee with it.  Otherwise I get about three bites in and I’m done.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Try the yellow absinthe (80% proof) :) It's my favourite!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dadrian said:

IPAs are as complex as a skunk popsicle in my view.

Having dabbled in the world of small breweries, I can tell you IPAs are the easiest and fastest beer to brew...and the easiest to cover up mistakes with. If you screw something up, add more hops and call it a triple.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Having dabbled in the world of small breweries, I can tell you IPAs are the easiest and fastest beer to brew...and the easiest to cover up mistakes with. If you screw something up, add more hops and call it a triple.

You have further proven my claim of being a non-beerologist. :tasse_prost:

19 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Skunk popsicle is frickin’ hilarious. :D 

Having only made home brew myself, and not having any kind of microbrewery experience, I can’t comment on using hops to cover up mistakes.  I do know that I really like beers that are hoppy but even more so, malty brews.  When I hear triple, I think of Belgian tripels which are wonderfully malty not hoppy.  I also enjoy Scotch ales for that reason.  I also remember learning along the way that the high hops of IPA was originally included by UK brewers because it minimized spoilage on the long sail to India for their product.

Are you writing this down Dadrian. :D It’s your first lesson on the road to becoming a beerologist! :p

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Skunk popsicle is frickin’ hilarious. :D 

Having only made home brew myself, and not having any kind of microbrewery experience, I can’t comment on using hops to cover up mistakes.  I do know that I really like beers that are hoppy but even more so, malty brews.  When I hear triple, I think of Belgian tripels which are wonderfully malty not hoppy.  I also enjoy Scotch ales for that reason.  I also remember learning along the way that the high hops of IPA was originally included by UK brewers because it minimized spoilage on the long sail to India for their product.

Are you writing this down Dadrian. :D It’s your first lesson on the road to becoming a beerologist! :p

The IPA story is something of a misnomer. The first IPAs were actually brewed in a port city that had (a) hard water and (B) a bumper crop of hops. You can't make a decent pilsner with hard water, and lagers require cooler brewing temps to do properly (unless it's a steam or California common, which is another story). So this enterprising town used the excess hops with their hard water and shipped off IPAs. One advantage of sending them to sea...if no one likes the skunk popsicle they can't really complain about it. Hops will cover just about any brewing mishap when it comes to flavor...it overpowers everything else.

I'm more of a dark beer fan. You want complex flavor profiles, there you go. One beer snob piece of advice, though: always try to find stout on nitro. It was designed to be served that way and tastes MUCH better on nitro as opposed to straight CO2. Porter is somewhat similar, although it was designed specifically to keep the British working class feeling full and slightly buzzed during the Industrial Revolution.

• Like 2

I believe that Allsopp & Sons developed the export variety for the British East India Company over 200 years ago.

I’m interested in the details about the port city with hard water and excess hops.  Do you have any more details?

9F065EBA-B3F7-4F8E-B59A-A9EB994C5A4A.png

Edited by pahonu

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

I believe that Allsopp & Sons developed the export variety for the British East India Company over 200 years ago.

I’m interested in the details about the port city with hard water and excess hops.  Do you have any more details?

I no longer have the book that had the original story (it was a volume dealing with international varieties of beer and brewing instructions for most of them), sadly...didn't really need it once I left that particular industry. I believe it was focused on the Bow Brewery, though. Allsopp was one of the early brewers of the type, but not the only one. The focus on hops, though, does make IPAs adaptable to just about any type of water, while pilsners in particular are much more reliant on soft water. And both pilsners and lagers require more time to brew (around a month or more as opposed to maybe two weeks if you're rushing an IPA) and more skill to get them right.

2 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I no longer have the book that had the original story (it was a volume dealing with international varieties of beer and brewing instructions for most of them), sadly...didn't really need it once I left that particular industry. I believe it was focused on the Bow Brewery, though. Allsopp was one of the early brewers of the type, but not the only one. The focus on hops, though, does make IPAs adaptable to just about any type of water, while pilsners in particular are much more reliant on soft water. And both pilsners and lagers require more time to brew (around a month or more as opposed to maybe two weeks if you're rushing an IPA) and more skill to get them right.

Interesting, thanks!

Nice thread. Not tried that mia version of that beer before but here in the UK, there is a Brighton based company that also sells “Miami Weiss”. I was lucky enough to try it last year, very hoppy and full of flavour.

9DCADDFE-B45A-49F1-BA5C-A675CB010E5E.jpeg

• Like 1