Electricity in the air

S.FL84

I never cease to be amazed of the electricity in the air that night that finally arrived for the premiere of MIAMI VICE in 1984.  I'm sure eveyone is sick of me posting this but I can STILL feel the excitement of peeking into a world NEVER shown before like Michael Mann did w/ MV.  Now we're saturated w/ soooo much crap 'realism' we're all burned out and after this horrible BS year its nice look back and occasionally check in here to this wonderful little spot on the web and speak to people who know exactly what I mean.  I wish we could all finally one day get together and tour all the locations of this wonderful show that we all share a love for because we were there feeling those feelings, listening to the best music ever made and brought to life by one of THE greatest television shows ever produced.  Thanks everyone! 

MV opening scene.jpg

Me4.jpg

• Like 3

Maybe it´s just me, but I don´t understand the context of the second YouTube-screenshot(!) with Miami Vice and locations at all.?(

I remember talking to my friends about it the week before and we were all excited to see the premier that weekend.  There were certainly a lot of ads for it and it built up our teenage anticipation.  :)  I also remember talking about it with people at school on Monday.  It was a big topic for sure.  I really can’t say that I still feel that excitement, but I remember fondly how excited my friends and I were.  It’s more of a nostalgic feeling now, I would say.  

Oddly, one of the funny things that has stuck in my head all those years regarding my first impressions, was Sonny smoking and having the stubble and rumpled clothes look.  By that point in the 80’s the clean shaven look had taken hold after the 60’s and 70’s long hair, beards, and mustaches.  The gritty realism of 70’s cop shows like Barretta or Starsky and Hutch was disappearing.  Miami Vice was so different with the music and the montages, but Sonny looked to me a bit like those cops from past shows when they went undercover, which of course he was.  I remember thinking Tubbs looked really sharp and liking his look better.  I know Sonny’s look is iconic now, but that was something I remember thinking at the time.   

• Like 2

IDK....i guess you had to have been there in 1984-87 to really appreciate MV for what it was & if you weren't you'll never understand how incredibly cool it all was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.FL84 said:

IDK....i guess you had to have been there in 1984-87 to really appreciate MV for what it was & if you weren't you'll never understand how incredibly cool it all was.

I WAS there and watched the premiere when it debuted.  It WAS exciting and cool and everyone was talking about it.  I simply meant that it doesn’t feel as exciting now as it did then.  It brings back some great memories when I watch certain episodes, but it’s not the same as when I was young and it was new.  It’s still a great show but it can never be new again.  That only happens once.  

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I WAS there and watched the premiere when it debuted.  It WAS exciting and cool and everyone was talking about it.  I simply meant that it doesn’t feel as exciting now as it did then.  It brings back some great memories when I watch certain episodes, but it’s not the same as when I was young and it was new.  It’s still a great show but it can never be new again.  That only happens once.  

That moment you shared with @Ferrariman :fireworks:

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 9:20 AM, Tom said:

Maybe it´s just me, but I don´t understand the context of the second YouTube-screenshot(!) with Miami Vice and locations at all.?(

Me neither?

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb wolfie1996:

Me neither?

Ok, thanks, then we are two at least. To be honest, I did not get the whole context of this post with MV locations.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...