Scarface & Miami Vice in the same universe.

Detective_Crockett

Something I have always played around with in my head, is Scarface and Vice coexisting in the same universe as eachother, yes there are no references to either. But it's a cool idea, I feel. Tony Montana would be long dead however by the time Vice started assuming it takes place in 1984, and Scarface was 1983. 

Al-Pacino-Scarface-Steven-Bauer-Brian-De.jpg.4731df42a987ea8572bb7edd9381ad7b.jpg

large.vlcsnap-2016-08-11-21h13m13s384.png.f6ff282b914a0c8d41bdcabb87a8cba1.thumb.png.f50e6ea3abe608a468f47898b3b600c0.png

I can't exactly imagine Sonny showing up to the aftermath of Tony's mansion, but still.. as well. I'm completely against the idea of a reboot of Miami Vice (Unless it's a reunion with the original) and I'm absoloutely against a reboot of Scarface (I know, Al Pacinos version is a reboot, technically) but if they unfortunately went ahead and made it. It wouldn't surprise me if they co-existed.  What would it be called? 

The Cocaine Cinematic Universe? :)

FUN FACT: In the video game from 2006 a alternate take where Tony Montana survives the final shootout and you extract revenge on Sosa and get your riches back. You get hassled by these two Vice Cops, who look like none other than... 

_20210512_082934.JPG.fa77f9d86b4875fcf8a8cf79e325d78d.JPG

• Like 3

Thats a cool idea. 

To my recollection, the movie Scarface does exists in the Miami Vice universe as a movie the characters would watch.

This is confirmed by the Scarface movie poster being clearly visible outside a video store in the season 1 episode Made For Eachother. 

MV did many callbacks to the movie with one of the first scenes in Brother’s Keeper taking place outside the carlyle hotel which also featured in Scarface. 
The use of the actor Al Israel in Evan. Also the Scarface house was used at least twice in the series. Once in Golden Triangle part 2 and the second being Yankee Dollar. 

• Like 4

Nice idea.

I was wondering do we get to see the 3 circle window hotel (sunray hotel) you see in Scarface in the series? I can't picture it in my head.

L'appartement du massacre à la tronçonneuse de Tony Montana (Al Pacino) sur  Ocean Drive à Miami Beach | Spotern

• Like 1

Yes Beacon hotel and The Sun Ray Apartments are seen very briefly during Crockett/Eddie/Corky driving scene in the pilot.

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Old topic, but yes, they exist in exactly the same universe, and time in history. Crockett would have been working Vice already. We really don't see much representation of cops in Scarface probably because the cops were really not a bother most of the time. There were lots of cops working these criminals, and some well documented factual dirty ones. Scarface was also based around some actual events and people, as were some of the stories in Vice. That said, Vice followed the Scarface saga, but had a much larger positive impact on Miami. Miami originally wanted neither of these to be filmed, but eventually embraced Vice.

Crime Story was also in the same universe, just a number of years earlier, and even shared characters such as General Lao Li, who however was discussed but never seen in person.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:02 PM, Dean Palmer said:

Old topic, but yes, they exist in exactly the same universe, and time in history. Crockett would have been working Vice already. We really don't see much representation of cops in Scarface probably because the cops were really not a bother most of the time. There were lots of cops working these criminals, and some well documented factual dirty ones. Scarface was also based around some actual events and people, as were some of the stories in Vice. That said, Vice followed the Scarface saga, but had a much larger positive impact on Miami. Miami originally wanted neither of these to be filmed, but eventually embraced Vice.

Crime Story was also in the same universe, just a number of years earlier, and even shared characters such as General Lao Li, who however was discussed but never seen in person.

Just to clarify, Miami Vice and Scarface do NOT take place in the same universe. It’s a movie that exists within our reality and the Vice universe.
95935B29-D3A8-4036-8E50-8A137BEB0512.thumb.jpeg.c5b017b101d9524ee7da4c2b5020ce37.jpeg

You’re completely right about the Crime Story connection though. 

• Like 2

Well Crockett mentions Don King in an episode long before the latter’s guest appearance in Down for the Count, so… :) 

• Like 2

Might make for an interesting reboot for Vice.  First season ends with Crockett and Tubbs finally making contact with a major player.  You just see an exchange of hands and the following dialogue:  "Burnett and Cooper....sure took long enough for us to set up this little rendezvous!"  "Montana...Tony Montana...I'm a very busy man Burnett"

4 hours ago, Miami Beau said:

Just to clarify, Miami Vice and Scarface do NOT take place in the same universe. It’s a movie that exists within our reality and the Vice universe.
95935B29-D3A8-4036-8E50-8A137BEB0512.thumb.jpeg.c5b017b101d9524ee7da4c2b5020ce37.jpeg

You’re completely right about the Crime Story connection though. 

Quite so.

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Well Crockett mentions Don King in an episode long before the latter’s guest appearance in Down for the Count, so… :) 

Hehe that’s true. They did the reversal of this with the character Danny Tepper. Made a guest star appearance then was name dropped for real in Season 4 :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1