Miami Vice - Misunderstood At Times?

Detective_Crockett

vor 2 Stunden schrieb wolfie1996:

Also, do you think that some people actually lack the ability to comprehend "deeper" topics? Maybe they live life on a shallower level mentally and emotionally. I know  some who would look at me as if I were speaking a foreign  language if I was talking about the finer points or significant dialogues or actions of MV.

I don't think they lack the ability. It's much more the fast-paced nature of our time. Just look at many films that exist today. At least to me, it always seems like one action scene follows another, but the stories no longer have the complex plots like the movies (or series) of yesteryear. The magic word is always "action", not the deep dialogues of the protagonists.
We love Vice because it has both. 

12 minutes ago, Christine said:

I don't think they lack the ability. It's much more the fast-paced nature of our time. Just look at many films that exist today. At least to me, it always seems like one action scene follows another, but the stories no longer have the complex plots like the movies (or series) of yesteryear. The magic word is always "action", not the deep dialogues of the protagonists.
We love Vice because it has both. 

Indeed it does!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

Also, do you think that some people actually lack the ability to comprehend "deeper" topics? Maybe they live life on a shallower level mentally and emotionally. I know  some who would look at me as if I were speaking a foreign  language if I was talking about the finer points or significant dialogues or actions of MV.

Perhaps there are some, but I think there is a bigger part of society that doesn’t want to dig too deep into some topics.  I won’t comment on there mental capability to do so, but rather that many choose to avoid complex or unpleasant topics.  Ignorance is bliss, as they say.  

I have a cousin who’s just a few years younger than me.  She’s a very sweet and caring woman, but has zero interest in the many issues in society that are troubling and complex.  She’s a middle class suburban mom and almost entirely focused on her family.  She’s the proverbial ostrich with her head in the sand.  She says it openly and is completely self-aware that she avoids any controversial or negative topic.  I’ve been at family gatherings in the past having some interesting conversations and she’s  even tried to get us to change subjects despite the rest of us enjoying the discussion.  

vor 8 Minuten schrieb pahonu:

Perhaps there are some, but I think there is a bigger part of society that doesn’t want to dig too deep into some topics.  I won’t comment on there mental capability to do so, but rather that many choose to avoid complex or unpleasant topics.  Ignorance is bliss, as they say.  

I have a cousin who’s just a few years younger than me.  She’s a very sweet and caring woman, but has zero interest in the many issues in society that are troubling and complex.  She’s a middle class suburban mom and almost entirely focused on her family.  She’s the proverbial ostrich with her head in the sand.  She says it openly and is completely self-aware that she avoids any controversial or negative topic.  I’ve been at family gatherings in the past having some interesting conversations and she’s  even tried to get us to change subjects despite the rest of us enjoying the discussion.  

Of course, there are people like that. They are happy in the little bubble they live in and don't need the rest of the world. My mother was also such a person.  She even said openly that she prefers to agree with others, even if inside she doesn't share their opinion, because that way she can avoid all discussions.
Dealing with complex issues or the opinions of others is exhausting. Some people don't like that.

As for other people, I am not saying that they are mentally incapable of dealing with complex issues. But many have very strenuous jobs in which they are challenged all day, plus long commutes. In some cases, they are on the road for twelve hours a day and at most want to occupy their minds with shallow things in the evening so that they can switch off.

• Like 1

i always wondered if internet advent didn't generate a sort of mental laziness among populations. sometimes i'm wondering if some people still can discern the instant grab internet offers from real life. like if everything had to be fast paced, even if poorly thought you know

Edited by jpaul1

vor 5 Minuten schrieb jpaul1:

i always wondered if internet advent didn't generate a sort of mental laziness among populations. sometimes i'm wondering if some people still can discern the instant grab internet offers from the real life. like if everything had to be fast paced, even if poorly thought

That's exactly what I mean. Everything has to happen quickly. Who, for example, would still take the time to look something up in a book today? You press a few buttons on the computer and find out what you want to know in no time at all. Yes, I think the Internet promotes mental laziness.
What also adds to it (at least I think it does): when I watched Vice in the 80s, there was one episode a week. I had to be patient until the next week and had time to think about the episode I had seen. Today, I can watch a whole season in a weekend, but when you watch them so quickly in a row, there's no time to think about anything.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Christine said:

Of course, there are people like that. They are happy in the little bubble they live in and don't need the rest of the world. My mother was also such a person.  She even said openly that she prefers to agree with others, even if inside she doesn't share their opinion, because that way she can avoid all discussions.
Dealing with complex issues or the opinions of others is exhausting. Some people don't like that.

As for other people, I am not saying that they are mentally incapable of dealing with complex issues. But many have very strenuous jobs in which they are challenged all day, plus long commutes. In some cases, they are on the road for twelve hours a day and at most want to occupy their minds with shallow things in the evening so that they can switch off.

Absolutely true.  Also, many people in poverty have to spend huge parts of their waking hours working just to make ends meet.  Leisure time and the ability expend time and energy on such topics is severely limited.  The end result for any of these groups is essentially the same, not digging into to topics in the depth we enjoy.

• Like 2

vor 9 Minuten schrieb pahonu:

Absolutely true.  Also, many people in poverty have to spend huge parts of their waking hours working just to make ends meet.  Leisure time and the ability expend time and energy on such topics is severely limited.  The end result for any of these groups is essentially the same, not digging into to topics in the depth we enjoy.

Just looking around my area, I'm struck by the fact that many who live in poverty also have no desire to deal with such issues. The son (then 17) of an acquaintance told me (before Corona) that they were asked at school what they wanted to do after graduation. This is somewhat different in Germany than in the U.S. and to explain it now would also lead too far. In any case, of the 20 students in this class, almost half said they wouldn't do anything and would apply for unemployment benefits like their parents. That would be a great way to live, you wouldn't have to struggle out of bed in the morning, deal with stupid bosses and colleagues, and you would get everything you need.
I'm not saying that there aren't people whose poverty is not their fault, but we all have to work. 

3 hours ago, Christine said:

Just looking around my area, I'm struck by the fact that many who live in poverty also have no desire to deal with such issues. The son (then 17) of an acquaintance told me (before Corona) that they were asked at school what they wanted to do after graduation. This is somewhat different in Germany than in the U.S. and to explain it now would also lead too far. In any case, of the 20 students in this class, almost half said they wouldn't do anything and would apply for unemployment benefits like their parents. That would be a great way to live, you wouldn't have to struggle out of bed in the morning, deal with stupid bosses and colleagues, and you would get everything you need.
I'm not saying that there aren't people whose poverty is not their fault, but we all have to work. 

The welfare state is less generous in the US than in many European nations.  I can’t speak directly to Germany’s circumstances, but I have quite a few students in my community in the LA area whose parents work multiple jobs and the oldest child ends up being responsible for caring for the siblings.  This was particularly noticeable during the fall and winter of the pandemic when all schools in my area were on distance learning.  

I work in a community with a high Latino population, including many recent immigrants.  The parents had to go to work in person because they didn’t hold white-collar, office type jobs. So I had multiple students, I teach mostly 16 and 17 year olds, who were responsible for younger siblings getting online for their classes.  I saw lots of children in the background on Chromebooks and my students had to step away to help them frequently.   The Latino community here was hit particularly hard by Covid, and I had multiple students lose family members.  ;(

• Like 1

I think Germany is often far too generous with unemployment benefits and social assistance. Certainly there are people who have no choice but to live on it, but there are enough who don't want to work and let themselves be fed by the state, so to speak. We should put a stop to that.
When I went to a doctor's appointment on Monday (yes, the last vaccination affected me more than I thought), I also overheard a conversation between a mother and her daughter, who was about 16 years old. The daughter said she needed a laptop so she could participate in homeschooling after the vacations, and the mother flatly refused to purchase it.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, great topic!

I just wanted to add my two cents here and say yes Miami Vice is by far the most underrated tv show of all time. There seems to be a major misconception here in regards to the show. Generally the show is considered fluffy, flashy and without much substance but this is so not the case. To be honest, even my first perception of the show was completely different to what the show actually was. 

Tom made a great point about the media and it’s portrayal of Vice throughout the years which I think has had a lasting effect. Just look at comedian James Cordon and David Beckham last year dressed up like Crockett and Tubbs. It was just so silly, unfunny and for me didn’t represent my favourite show. I dunno, maybe we should be grateful since the fluffy perception of the show has at least kept it in the public domain for over 30 years. It’s been parodied so many times on friends and The Simpsons. 

For me, one of the key things I love about Vice is the human stories. The whole Sonny arc literally starting in Brothers Keeper and ending in Freefall. Stan’s gambling addiction in season 5. The Castillo and May Ying saga, like that stuff is powerful. When I’ve spoken about the show like this to friends or colleagues, they just look confused. They assume bubble gum cops and robbers. That said, I’ve introduced many people to MV and they too have become fans themselves. 

Miami Vice has got so many amazing things going for it, different people can love different aspects of the show which is great. I just wish people would open there eyes more to see the amazing work that was created. Like season 4’s ‘Gods Work’ introducing the aids storyline. That whole thing is thought provoking. Miracle Man, one of the most misunderstood episodes in the entire series. I could go on forever but I’ll stop. 

That said, the show has aged very well and even now the Miami Vice community is growing. Younger generations like me, who were born after the show aired are able to now watch the show on streaming platforms/Blu-ray and appreciate it’s greatness. With its accessibility, over time I think more will appreciate the more in-depth aspects of the show like I do. 

Once again great topic, thanks for bringing this up because this doesn’t get discussed enough ;) 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Miami Beau said:

Hey everyone, great topic!

I just wanted to add my two cents here and say yes Miami Vice is by far the most underrated tv show of all time. There seems to be a major misconception here in regards to the show. Generally the show is considered fluffy, flashy and without much substance but this is so not the case. To be honest, even my first perception of the show was completely different to what the show actually was. 

Tom made a great point about the media and it’s portrayal of Vice throughout the years which I think has had a lasting effect. Just look at comedian James Cordon and David Beckham last year dressed up like Crockett and Tubbs. It was just so silly, unfunny and for me didn’t represent my favourite show. I dunno, maybe we should be grateful since the fluffy perception of the show has at least kept it in the public domain for over 30 years. It’s been parodied so many times on friends and The Simpsons. 

For me, one of the key things I love about Vice is the human stories. The whole Sonny arc literally starting in Brothers Keeper and ending in Freefall. Stan’s gambling addiction in season 5. The Castillo and May Ying saga, like that stuff is powerful. When I’ve spoken about the show like this to friends or colleagues, they just look confused. They assume bubble gum cops and robbers. That said, I’ve introduced many people to MV and they too have become fans themselves. 

Miami Vice has got so many amazing things going for it, different people can love different aspects of the show which is great. I just wish people would open there eyes more to see the amazing work that was created. Like season 4’s ‘Gods Work’ introducing the aids storyline. That whole thing is thought provoking. Miracle Man, one of the most misunderstood episodes in the entire series. I could go on forever but I’ll stop. 

That said, the show has aged very well and even now the Miami Vice community is growing. Younger generations like me, who were born after the show aired are able to now watch the show on streaming platforms/Blu-ray and appreciate it’s greatness. With its accessibility, over time I think more will appreciate the more in-depth aspects of the show like I do. 

Once again great topic, thanks for bringing this up because this doesn’t get discussed enough ;) 

Hey! You are that yt guy!

• Thanks 1