The Return Of Vice Fashion

Party_car1

1 hour ago, Party_car1 said:

Just read this. Came across it (like usual) by accident but kind of a fun read.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-ch/journal/fashion/the-pastel-soaked-return-of-miami-vice-style-1080220

Really cool article from a very reputable menswear source! :clap:

MV style is usually slammed or made fun of by fashion mags/blogs. It’s nice to see something good finally. 

That article seems to have been written just weeks before the pandemic began.  I wonder the effect, with the disappearance of social events.  I remember reading several articles about the struggles of fashion designers and business wear retailers as people stayed home and stretch pants, sweat pants and other casual wear took hold.  Business suit sales absolutely cratered, and no one was looking for new styles to to go out in.   When things pick up again, where will things be?  Just some thoughts. 

8 minutes ago, pahonu said:

That article seems to have been written just weeks before the pandemic began.  I wonder the effect, with the disappearance of social events.  I remember reading several articles about the struggles of fashion designers and business wear retailers as people stayed home and stretch pants, sweat pants and other casual wear took hold.  Business suit sales absolutely cratered, and no one was looking for new styles to to go out in.   When things pick up again, where will things be?  Just some thoughts. 

Those are all very good points. With so many people working from home over the past year, including a lot of executives,  it's no wonder the fashion industry has suffered. Styles are cyclical anyway. You only have to wait so long before things go "retro" and make a comeback. I think the pandemic really put people out of a fashion frame of mind in lieu of comfort. Though in Arizona,  that's the look a good 40 percent of the residents identify with anyway. We'll see if things turn around as things open up and people start venturing out more.

8 hours ago, Party_car1 said:

Those are all very good points. With so many people working from home over the past year, including a lot of executives,  it's no wonder the fashion industry has suffered. Styles are cyclical anyway. You only have to wait so long before things go "retro" and make a comeback. I think the pandemic really put people out of a fashion frame of mind in lieu of comfort. Though in Arizona,  that's the look a good 40 percent of the residents identify with anyway. We'll see if things turn around as things open up and people start venturing out more.

I was thinking about the concept of fashion cycles and it occurred to me that the disruption of the pandemic might have some bigger or more long term effect.  I also was thinking about the timing... as in the Vice pastel style is just ready for a comeback and the pandemic hits.  Then when it’s over, something else is more popular.  ;(