Dead Bang

Rick111

I saw the 1988 movie "Dead Bang" again after many years starring Don Johnson.

The character looks like Sonny Crocket. He is an older and somewhat seedy version of him. It doesn't have the glamour, the songs or the Ferrari, but the character is there.

In a way it feels like it's a continuation of where the story left off at the end of the series.

Did anyone else watch and get this impression?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick111 said:

The character looks like Sonny Crocket. He is an older and somewhat seedy version of him. It doesn't have the glamour, the songs or the Ferrari, but the character is there.

In a way it feels like it's a continuation of where the story left off at the end of the series.

I wish I could get hold of this film but I think the dvds are only available in region1 format. Any ideas , anyone, re availability?

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Rick111:

Yes I think the character had some elements of Crockett. But the movie was done in 1989 (DJ filmed Sweetheart´s dance in 1988 with Jeff Daniels in between 4-5th seasons), but Dead Bang was filmed AFTER MV was over.

It was one of the last movies of John Frankenheimer. Frank Military (Nobody lives forever, writer of "Little Miss Dangerous") and Bob Balaban (Ira Stone) was in it too. Good movie.

27 minutes ago, Rick111 said:

Wolfie1996,

It is available on m4ufree.to website.

https://m4ufree.to/movie/dead-bang-1989-oa7yw.html

Cheers.

27 minutes ago, Rick111 said:

Wolfie1996,

It is available on m4ufree.to website.

https://m4ufree.to/movie/dead-bang-1989-oa7yw.html

Cheers.

Hmm..did try that but got a warning from BT not to go there as it isn't a safe site. I'd buy the bloody thing except you can be sure it won't play in region 2. Wiseguy was the same but I did manage to get season 1 from youtube. (Bit by bit :) ) It's excellent if you haven't seen it.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

I wish I could get hold of this film but I think the dvds are only available in region1 format. Any ideas , anyone, re availability?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dead+bang+don+johnson&crid=23CTXVK1RB364&sprefix=Dead+Bang%2Caps%2C170&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_

or   https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Dead+Bang&_sacat=0

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

But the movie was done in 1989 (DJ filmed Sweetheart´s dance in 1988 with Jeff Daniels in between 4-5th seasons), but Dead Bang was filmed AFTER MV was over.

I'm not really sure about that...Dead Bang was released on March 24, 1989 and I think filming of Miami Vice continued into April '89. DJ said in an interview that they permed his hair for Dead Bang - that was the reason for Sonny all of a sudden having curly hair in Season 5. So Dead Bang was most likely filmed during the hiatus between S4 and S5

Update: imdb lists filming dates for Sweet Hearts Dance as April 1987 and for Dead Bang as 14 April 1988 - July 1988. After Miami Vice had ended, DJ went to shoot "The Hot Spot" from 14 August 1989 - 21 October 1989

Edited by daytona365

I loved it when Johnson's Jerry Beck throws up early in the film, with Ira Stone, er, Elliott Webley in tow. The man was a wreck, but he got results. Definitely a Vice vibe here, with DJ, Bob Balaban, and Penelope Ann Miller in the cast. I like this film actually, and Johnson's "The Hot Spot" as well (what a used car salesman he was, even selling HIMSELF there to become a car salesman. Talk about a shady guy though:-).