RIP Clarence Williams III aka Legba

TheGreatMcCarthy

• Administrators

Loved him as Lincoln Hayes on "The Mod Squad"  He also played Prince's father in "Purple Rain"

R.I.P. ;(

I have merged the 2 topics.

• Like 2

Ah, man, I loved him as Legba!  He played a perfect Zombie-like character who totally creeped me out!! I remember him in Mod Squad, too.  

He will definitely be missed!

• Like 2

RIP to a fine actor who had a marvelous performance in one of my favorite episodes.  ;(

It would be nice if, like Legba, he is not really dead and it's just a false report.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

He had a way to stare at someone similar to Castillo. Nevertheless his way was more spooky and fitted well to Legbas role. RIP Legba

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dadrian said:

He was also great in Dave Chappelle’s silly “Half Baked” movie. 

Wow, I haven't seen this. Thanks!

12 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

He is terrifying in "Against the Wall"

What a performance.

Holy Smoke! That was some performance!

• Like 2

Really sad to hear about this. He was a fine actor who so much of his work is easy to recommend but one that truly scared the heck out of me as a kid was his role in a horror anthology film called Tales from the Hood where he plays a funeral home owner who presents the stories told in the film. Really recommend that one to horror fans especially fans of the Creepshow/Tales from the Crypt variety of horror films. He was also in another underrated favorite of mine called Deep Cover with Laurence Fishburne, Jeff Goldblum and Gregory Sierra as a memorable but particularly nasty drug lord. Clarence role was a bit smaller in that film but a very memorable one as a Narcotics detective. Too many other films to mention as about anything he was in he was always memorable no matter what the role was or how small it was.

R.I.P., Clarence.

• Like 4

Sad to hear: I liked Clarence Williams III in so many things (Sinbad name-dropped him in the 1995 film "Houseguest" as well). I thought he was fantastic as Legba, and ""Purple Rain", along with "The Mod Squad" has been mentioned, but he was also in "52 pick-Up" (John Glover! Vanity!), "Deep Cover" (Laurence Fishburne!), and I'm all about those two films (I actually like "Reindeer Games" too, so I'll also count that!). I think he had a really good career and could play an action guy, a mentor-type, a mean thug, or,...wow, whatever we want to classify Legba as (a brooding, mystical, sinister criminal?). I also feel he was one of those performers who reinvented his career a few times and was successful at it.

• Like 1