Is a 9mm pistol good defense vs bears?

cageyJG

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz70RhcqR1Y

Just surfing around and wondered if anyone had logged any opinions on what are the choice pistols for backcountry camping. Disclaimer: I have never been one to get in gun arguments, and I came in with no opinion.

3 hours ago, cageyJG said:

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz70RhcqR1Y

Just surfing around and wondered if anyone had logged any opinions on what are the choice pistols for backcountry camping. Disclaimer: I have never been one to get in gun arguments, and I came in with no opinion.

I’m not a gun expert by any means, and don’t own one in fact, but I have two close friends of mine from college who spent multiple seasons in Yellowstone National Park.  One is currently a National Park ranger there and has confronted grizzly on more than one occasion.  I should add that a camper was just killed by a griz near there within the last week or so.  Also, my other friend knew a woman badly mauled by one though she survived.

While my ranger friend has never had to use his weapon with a griz, his basic advice is “a shotgun is king against large mammals“.  He carries one during the summer tourist season and also in the winter when he goes along on snow coach rides. Perhaps a powerful handgun could be effective but a less than accurate shot could prove deadly.  The same would be true with a high power rifle.  If you’re hunting them, it may be effective, but if you’re surprised by one…

His name is Bob Kisthart, if you want to look up some of his beautiful photos on Flickr.  

Bob Kisthart

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators

I personally have found a .25 acp is all that is needed in bear country. It is in fact the perfect caliber to shoot your buddy in the knee cap as you run away to safety and he gets eaten instead of you. Stay safe out there! 

YMMV. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Shotgun's not going to be all that great, especially against a grizzly. And then both gauge and the kind of ammo you're using is going to be king. Shooting a bear with .410 bird shot is only going to annoy it. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a .357 magnum, honestly, but in most cases bear spray works fine (if you're dealing with a run of the mill black or brown bear).

The only recent griz fatality I'm aware of happened near where I am, but involved someone who had food in their tent and then moved it later. Food in the tent breaks the first rule of being in bear country. You might as well smear yourself with bacon grease and go walking upwind of a bear...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

The only recent griz fatality I'm aware of happened near where I am, but involved someone who had food in their tent and then moved it later. Food in the tent breaks the first rule of being in bear country. You might as well smear yourself with bacon grease and go walking upwind of a bear...

Just a few days ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7899432002

Edited by pahonu

2 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Yeah, that's up near us, not Yellowstone Park. She had food in the tent earlier in the evening, then moved it later. But by then it's too late. In bear country you NEVER have food in the tent.

Absolutely!  

I should add that only sidearms are allowed for non-park personal in Yellowstone so the shotgun option is moot.

i'm not a weapon expert, but i hunted during a part of my life. the .12 slug is a good advice. I mean there's no animal on earth that wouldn't be shocked by a .12 slug hit. apart from this you have monster calibers designed for very big game like the .454. be sure to train before, if you go for that handgun. because it's very powerful. But i'm pretty sure that used properly it can keep biggest bears at bay. personnally when i go running in places i know there are agressive dogs i take a gel bomb with me. it's like pepper gas but in gel, and you can use it even in windy conditions. according to the hunting shop seller who sold it to me it's very efficient. Not sure it'll fit for big bears though. if you buy one of these don't try it before use. if you test it then you can get micro leaks, and it becomes inactive when needed. or eventually buy a second one for tests. Bears are some of the animals (if not the animals) with the better sense of smell, so yeah keeping the food away seems a good advice

In a semiautomatic handgun I would choose the 10MM with FMJ Bullets to improve penetration. In a revolver I'd likely choose a .44Mag with a heavy SWC type bullet. 

• Like 1

Chris Kyle famous sniper loved the .45 for defense. according to him it's one of the best stopping handguns. but for humans, means 100 kg max

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

Chris Kyle famous sniper loved the .45 for defense. according to him it's one of the best stopping handguns. but for humans, means 100 kg max

Male grizzlies, 300kg + :eek:

35 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Male grizzlies, 300kg + :eek:

yeah but black bears are smaller. still bigger than human for the most. yeah for a grizzly, if you want to be 100% sure to stop him/her i think best choice is the .454. even though other calibers like the .44 could fit. You could also just search the internet for good repulsives

Shot placement is key with a big bear no matter what you're using. You also have to practice with the weapon.

Camping is fine so long as you don't do stupid stuff like having food in the tent at any point. Also, honestly, I'd be more concerned about a mountain lion. On the whole you can hear the bear coming. Big cats are a different story...they might follow you for days before they decide to do something. Or not do something.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 12:32 AM, Gary1911A1 said:

In a semiautomatic handgun I would choose the 10MM with FMJ Bullets to improve penetration. In a revolver I'd likely choose a .44Mag with a heavy SWC type bullet. 

I also would go with the Sonny loadout.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cageyJG said:

I also would go with the Sonny loadout.

Just don't shoot for the head. Grizzles have very thick skulls... Shot placement, remember? It means everything.

• Like 1