Nice greetings from the VICE location department!

Tom

@miamijimf@Matt5@airtommy@Crockettt@Dadrian@daytona365

In order to get some help with the remaining 20 locations I tried to contact some ex-crew members. One of them, Michael Jarvis who was assistant location manager in season 1, was kind enough to respond and to look at our locations section here and also to @C Glides location site and find some minor flaws there to comment. I asked him if he by the chance can remember where Noogie´s bar (in Golden Triangle and Made for each other), the domino park in Give a little and the hair salon in Home invaders were and sent one picture each for reference. Michael is still in location scouting, also worked in the MV movie. Website: http://www.mjarvis.net/

Here is his kind reply:

Hi Thomas,

Good to hear from you. I'm amazed by the detailed work you're doing and the websites.

However, due to the many years since my time on Vice, I can't recall the specific locations you mention.
We were always prepping and shooting the current episode and scouting the next one, so the pace was very fast.
The photos are not quite helpful enough to jog such deep memories.

The show was about 80% location, 20% stage.
The salon could have been a set.

I looked at your Opening Montage breakdown and noticed a couple of errors.

#11 Biscayne Kennel Club - was located in Miami Shores, not Miami Beach.

#19 & 20 Sunset from MacArthur Cswy - you can't see clean sunsets from that cswy since the city is directly west. Even sunrise from there would look different than those photos.
19 was shot from the Rickenbacker Cswy (to Key Biscayne) and could have been sunset since the sun is still high enough. 20 looks like sunrise over Key Biscayne from the bay.

An interesting note on Miami Vice. Twenty years later I worked on the movie version directed by Michael Mann. 
Nothing like the television series, which irritated fans of that show. But he wanted to make something new and he did.

I'm still scouting locations but lately I'm more interested in writing.

Best regards, and good luck,
Michael
Edited by Tom
  • Like 7