MV was realistic....to an extent

S.FL84

Not the point I was making which was Daoud was in real life a proven (later) corrupt politico.  He used to ride around WHILE HE WAS FREAKIN' MAYOR and beat up street criminals.

http://www.sinsofsouthbeach.com/

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/06/27/notorious-father-faces-eviction-by-daughter/

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/suspects-in-brutal-ocean-drive-mugging-caught-by-cops-with-politician-tagging-along-8689760

"In 1979, then-Miami Beach Commissioner Alex Daoud "actively participated in the brutal police beating of three suspected rapists" while on a ride-along with cops.

It's been decades since Daoud and those rogue cops participated in what they called "attitude-adjustment sessions." But that doesn't mean Miami Beach's elected officials aren't itching to get out on the streets."

Edited by S.FL84

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 7:10 PM, Robbie C. said:

So DJ has bad taste in friends. Big deal.

LOL!!!!  I love Robbie C's response----that was surprisingly what the 80's Miami felt about all of that. 

Years after Miami Vice had closed, I think it was a TV Guide feature story on "remembering Miami Vice", I was reading, and a revelation to me in the feature, that Miami actually was very much like the coke-happy night party atmosphere that the tv series showed..."why should we care that the cops don't approve of some of the criminals that operate in our town?  As long as we can keep the white powder party going, who should mind HOW the powder got here?  It's Miami!  Take a relaxation pill, Crockett, and just  come into the hot sultry pool with us!"  

So Roy Potchette mixes with some questionable Columbian element when he's not hosting our hot marina parties.  That's not important, cuz when he IS hosting our marina parties, he knows how to provide the best nose massage you've ever sniffed off glass.  

That was SO close to what the real 80's Miami was.  I was shocked.  I thought it was ALL just fun MTV-inspired fiction....

Edited by Augusta

• 1 year later...

To reiterate my thread's point & in fact to tell the REAL reason for the existence of the story line(s) MV was centered on it doesn't get more realistic and true-to-life than C&T's confrontation of the Wall Street Banker.  Again I have to reference Glen Frey's SMUGGLER's BLUES lyrics "Its propping up the government of Columbia & Peru, you ask any DEA man he say's there's nothing we can.  From the office of the president to me & you".  (!)  WOW!!! That is as real and true to cocaine's effect in the early 1980s as it gets.  

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, S.FL84 said:

To reiterate my thread's point & in fact to tell the REAL reason for the existence of the story line(s) MV was centered on it doesn't get more realistic and true-to-life than C&T's confrontation of the Wall Street Banker.  Again I have to reference Glen Frey's SMUGGLER's BLUES lyrics "Its propping up the government of Columbia & Peru, you ask any DEA man he say's there's nothing we can.  From the office of the president to me & you".  (!)  WOW!!! That is as real and true to cocaine's effect in the early 1980s.  

I thought the J.B. Johnston scene was very dangerous for the political establishment, he was basically telling us how it is. I don't know how the producers got away with filming that.

Back when "Vice" was on another level.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

Excellent reply.  My response is they, just like the Wall Street banker, knew they were & still are untouchable.  Isn't it interesting how all we're told is Putin is killing innocent little kiddies...but never told WHY he wants that little piece of real estate so badly?

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1