MV Artists We Love....

mjcmmv

There should have been much more Bryan Ferry tracks, I would say at least 10 in the series.

His music had the winning formula.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

There should have been much more Bryan Ferry tracks, I would say at least 10 in the series.

His music had the winning formula.

An amazing artist...

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Steve Jones. the guy is an abused child. He was a complete garbbage person in his youth. not bad minded, but the kind that would steal compulsory, or have sex with his friends girlfriends without remorse. he felt really deep into alcoholism, and drug addiction. to a point he was what we commonly call a junkie. But the man stood up. and decided to walk down the redemption path. it was a difficult path, but he hung up. even sometimes going as far as calling the people he stole decades ago, and ask them how he could fix the prejudice. Mercy (which is one of my series fav) was his first album after having started his redemption curve. it was an unusual style from a sex pistols founder. but he shows in that track all his musician talents. He also used to animate a very popular radio show in California (not sure if it's still the case..)

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 5

The UK band 'Fashion' were a great find.

Miami Vice had the John Peel effect, giving underground bands a platform to be heard.

If it wasn't for this series I don't think I would have discovered so many bands, it was like gateway to underappreciated music. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb RedDragon86:

The UK band 'Fashion' were a great find.

Miami Vice had the John Peel effect, giving underground bands a platform to be heard.

If it wasn't for this series I don't think I would have discovered so many bands, it was like gateway to underappreciated music. 

True. But this is thanks to one person: Fred Lyle, associate producer and music buff. He found and selected the music. And as I share his hobby I know how many hours in dusty record shops  it took in the 80s to find these hidden pearls. It took me 15 years to find all MV music he selected before online shops emerged.

Today it would be easy with the internet to find, but there are no hidden gems anymore. Music nowadays is focused solely on hit parade stuff with 3:00 min and there is no room for underground and indie like it was in the 80s. And songs like Brothers in arms with 7:00 or State of emergency with 7:30 (intro alone 1:40) would not be written anymore.

even in the air tonight which is sometimes played on radio is cut off too early before the final fade out because it‘s „too long“ :birdie:

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom said:

True. But this is thanks to one person: Fred Lyle, associate producer and music buff. He found and selected the music. And as I share his hobby I know how many hours in dusty record shops  it took in the 80s to find these hidden pearls. It took me 15 years to find all MV music he selected before online shops emerged.

Today it would be easy with the internet to find, but there are no hidden gems anymore. Music nowadays is focused solely on hit parade stuff with 3:00 min and there is no room for underground and indie like it was in the 80s. And songs like Brothers in arms with 7:00 or State of emergency with 7:30 (intro alone 1:40) would not be written anymore.

even in the air tonight which is sometimes played on radio is cut off too early before the final fade out because it‘s „too long“ :birdie:

with all due respect, i disagree with that point of view. in electro genre i often come across rare tracks while listening to the radio. then when i search for the track on YT i come across official vids that have very few views. sometimes just a couple of hundreds on a planet level. Here are a couple of examples:

Edited by jpaul1

vor 9 Minuten schrieb jpaul1:

with all due respect, i disagree with that point of view. in electro genre i often come across rare tracks while listening to the radio. then when i search for the track on YT i come across official vids that have very few views. sometimes just a couple of hundreds on a planet level. Here are a couple of examples:

Exceptions like special radio channels prove the rule. But the majority of today’s music is purely chart driven whereas there was a much bigger non chart scene 30 years ago. If Fred Lyle tried today to find good contemporary incidental(=non chart) music for MV it would simply be impossible to find. He would have to take 20-30 year old stuff instead. 

I agree with jpaul on the finding part.  A song is truly a piece of artwork, done by somebody and her/his helpers.  It will get noticed if it occurs or aligns with current or exciting new trend-interests right around the corner (for better or for worse, LOL), or it will just as easily sit on a wooden or fully-digital shelf getting undiscovered until a Tom or jpaul stumbles over it 32 years later.  

Radio/MusicVid/Website/TV were always MOSTLY chart-driven (...money market driven), but I can't curse them cuz they surely helped some of these pieces get the attention they deserved---and no, I can't praise them too much since they doomed a lot of other pieces from ever getting what they just as much deserved for being honestly GOOD works.  But thankfully, ART pieces buried under a pile of shite for years still blows your mind when you eventually spot it,... so long as it's dormant intact and not destroyed.  You can't do that with a pizza.  Nor a great fashion dress.  Those things rot.  
Put your non-chart song on a disc and abandon it somewhere for 47 years.  I guarantee you we'll find it, find it and love it.   
I stumbled across three of my last five favorite songs in my mom's old LPs (we were about to junk them), and one I discovered on Russian Radio last year.  I suspect non-chart attitude is still around and still high, but we just do our searches quieter thanks to our tech route

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Same for me. So true!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tom said:

For me Fred Lyle is an absolute genius and does not get enough credit he deserves. I hold Fred in an extremely high regard. Like with Jan Hammer, as the years go by and I continue to rewatch the show, my appreciation for their work rises. The fact Fred Lyle stayed on through all 5 seasons was a blessing as we still had an array of awesome tracks from relatively unknowns right up until the end of the show. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Kalci said:

Thanks for posting. I did not know about this music video ! Actually really cool

It makes me want to watch Red Tape again. Powerful scene!

• Like 1