Adieu, Bébel

daytona365

Maybe not known to many here, legendary French actor Jean-Paul Belmondo (nicknamed "Bébel") has passed away on Monday, Sept. 6th at the age of 88. He was the star of many cool French action movies of the 60s through 80s. His unconventional looks - flattened nose, full lips and muscular frame - allowed him to play roles from thug to police officer, thief to priest, Cyrano de Bergerac to an unshakable secret agent. Belmondo was also a gifted athlete who often did his own stunts.

Pinterest Épinglé par Edel sur Portrait | Jean paul belmondo, Paul belmondo, Jean paul image.thumb.png.8b7d8c296862d990692f7ae234877c2e.png  

"Belmondo is not just the name of a movie star, it's a verb that represents vitality, charisma,a force of will, it represents super coolness,"
- Quentin Tarantino -

In "Le Professionel" (1981), he even anticipated the Sonny Crockett look...

grafik.png.a16feeb51e2dd72d3168920dcc1e97b7.png grafik.png.851bd1bc4041fb4445e460231be320b8.png grafik.png.1ee0cec900fee35db430a597b451917a.png

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 5

Thanks for this hommage for Bebel ... I met him years ago, and was a VERY kind man. He was one of the prolific actor for years.

And yes, in "Le Professionnel" ... He got many looks, even a VICE look :p ...

RIP Bebel ;(

Edited by Kladdagh
Some Mistakes

Thanks for this obituary!

I always admired him as a kid. He was one of my earliest action heroes, in a time when there was no cable TV and most movies were just the same boring stuff with less humor. He did many movies and had a huge bandwidth, but I remember him most in his 80s movies where he often played a relaxed James Bond type of character, like in "Le Guignolo" (1980) where he did all his stunts and hung off a helicopter over Venice. Also the "Professionel" is a classic and had lots of VICE elements, not just by its looks, but also as it ended deadly for the hero, something that was very unusual for that time.

That Bebel has died also means to other things:

• it is a reminder how great the French movies were in the 70s and 80s (Bebel, Delon, de Funes, earlier Gabain) and that there is nothing comparable left today
  • I am feeling very old now as most of my childhood heroes are gone or over the hill :hot:
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tarantino got it all. that dude was coolness personnified. not only in movies, but also in life. All his friends, and people who met him used to tell he was a super cool guy in private. Much, much loved in his homeland. people doing the unanimity like him are very rare. Maybe De funes, the only one i can find

• Like 1