37 Years Ago Today…

Dadrian

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

thank you for reminding me my age Dadrian :)

Age aside, I'm happy to say   "I was there when..!" ;)

• Like 4

Senior year in college.  Damn I'm an old fart!  I was watching along with dozens of other students in the dormitory tv lounge. After viewing this amazing first show I knew it was required viewing on Friday nights!! 

• Like 4

I was the ripe ol age of 3 going on 4, so I unfortunately missed the premier.  My shows at the time were He-Man, Dukes of Hazzard, and The Fall Guy.  I have faint memories of watching Magnum P.I. with my mother, so I'm not sure why she didn't let me watch Vice.  She thought Tom Selleck was cute, so that probably has something to do with it. 

• Like 2

I was there.  At the time, one of my best friends was attending a school in another city so we mailed each other home-made "magazines" detailing what we were up to, what music we were listening to, which movies and TV shows we were watching.  I still have a copy of one issue I sent him that fall with my review of Miami Vice (along with reviews of other new fall shows).  I wrote:

"Miami Vice is outstanding. The performances are great, the photography is sumptious [sic] and the plots & the way they are filmed are absolutely riveting. It's fun, intelligent and chic.  The same can't be said for most new action shows like Riptide and Hawaiian Heat."

It looks like I dug it, but, funnily enough, I later grew tired of it and stopped watching in the 2nd season.  What a heretic I was! I remember thinking it had become too popular and thus had lost its edge.  (I was the type of youth who jeered "commercial" songs and shows and was always on the lookout for fresh stuff. 

Happily, I've been able to catch up on what I originally missed and it's not one of my all-time favorite television series. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I was there.  At the time, one of my best friends was attending a school in another city so we mailed each other home-made "magazines" detailing what we were up to, what music we were listening to, which movies and TV shows we were watching.  I still have a copy of one issue I sent him that fall with my review of Miami Vice (along with reviews of other new fall shows).  I wrote:

"Miami Vice is outstanding. The performances are great, the photography is sumptious [sic] and the plots & the way they are filmed are absolutely riveting. It's fun, intelligent and chic.  The same can't be said for most new action shows like Riptide and Hawaiian Heat."

It looks like I dug it, but, funnily enough, I later grew tired of it and stopped watching in the 2nd season.  What a heretic I was! I remember thinking it had become too popular and thus had lost its edge.  (I was the type of youth who jeered "commercial" songs and shows and was always on the lookout for fresh stuff. 

Happily, I've been able to catch up on what I originally missed and it's not one of my all-time favorite television series. 

living on the edge, totally 80s :) :thumbsup:

I didn’t even know that MV existed when it premiered in September 84. I first learnt about it when the pilot premiered in my country (and most of Europe as it seemed too progressive and crazy to many TV stations in 84/85) two years later. So I had the stellar pilot experience in December 86. But then I was hooked and I hope I have caught up these two years properly ever since :p

• Like 4

Crazy it’s been 37 years, soon to be the big 40. I wasn’t born until 1991 so I missed the original NBC run. I didn’t see the pilot until 2007 when I was 16. A tv channel called Men and Motors aired the entire 5 seasons back to back every night.

I initially caught some episodes like “Cool Runnin” and “The Great McCarthy” on tv. My mum then purchased the strange Miami Vice DVD that contained only the first 8 episodes. Anyways I popped it on and watched “Brother’s Keeper” for the first time. Given I had already seen Crockett and Tubbs in action, it was nice to see how it all started. 

5453D561-552C-4B50-A265-518E9DB20670.jpeg

• Like 2

Amazing 37 years !

”you know you are getting old even your heroes are over the hill”! :)

(Sonny to Rico in Season 5s “To Have and to Hold”).

of course our guys aren’t over the hill .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

of course our guys aren’t over the hill .

I’m not as young as I used to be, but I’m younger than I feel. :) 

• Like 2