What rhum do you buy

jpaul1

Hi, i'm looking for a good rhum brand. i recently discovered a nice brand called Havana club. it's priced at a reasonable price (around 15€ the bottle), and it's pretty good. I don't buy Martinique, or Guadeloupe rhums as i heard they ruined the soil there with pesticides. according to what i heard it has reached an environmental disaster there. So i'm trying cuban rhum right now. i heard that being under blocus made them take care of their soil. i heard that organic has always been more or less the norm there. I don't know if that's true. I heard that, but in the same time it's hard to believe that being massively backed up by the CCCP they didn't use any pesticide.

i was surprised to see that behind the Bacardi bottle there was printed imported from Puerto rico also

what rhum do you buy. is organic rhum really worth it? it's pretty expensive (globally twice the price of a normal bottle)

Edited by jpaul1

Organic is an excuse to triple the price of pretty much anything, honestly. And you can never really be 100% sure it IS organic at the end of the day.

Bacardi has always pretty much been Puerto Rican rum as far as I know.

As for rum itself...depends on if you like light or dark rum. I'm more of a dark rum fan personally, and there are a number of decent brands out there in just about every price range. Papa's Pilar 24 was pretty good. It's blended in Florida from a number of different base rums. It runs about $45US.

• Thanks 1

Mount Gay from Barbados distills varieties with flavor profiles distinct from many other rums.  Some can be had for under $40 US, though their best is $$$.  I recommend their black barrel.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Organic is an excuse to triple the price of pretty much anything, honestly. And you can never really be 100% sure it IS organic at the end of the day.

Bacardi has always pretty much been Puerto Rican rum as far as I know.

As for rum itself...depends on if you like light or dark rum. I'm more of a dark rum fan personally, and there are a number of decent brands out there in just about every price range. Papa's Pilar 24 was pretty good. It's blended in Florida from a number of different base rums. It runs about $45US.

Thanks for the post. But without entering the controversial i'm not very keen to buy Florida rhum. I heard pretty bad things about the sugarcane industry. i heard most of the everglades drying was caused by canals dug for the sugarcane. heard also the Okechobee lake was in (very) bad shape because of pesticides. that the reed invasion was caused by pesticides. and that the right thing to do would be to buy sugarcane lands and give them back to the wild. So you can understand i'm not very keen to buy this

Edited by jpaul1

36 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

Thanks for the post. But without entering the controversial i'm not very keen to buy Florida rhum. I heard pretty bad things about the sugarcane industry. i heard most of the everglades drying was caused by canals dug for the sugarcane. heard also the Okechobee lake was in (very) bad shape because of pesticides. that the reed invasion was caused by pesticides. and that the right thing to do would be to buy sugarcane lands and give them back to the wild. So you can understand i'm not very keen to buy this

Perhaps you’ve already looked into it, but most rums today are made from sugar cane from Central America and the Caribbean, regardless of where they are distilled.  I’m not familiar with Papa Pilar rum, but it’s probably worth investigating.  

Just as a suggestion, one of the best rum drinks I’ve ever had was made by a friend of mine on a sail to Santa Catalina Island of the coast of Southern California.  It included Mount Gay rum, fresh lime juice, simple syrup, and sparkling water over ice.  I don’t know the proportions or even the name, but the recipe is probably out there somewhere.

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

It's blended in Florida...from rum from a variety of other places (the Caribbean, Central and South America, and so on). One thing you need to understand about distilling and bottling in the US is that it's legal in many states to essentially bottle or finish liquors in one place that don't necessarily originate there. That's why I said "blended" and not "distilled." It's also often easier to do it this way, as you don't need as much equipment.

• Like 1

your both inputs are interesting. some sellers say papa pilar sugarcane comes from north america (among others). but it also seems the company is focused on environmentalism. they're even donating a part of their proceedings to some associations. typically the kind of company that won't buy to sources if they harm the environment. The thing is i find the bottle a bit expensive. this is almost 4 times the price of my little 7 yo Havana club that i have to say is not bad at all. Talking about Havana club according to my (nightly) searches, it seems it's a pretty good brand too. As they are also selling 15 yo rhum at 140€ the bottle. which is even more expensive than the Mount gay 1703

@pahonui buy rhum to make myself few planteurs from time to time. it's very similar drink to the one you're describing :cheers:

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1