Poll time #2

Adrian321

Season 1 vs Season 2  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Out of the first 2 seasons, which one did you enjoy more, per total, all things considered, like music, guest stars, cars, stories...... Since both are on the same category of initial, light and bright MV.

• Season 1 (1984-1985)
    • Season 2 (1985-1986)

Since the last poll was a good succes in starting discussion and the sharing of opinions; I've thought, why not start another ?

This time about another heavy topic, which is:

What was the better season; the first or second ?

I have voted for Season 2, but it won only by small margin. Mostly because by the start of the season they had truly polished Vice formula to perfection, whereas when watching Season 1 it feels that they were still figuring themselves out. There definitely are some eps in the 1 season that just fall flat, as opposed to Season 2 where no episode is skippable in my view - yes even much dreaded Free Verse.  

• Like 2

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Viceguy said:

I have voted for Season 2, but it won only by small margin. Mostly because by the start of the season they had truly polished Vice formula to perfection, whereas when watching Season 1 it feels that they were still figuring themselves out. There definitely are some eps in the 1 season that just fall flat, as opposed to Season 2 where no episode is skippable in my view - yes even much dreaded Free Verse.  

Agreed. Look at the transformation of Crockett from the earliest episodes to the later season 1 episodes like "Evan"  By the end of season 1, Sonny's stubbled look was defined, as opposed to being clean shaven in earlier episodes. 

Even Lt. Rodriguez came across like your average generic cop show Lieutenant and once he was gone Castillo brought a more serious feel to the show.  I love season 1 but the show finally found it's look and feel by season 2.

Tough choice

• Like 2

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Ferrariman:

Agreed. Look at the transformation of Crockett from the earliest episodes to the later season 1 episodes like "Evan"  By the end of season 1, Sonny's stubbled look was defined, as opposed to being clean shaven in earlier episodes. 

Even Lt. Rodriguez came across like your average generic cop show Lieutenant and once he was gone Castillo brought a more serious feel to the show.  I love season 1 but the show finally found it's look and feel by season 2.

Tough choice

Yep, I agree with most arguments, tough choice and small margin, but I decided for season 1 after some thinking. Overall script quality was better in season 1 (only one dud for me, Glades). Season 2 had too many flat scripts with less tension for my taste (Junk Love, Free Verse, Definetely Miami, Florence Italy) and although the style (visuals, colors) were unbelievable, it was partly "too much candy" for me.

But someone has to sit on the other side of the swing in this poll :p

• Like 1

I picked season 2 for similar reasons as stated above, plus it has my favorite episode Out Where the Buses Don’t Run, and probably my second favorite Little Miss Dangerous.  I also recall from watching it at the time that they began using many non-actors in season 2 and would advertise it during the week leading up to the episode.  It was by then a massive hit and they could draw in these celebrities. Some of them worked out well, like Phil Collins, Ted Nugent and G. Gordon Liddy, others less so like Miles Davis, Danny Sullivan, and Bill Russell.  Either way it seemed exciting and new at the time.  I also appreciate now that they brought in actors not in their heyday but with earlier celebrity like Eartha Kitt and Clarence Williams III. 

• Like 2

Season 2 but it was a very hard choice. Overall episodes like The Prodigal Son, O.W.T.B.D.R, Bushido, Definitely Miami, One Way Ticket, Back In The World, Phil The Shil, Payback and Sons and Lovers are true classics of the series and hold a lot of rewatchability for me. With that, I tend to revisit season 2 a little more. 

The two poorest episodes for me in Season 1 are Glades and Made For Eachother. 
The two poorest episodes for me in Season 2 are Tale of The Goat and The Fix. That said, I’d take Goat/The Fix in season 2 over Glades/Eachother. 

• Like 2

i don't think like that. For me all episodes are cool. I enjoy all of them, and each has something interesting. whatever it is architecture, scenic views, music, or whatever. maybe you should have added a No opinion choice, my 2¢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

i don't think like that. For me all episodes are cool. I enjoy all of them, and each has something interesting. whatever it is architecture, scenic views, music, or whatever. maybe you should have added a No opinion choice, my 2¢

I can also find things I like in just about every episode, maybe even all of them, but some have a lot more of those elements than others.  Likewise, some seasons have a lot more things I like than others.  I made my decision simply by how often I will rewatch episodes.  

I don’t watch the episodes in order like many do.  In fact, I’ve never seen all the episodes in order, other than the original run.  Even then, I’m sure I missed a few in the first three seasons, and by the last two seasons I missed many as I slowly lost interest.

Still, I have seen them all now many times, but I return to several over and over again.  That’s basically how I decided in this case.  I have more season 2 episodes than season 1 that I watch repeatedly.  That says something, subconsciously perhaps, about what I prefer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

The only episode I don't like out of seasons 1 and 2 is "The Maze" 

Strangely this one seems to be quite unpopular with many fans. This has always puzzled me. For all its flaws it is still a few notches above some lackluster fillers such as  Give a little, take a little. But to each his own, I guess. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Viceguy said:

Strangely this one seems to be quite unpopular with many fans. This has always puzzled me. For all its flaws it is still a few notches above some lackluster fillers such as  Give a little, take a little. But to each his own, I guess. 

It's too depressing for my taste, I don't think its a bad episode.

It's the sort of gritty storyline that would work well in a Kojak or Quincy M.E episode. 

Edited by RedDragon86

52 minutes ago, Viceguy said:

Hostage episodes of any series can become very static and slow very quickly.  I think that’s perhaps the problem here with many forum members.

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

Hostage episodes of any series can become very static and slow very quickly.  I think that’s perhaps the problem here with many forum members.

I think it's more that The Maze doesn't really fit in with the general vibe of Season 2, or what many feel is the general vibe.

5 hours ago, pahonu said:

I have more season 2 episodes than season 1 that I watch repeatedly.  That says something, subconsciously perhaps, about what I prefer.

This really sums it up for me, too.  Buses, Definitely Miami, Bought and Paid For, Bushido, and Back in the World are eps I could watch over and over.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The only episode I don't like out of seasons 1 and 2 is "The Maze" 

yep weirdly i find that episode a bit boring too. while it has IMO a very good potential storyline (Die hard). I couldn't tell what's not hooking with that episode. it has lot of very good subjects. officer killed, labyrintic 'die hard' building, main character hostage, rape theme, homelessness in Miami theme. And for a weird reason that doesn't hook

• Like 1