Dean Stockwell dies aged 85

RedDragon86

Edward James Olmos pays tribute on twitter by saying "A true giant of a human being has passed. I was so fortunate to have worked with him on Miami Vice and Battlestar. I will cherish the years we spent together He was a gift to all who truly knew him"

R.I.P Dean ;(

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3
  • Sad 7

One of my favorite actors for many years.  Stockwell had a long career - a child actor in the 1940s (Gentleman's AgreementThe Boy With Green Hair) to serious young actor (Long Day's Journey into Night, Sons and Lovers), from late 1960s "hippie" movies (Psych-OutThe Last Movie) to his late 1980s renaissance (DuneBlue VelvetMarried to the MobTo Live and Die in L.A.), not forgetting, of course, his Al in the TV series Quantum Leap.  Oh, and a little something called "Bushido" on Miami Vice.  (One of my favorite of his earlier TV performances was a hapless ocean liner musician on an episode of Columbo.)

With his first movie in 1945 and his last in 2016 that's a remarkable 70 year run!  

R.I.P.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Very sad that he has passed! I remember him most from Quantum Leap, but also from Miami Vice and Blue Velvet. At least he got to live 85 years. That seems like a full life.

• Like 3

I had heard a while back he wasn't in the best of health. So sad to hear he's passed on. A fantastic actor with a great range of roles much of which is very well worth checking out although Blue Velvet is definitely a favorite and his role on Vice was one of my favorite guest stars. Here's to Ben. :tasse:

R.I.P., Dean.

I watched a lot of "Quantum Leap" and also remember Dean Stockwell in Miami Vice. We lost another great actor!

May he rest in peace. ;(

• Like 1

I heard about this news last night. Real shame to hear and it’s crazy as I only watched Bushido last weeks so Stockwell’s performance is fresh in memory. 

Not to familiar with Stockwell’s other work but what an amazing yet subtle performance in Bushido. Stockwell with his delivery, makes you feel like he really is Castillo’s long lost partner. 

RIP Dean Stockwell. 

• Like 3

Damn ... I didn't know !! I am in shock because I saw one of his performance last night in an episode of columbo.

Of course, he made lots of other performances but ... 

May He Rest in Peace.

With a resume going all the way back to 1945, Stockwell was quite a prolific actor. I remember him from Quantum Leap, JAG, To Live and DIe in LA, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica (as one of the cylons), Dune, and of course as Jack Gretsky. RIP to an amazing actor. 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001777/

5 hours ago, Miami Beau said:

I heard about this news last night. Real shame to hear and it’s crazy as I only watched Bushido last weeks so Stockwell’s performance is fresh in memory. 

Not to familiar with Stockwell’s other work but what an amazing yet subtle performance in Bushido. Stockwell with his delivery, makes you feel like he really is Castillo’s long lost partner. 

RIP Dean Stockwell. 

Absolutely! the authenticity of them knowing each other felt real.

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Absolutely! the authenticity of them knowing each other felt real.

Miguel Ferrer (To Have and to Hold) was also EJO’s buddy, and also sadly passed in 2017.  ;(

• Like 1

I thought Dean Stockwell was an excellent actor, and especially loved his work in the 1980s ("To Live and Die in L.A.", "Blue Velvet", "Married to the Mob", "The Legend of Billie Jean", and of course the legendary Jack Gretsky!). I'm sad to hear he passed away, but I'm glad he lived until 85.

• Like 1

I watched Bushido yesterday to refresh my memory of Dean Stockwell's performance as Castillo's friend. He did a very believable job. I'm glad I have the M.V. episodes on disc. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I watched Bushido yesterday to refresh my memory of Dean Stockwell's performance as Castillo's friend. He did a very believable job. I'm glad I have the M.V. episodes on disc. :thumbsup:

I truly think Stockwell was fantastic as Gretsky. I know I have some fun with the whole Gretsky thing (and will continue to do so, unless it makes others in the community angry enough to hang me upside down by a restroom toilet:)), but I love that entire scene between Castillo & Gretsky,  and believe that Gretsky is one formidable fellow, along with being Castillo's equal and great friend.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 7:37 PM, OCBman said:

So sad to hear of his passing.

He was great in Paris, Texas.

I totally forgot he was in that movie! I have the film, the Criterion DVD, but I only watched it once about five years ago. I loved it, but I have to be in the mood to cry to watch it again, lol.

• Like 1