Genesis/Phil Collins

cageyJG

Just wanted to know if any music fans were tracking about the Genesis tour. I had read a really good review on Rolling Stone about it. My friend went to see it it said some things that were a little unflattering, and he’s a huge fan. But I have to give respect to our MV alumnus. It’s a big deal to me when these legends come out and do their thing, rockers never get old. Nor do concert T-shirts, and you can take that to the bank.

• Like 1

vor 57 Minuten schrieb cageyJG:

Just wanted to know if any music fans were tracking about the Genesis tour. I had read a really good review on Rolling Stone about it. My friend went to see it it said some things that were a little unflattering, and he’s a huge fan. But I have to give respect to our MV alumnus. It’s a big deal to me when these legends come out and do their thing, rockers never get old. Nor do concert T-shirts, and you can take that to the bank.

I don’t know any specifics about concerts in this tour but in general you have to understand that Phil, the heart and singer, has been suffering from massive health problems (voice, spine, numb hand,…), thus „Rockers never get old“ is not true in this case unfortunately. as far as I know Phil can’t play the drums anymore due to his condition and his own son is drumming on tour. I don’t know whether his voice is ok now but anyway: audiences should not be overcritical with them under these circumstances!

I have seen Genesis&Phil several times in concert in the past and they are superb if they are healthy.

• Like 1

I’m based in England and have followed Genesis for a number of years now. Phil’s health is sadly declining and it’s such a shame to see. I hope things do improve for him but for now, I truly believe this will be the last hurrah for Phil. 
When I saw Phil’s solo tour a few years back his voice was really poor. Upon watching some footage online recently, Phil’s voice has definitely improved albeit still not as powerful as it once was. 

With that said, ticket prices in England were ridiculously overpriced. Last time I checked, £150 for one upper tier seat, over £200.00 for a floor seat, sorry but no way. Maybe for Genesis in 1987 but not in 2021. I should also say I was lucky enough to see Genesis at Twickenham Stadium in 2007 and yeah, that really was the last time Genesis were a powerhouse still. 

Having Chester Thompson not play on this final tour is a shame. I think he could of easily been incorporated into the show but obviously, Phil wants his son in that spot now and thats likely due to the fact this is Phil’s last tour and wants to pass the torch to his son.

Yeah not much else to say on it for now. I don’t know much about the set list but I understand they continued to play Land of Confusion (Freefall)  which is nice. Sadly I don’t believe there is an live acoustic rendition of “Life Is A Rat Race” on this tour.

• Sad 1

• Administrators

The last clip I've seen of Phil, he was sitting in a chair singing.  Unfortunately Cagey, we do get old. ;(

• Sad 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Miami Beau:

Yeah not much else to say on it for now. I don’t know much about the set list but I understand they continued to play Land of Confusion (Freefall)  which is nice. Sadly I don’t believe there is an live acoustic rendition of “Life Is A Rat Race” on this tour.

I assume you mean a rendition of "The man with the horn", as "Life is a rat race" was a derivate of it and not an official PC title?

I remember that PC had a version of Man with a horn on the tracklist in some concerts in the late 80s/early 90s. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

The last clip I've seen of Phil, he was sitting in a chair singing.  Unfortunately Cagey, we do get old. ;(

I read he had years of alcohol abuse, and had a bad fall on stage recently/can barely walk at all now. So he’s old and ran down haha. 

It makes me sad to hear him sing now (almost like a parody of himself). 

He is an absolute legend, and I will NEVER get tired of his body of work. 

Speaking of “work”, Phil was well-known in the industry for having a basically unrivaled work ethic. :tasse_prost:

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm always torn in half about this topic.  You're a fan of someone or some movie, or something.  And it was years gone by.  Age is age, and we know it.  (My take on it is that it's the mileage that destroys what you were, not your "age", but whatever).  

If I adored the thing the artist produced back then, do I want to see the artist strained and struggling with comeback after comeback until he's lagging in the tempo, or he really can't stand up straight to act the part anymore?  And if I say I DON'T want to see the idol I love lagging in front the camera or coughing in front the audience and needing help from back-up people half his age,... am I really a true fan?

I guess I want to remember them how they WERE, and not be hurt by what I see of them now.  Because they meant THAT much to me, at "the time when I needed their art the most", and I really want to think of them now as willing to close a sweet book they created, and just live a completed life or doing something different that doesn't put cracks on the binding of their book.  

If you don't want to see Willie whisper his songs, and don't want to watch Linda or Phil or Lean Rhymes struggle and half-satisfy their audience,... are you an unfaithful fan?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Augusta said:

Yeah, I'm always torn in half about this topic.  You're a fan of someone or some movie, or something.  And it was years gone by.  Age is age, and we know it.  (My take on it is that it's the mileage that destroys what you were, not your "age", but whatever).  

If I adored the thing the artist produced back then, do I want to see the artist strained and struggling with comeback after comeback until he's lagging in the tempo, or he really can't stand up straight to act the part anymore?  And if I say I DON'T want to see the idol I love lagging in front the camera or coughing in front the audience and needing help from back-up people half his age,... am I really a true fan?

I guess I want to remember them how they WERE, and not be hurt by what I see of them now.  Because they meant THAT much to me, at "the time when I needed their art the most", and I really want to think of them now as willing to close a sweet book they created, and just live a completed life or doing something different that doesn't put cracks on the binding of their book.  

If you don't want to see Willie whisper his songs, and don't want to watch Linda or Phil or Lean Rhymes struggle and half-satisfy their audience,... are you an unfaithful fan?

Very well said!   It doesn't make you an unfaithful fan.  Sometimes it's better to just remember them at the peak of their career. 

Sometimes I wonder why these groups continue at all.  Saw today that ABBA is releasing their first album in 40 years. Really?   I'm also not a huge fan of the Stones but if I were, would I really want to see a bunch of 80 year olds perform?  Don't mean to sound cruel but no thanks.  It makes you understand why some performers, whether musicians or actors choose to quit in their prime and go out at the top of their game. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Tom said:

I don’t know any specifics about concerts in this tour but in general you have to understand that Phil, the heart and singer, has been suffering from massive health problems (voice, spine, numb hand,…), thus „Rockers never get old“ is not true in this case unfortunately. as far as I know Phil can’t play the drums anymore due to his condition and his own son is drumming on tour. I don’t know whether his voice is ok now but anyway: audiences should not be overcritical with them under these circumstances!

I have seen Genesis&Phil several times in concert in the past and they are superb if they are healthy.

I should have said that they “don’t get old, they just fade from (into?) the limelight.” I hate hearing about farewell tours, final tours, “this is the no kidding, real deal final tour ever” tours, etc. it’s hard to think about. Rush comes to mind for me. I am happy a lot of bands I like are still Releasing and performing.Tears for Fears, Duran Duran and so on. 

On 12/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, Tom said:

I assume you mean a rendition of "The man with the horn", as "Life is a rat race" was a derivate of it and not an official PC title?

I remember that PC had a version of Man with a horn on the tracklist in some concerts in the late 80s/early 90s. 

Hey Tom, yeah that’s right. I couldn’t think of the original name.

1 hour ago, Miami Beau said:

Hey Tom, yeah that’s right. I couldn’t think of the original name.

In case anyone is interested:

• Like 4

On 12/2/2021 at 11:50 AM, Dadrian said:

I read he had years of alcohol abuse, and had a bad fall on stage recently/can barely walk at all now. So he’s old and ran down haha. 

It makes me sad to hear him sing now (almost like a parody of himself). 

He is an absolute legend, and I will NEVER get tired of his body of work. 

Speaking of “work”, Phil was well-known in the industry for having a basically unrivaled work ethic. :tasse_prost:

Phil Collins and Genesis were mainstays in my cassette player in high school.  Phil's music just resonated with me at the time and I always enjoyed his enthusiasm and happiness to be performing.  I love the music video below, particularly how he messes up the lip sync at 1:30, recovers with a smile and they just let it go.  This song reminds me of a high school crush named Kelly H.  You know who you are...  :)

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1