The Bed from Definitely Miami!

Dadrian

13 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Curious as to how they were able to acquire it.

Me too. I asked. :) 

The bed was acquired by a store in Naples many years ago from a “lady from Miami”. It stayed at the store for some time before one of the employees bought it and kept for years. The eBay seller is said employee. She said they are moving and can’t take it with them. 

It’s a queen size or I would totally buy it (king only for us). 

• Like 1

At an angle in the episode those bed posts look like those Jai alai basket gloves, should have been Tico's bed in "Killshot" :)

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2022 at 10:50 AM, RedDragon86 said:

At an angle in the episode those bed posts look like those Jai alai basket gloves, should have been Tico's bed in "Killshot" :)

I just watched this episode last night... Tico wouldn't have needed it for long

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 6:00 PM, Dadrian said:

Also in The Great McCarthy

17 hours ago, OCBman said:

Looks like the same bed from "The Great McCarthy".

“You heard right” :p

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, OCBman said:

Looks like the same bed from "The Great McCarthy".

bed_great_mccarthy.thumb.png.0262f68a59668a5f59bd82ff94d04438.png

253401751_bed_greatmccarthy_2.thumb.png.1f14ac78dce2c947ed7be756e6a3f1fa.png

epic scene. 2700 for a 40 yo miami vice set item is pretty reasonable

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

I am not able to open the ebay link for some reason, but looking at the image from the listing that you provided @Dadrian, and what was shown in The Great McCarthy (also just using the image provided above by @jpaul1), I don't see it being exactly the same bed.

Look at them in the bed, they have a lot of space, it doesn't look like a queen, it looks like a king just from that.

Look at the pillows in the scene and how little space relative to the bed they take, vs the pillows in eBay posting. Obviously pillows can be of different size, but looking at other items in the eBay photo (picture on the wall, bedside table/drawer and whatever is on it) they do look like same standard size pillows. But they take so much more space, the whole bed. 

And most noticeably, look at the whole background leaves configuration. I compare the angles between them in the collage attached, which are different. They also overlap by a different amount, and the different one is on top of the other between eBay and the episode. In the episode, the arch of the two big leaves is on the same level as the smaller leaves' tips - but much higher in eBay...

The only thing I can think of, and it's quite plausible, is if the frame is somehow adjustable to enable different sizes, the eBay can be a version squeezed together. Or maybe it wasn't even adjustable but they just rebuild it reducing the size, pushing the poles closer together and somehow swiveling up the big "horizontal" leaves.

g4533.png

• Like 2

It looks like a king size on the episode, but this one is a queen size. If it has been modified somehow, maybe that would explain the different angles?

We may have to get Inspector @Tom involved here. :) 

here’s the current link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monkey-Wood-Carved-Banana-Leaf-Bed-from-Miami-Vice-set-One-of-a-Kind-Queen-siz-/373985651483?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

My call: this is the queen size version of the bed from Miami Vice. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

It looks like a king size on the episode, but this one is a queen size. If it has been modified somehow, maybe that would explain the different angles?

We may have to get Inspector @Tom involved here. :) 

here’s the current link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monkey-Wood-Carved-Banana-Leaf-Bed-from-Miami-Vice-set-One-of-a-Kind-Queen-siz-/373985651483?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

My call: this is the queen size version of the bed from Miami Vice. 

The key question is: is it a modified version of the same bed (a segment was cut out of the frame and the remainder reconnected, leaves were adjusted), or is it a replica altogether. If the former, I'm almost OK with the "the actual bed from the Miami Vice Set" claim. If the latter, it's untenable and the seller should be honest with the potential buyer who would certainly be an MV fan, and charging $2,700 in big part for it being MV set piece would be fraudulent. 

After inspecting the photos from the eBay listing and some stills from Definitely Miami, I am now 99% sure (and would wait for @Tom's professional verdict) that this is fake.

Look at the attached comparison of the same top right bed post (left headrest side if you are in bed). In the episode bed, the front leaf "starts" right above the 5th concave ornament detail. In the eBay bed it starts one element lower. OK, say we assume during that resizing modification they rearranged the leaves so this spatial relation changed... But look at the leaf shape itself (yellow line trace) - the eBay leaf has a different curve with a steeper turn - no moving elements around would change that. It is a differently carved leaf. And for that matter, looking this closely we can see that the front and rear leaves are carved together (in both episode and eBay), so they cannot be rearranged relative to each other.

To be fair, $2,700 for this amount of solid woodwork is not too much today, they just need to discount for the fact that some woodwork parts are broken off, as they do acknowledge. But they shouldn't be misleading MV fans with "the actual bed", this is a replica by somebody with not enough attention to detail.

g4731.png

• Like 1

i'm not certain the word set, and the world actual mean these are items used in the series. it's a bit confuse i agree. but it's a nice bed, and not overprized. and clearly ressembling to the one of the mythic scene. it's a bit confuse, but i don't know if we should talk about scam. it's not worst than saying official olympic partner. it's limit, but well it's some commerce :). but you have good eyes :thumbsup:

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Paul Veres:

After inspecting the photos from the eBay listing and some stills from Definitely Miami, I am now 99% sure (and would wait for @Tom's professional verdict) that this is fake.

Objection sustained! Of course that is a fake. At first glance the bed looked much too small, as @Dadrianstated correctly. The detailed scrutiny that you did (thanks, you saved me a lot of time! :funky:) confirms that. 

For me this is either a rip-off where the buyer throws in the MV claim to lure a fan buyer and drive the price up or he was ripped off when buying this bed and believes in it himself. Either was, it´s bad.:thumbsdown:

• Like 2

I don’t think she’s intentionally misleading anyone—she’s just relaying the “facts” that were relayed to her. At least it’s not another “actual” Daytona. :) 

Edited by Dadrian

frankly for 2700, and the ressemblance to MV bed i think it's a good purchase. it's pretty much obvious both come from the same factory. after this, if it has been touched by Jesus PMT frankly i don't care. it's a cool bed. at least for me

• Like 1