If I was to move to Miami...

MrSwinderman

Hello all! 

I'm at a crossroads at the moment. I have an option between moving to NYC or moving to Miami. I've lived in Ohio my whole life but my current job is giving me the ability to choose.

What is everyone's thoughts on it? I've been to NYC and Miami but not much. Any advice would be great! :cool:

• Thanks 1

I’ve never lived in either, but I’ve visited Miami a few times. I definitely think I could live there. :)

I guess it would depend on where in Miami is an option for your residence (for starters). 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

I’ve never lived in either, but I’ve visited Miami a few times. I definitely think I could live there. :)

Yes, I know. In the party house of Rites of passage. Without hookers of course :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

:checkbox:

That is truly a choice YOU have to make based on what you see in Ohio as good atmosphere of living, and what you'd consider an unhappy atmosphere for you.  
A city may look exciting or seductive because of its buildings and scenery day or night, or its variety of pleasures and events.  But to me, a place is nice to LIVE in, based on how its people treat one another each and every tedious day.  
I have lived in many parts of New York for many years.  
New Yorkers as a "group", like to brag to outsiders and visitors that we New Yorkers are tough, can take anything, are never taken by surprise, or never shocked, and always come together to look after each other.  
But "individually", our behavior shows a truth (like your parents might have tried to teach you, you tell more about a person by seeing what they DO, not hearing what they SAY they'll do).  So the description of a New Yorker TRANSLATED, is that:
we're really not "tough"--we're most often griping and often petty... 
we really "CAN'T take anything"---we often pick fights with weaker looking strangers we meet on the street, just to take out our frustrations on someone and make ourselves feel better that way (often landing individuals in jail)....
we are EASY to "take by surprise"--- because our cell phone addictions and need to yap and unload on our friends means we are constantly self-absorbed as we walk the street/ride the train/wait for a light to change green, etc... 
it is true we are never "shocked" by events---I think it is a kind of numbness that's developed alongside the cell phone and wifi texting craze, to the point where a person could suffer a 10-minute beating or molestation on a subway train, and most onlookers would find a reason to just quickly LEAVE the area rather than think to intervene with a scream or a yell for help.  
Which addresses the last truth----we DO NOT always come together to look after each other.  We can be forced to by a calamity like a big fire, earthquake, etc (who would not do that?), but a person reaching out to help others in need in NYC is driven by THAT person's naturally good impulse----NOT driven by a reliable NY community character or reputation.

DON'T think I am spitting on New Yorkers.  I won't do that---I think our behavior is due more to just absent-minded inability to see ourselves in a daily mirror, or a desperate unwillingness to admit to ourselves that we're living under too much pressure to cope with. Our behavior does NOT come from just a general nastiness or malice that you see in movie villains.

Does that mean NY is a place you should avoid?  Well, if you rate the pleasantness of your home city based on the daily courtesy and sensibility of your neighbors,... there are much better places in the US you ought to consider as your home city.  And Miami might be one of the better choices.
Won't Miami be likely to have some of the same KIND of unpleasant behavior in some people?  Yes is the right answer,.. but I am sure it would not nearly be as CONCENTRATED and potent as the confines of NY.  
Someone who is super-familiar with Miami, would have to educated us both.

If you've read this post, and are still attracted to the excitement of New York life, by all means you can still consider living well north of the NYC areas (what we call "upstate" NY).  The north of NY avoids a lot of the "personality" I just described in people, and you can always trip down to the NYC area for a taste of the dazzle and buildings and events, WOTHOUT so much exposure to the harshness of the folks who live there all the time.

I've repeatedly asked on this site what modern-day Miami is like (regardless of the Miami Vice show).  But LOL, I haven't had much response from anyone.