Vice Never Dies!!!

Marco Falcone

78448427-A629-43B5-B401-91F9C20F98F8.thumb.jpeg.455330c4b7d0a88b4a40eefbd676ede4.jpeg

This was was me for dinner with the family tonight at a great little Italian restaurant in our town.

Season 5-ish, (jeans, no-lace dirty white suede wing-tips, no socks), but with just a little “modern twist.”

The sun gigs are vintage “rivet temple” B&L RayBans, late 80’s/early 90’s.  (Bought a few years ago on eBay.)

54 years old and not giving up on the Style!

We can bring it back!

• Like 10

may i speak frankly. maybe i shouldn't. But i will still. personnally i wouldn't have put a jean. the jean is.. too much season 5 :). the blazer and shirt aren't bad at all however. what i'm saying has to be taken on a second degree. Anyone clothes himself/herself as he/she wants

There was a lot about the fifth season that made it feel like a different show, but I never minded the jean look.  Crockett always looked cool, but I thought he looked the coolest in 5.  Longer hair and jeans kinda went with his "don't give a damn" attitude.  Tubbs' wardrobe went the opposite direction.  I still scratch my head at some of the outfit choices.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with jeans, either. It shows the evolution of the look, and also makes it useful in more climates than South Florida. The longer hair and jeans could also have been a nod to some of the other cultural trends of the time...things Vice overlooked in the earlier seasons. There was more to the '80s, after all, than synth pop and pastels.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Mr. Vigilante:

Tubbs' wardrobe went the opposite direction.  I still scratch my head at some of the outfit choices.

Oh yes, some of Tubbs' clothes in season 5 were absolutely horrible. Some of his jackets reminded me a lot of the brocade curtains my parents had in the 70s. :dance2:Whoever had advised him suffered from a terrible lapse in taste.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

I don't have a problem with jeans, either. It shows the evolution of the look, and also makes it useful in more climates than South Florida. The longer hair and jeans could also have been a nod to some of the other cultural trends of the time...things Vice overlooked in the earlier seasons. There was more to the '80s, after all, than synth pop and pastels.

Very true!  The late 80’s were so different than the beginning of the decade.  It’s been said on the forum before but the early 80’s were far more like the late 70’s than we’re the late 80’s.  This probably holds true across decades.  

I was in high school from 85-89 and the Vice look from the first couple of seasons was definitely not fashionable by 1989.  I remember watching the series premiere in 8th grade and it was pretty edgy even compared to the early 80’s post-punk/new wave look from the early 80’s.  

I think perhaps the biggest impact the series had, was on mainstream societal groups rather than groups that were typically more cutting edge. This group would include high schoolers and young adults.  Vice brought a different aesthetic to a slightly older part of society, no disrespect intended.  The two protagonists appearance on the Today Show in their show garb is an example of such.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Amen!  And I just watched “Buddies” a couple weeks ago.  One my my favorite episodes.  Remar’s “Robbie Cann” SO should have been a recurring character.

Pahonu:  SAME!!!!

I was in HS from 83-87, in Marin County (VERY affluent) just north of San Francisco .  

Vice, especially the style and music, was a VERY BIG DEAL all the way through.  

We had one of those “Dance on the Bay” things in the Spring of 1987, my senior year.  EVERYONE showed up to the ferry boat in TOTAL Vice fashion.  Seriously, the show could’ve filmed an episode with ZERO effort for extras/fill.

And bunch of us, (myself included), brought those EnterTech motorized squirt guns that looked a LOT like real submachine guns.  We had an epic water fight in the parking lot, including some idiots “squirt-fighting” from their cars.

I even spent all the money I made bussing tables the summer of ‘86 to buy a real Cerrutti white linen suit, a few designer pastel henleys, and couple pairs of espadrilles at the big Nordstrom in San Francisco.  The salesperson even tried to talk me out of it, and told me the Macy’s down the way had a whole “Miami Vice” section where I could get it all for less than half what I was about to spend.  (Didn’t work.  I wanted the “real thing” and got all of it.)

I wore it a bunch, especially as separates..

And even then, I was way more a total hair-metal rokker than anything else.  Sure, I would show up at school in my Vice linen sport coat over black jeans with a Chess King skinny leather tie one day, and the next in a black leather jacket, Dio “Holy Diver” tour shirt, and black harness boots.

So, because I got to dress/live the 80’s in real time, nowadays it’s about re-living the best parts but as a grown up.  (I have some photos from back then I will try to post…)

For me, going out to dinner or to an event in a screen-accurate Crockett suit/sportcoat ensemble would feel too “Halloween costume “80’s Theme Party now.

And it’s not about playing “dress-up” or trying to look EXACTLY like any particular character on the show during any one season.   (And I’m not actually not trying to BE Crockett.   My 25 years on the Job and the associated divorce, custody battle, injuries, lawsuits, PTSD, etc. are MORE than enough!)

In the summer, I will often go with pastel or white linen pants and henleys, but  not with a matching pastel/white sportcoat.  (Yes to black or Navy sportcoat though.)

Again, I don’t want it to look “fake” and costume-ish.

I definitely incorporate a lot of Vice into my lifestyle.  My style of dress, my car, (black convertible with tan interior and silver wheels), my musical choices, etc.  (Thankfully I’m fortunate enough to be able to.)

But for me, It’s about incorporating the main elements of the style of my favorite show and favorite characters and favorite decade into my real lifestyle TODAY.

But that’s just me.

Car pic was last summer.  Other photos was me in 1987, on our Senior Trip to Disneyland.  (I know, Vuarnet’s instead of Wayfarers.  BUT I still have my original B&L black Wayfarer’s 5024’s my girlfriend bought me back in 1986!)

5A53F987-4B11-437B-8BBA-D6A57A4736F6.jpeg

74375059-FDEC-4F28-BBAE-8B9A4BB566E4.jpeg

Edited by Marco Falcone
  • Like 7

I was in high school from '81 to '85, and was a metalhead pretty much the entire way. Where I was you didn't see the Vice look much, and if you did it was the rich kids wearing it (and I wasn't in that crowd). We all listened to Priest, Maiden, Scorpions, AC/DC, Dio, Accept, early Crue...that kind of thing. The Nu Wave people were around, but they weren't part of my scene.

I agree they should have had Robbie on more than once. Vietnam was part of Sonny's background, and they didn't do him any favors by relegating it to an occasional plot device.

• Like 3

I grew up in in the Valley outside of LA and the big thing was to go to Sunset Blvd. to catch shows at places like The Whisky, Gazzarri’s, The Key Club, The Roxy and The Rainbow right next door.  There were lots of great acts that never made it.  The big hair metal bands peaked about the time I started going but I wasn’t a huge fan.  I was into the post-punk, new wave sound and eventually alternative as they started calling it.  

The local station was KROQ and I was listener until just a few years ago when they changed format after 40 years.  I was and still am a reggae fan as well, with a big collection.  KROQ had a show for years hosted by Native Wayne Jobson called The Mighty Wicked Reggae Revolution.  I remember listening to it all the time in high school and college.

it's not that the jean is wrong. it's, how could i say. anything that is tight give me urticaria :). But yeah the jean gives a non totally Vice look that is not bad. I would have liked a small video of the camaro exaust too :)

14 hours ago, Marco Falcone said:

Amen!  And I just watched “Buddies” a couple weeks ago.  One my my favorite episodes.  Remar’s “Robbie Cann” SO should have been a recurring character.

Pahonu:  SAME!!!!

I was in HS from 83-87, in Marin County (VERY affluent) just north of San Francisco .  

Vice, especially the style and music, was a VERY BIG DEAL all the way through.  

We had one of those “Dance on the Bay” things in the Spring of 1987, my senior year.  EVERYONE showed up to the ferry boat in TOTAL Vice fashion.  Seriously, the show could’ve filmed an episode with ZERO effort for extras/fill.

And bunch of us, (myself included), brought those EnterTech motorized squirt guns that looked a LOT like real submachine guns.  We had an epic water fight in the parking lot, including some idiots “squirt-fighting” from their cars.

I even spent all the money I made bussing tables the summer of ‘86 to buy a real Cerrutti white linen suit, a few designer pastel henleys, and couple pairs of espadrilles at the big Nordstrom in San Francisco.  The salesperson even tried to talk me out of it, and told me the Macy’s down the way had a whole “Miami Vice” section where I could get it all for less than half what I was about to spend.  (Didn’t work.  I wanted the “real thing” and got all of it.)

I wore it a bunch, especially as separates..

And even then, I was way more a total hair-metal rokker than anything else.  Sure, I would show up at school in my Vice linen sport coat over black jeans with a Chess King skinny leather tie one day, and the next in a black leather jacket, Dio “Holy Diver” tour shirt, and black harness boots.

So, because I got to dress/live the 80’s in real time, nowadays it’s about re-living the best parts but as a grown up.  (I have some photos from back then I will try to post…)

For me, going out to dinner or to an event in a screen-accurate Crockett suit/sportcoat ensemble would feel too “Halloween costume “80’s Theme Party now.

And it’s not about playing “dress-up” or trying to look EXACTLY like any particular character on the show during any one season.   (And I’m not actually not trying to BE Crockett.   My 25 years on the Job and the associated divorce, custody battle, injuries, lawsuits, PTSD, etc. are MORE than enough!)

In the summer, I will often go with pastel or white linen pants and henleys, but  not with a matching pastel/white sportcoat.  (Yes to black or Navy sportcoat though.)

Again, I don’t want it to look “fake” and costume-ish.

I definitely incorporate a lot of Vice into my lifestyle.  My style of dress, my car, (black convertible with tan interior and silver wheels), my musical choices, etc.  (Thankfully I’m fortunate enough to be able to.)

But for me, It’s about incorporating the main elements of the style of my favorite show and favorite characters and favorite decade into my real lifestyle TODAY.

But that’s just me.

Car pic was last summer.  Other photos was me in 1987, on our Senior Trip to Disneyland.  (I know, Vuarnet’s instead of Wayfarers.  BUT I still have my original B&L black Wayfarer’s 5024’s my girlfriend bought me back in 1986!)

5A53F987-4B11-437B-8BBA-D6A57A4736F6.jpeg

74375059-FDEC-4F28-BBAE-8B9A4BB566E4.jpeg

I was in college through the best seasons of Miami Vice, and I too remember the Miami Vice clothing Section (or Department, or LOL whatever the garment stores wanted to pitch them as).  Gradually, just before the department stores began dropping it out of circulation, it became full of tourist-memory clutter rather than quality stuff, but here in NY when it first started it was a tiny few Vice-decal T-shirts, and a LOT of splendid pastel shirts, bright jackets and sunglasses.

And you're right, these weren't aimed a being costume-ish at all.  I wasn't sure if that was a happy accident, of if the retail stores were actually clever enough to aim the clothing at being "a serious hint of Vice" would sell much better than the "I want to have Philip Michael Thomas' baby" fandom atmosphere.  

If I weren't so strapped for cash through my college years, I would have been going casual in some choice pieces from those department stores.  But my expense budget was just too tight---I had to force myself to WALK PASSED it, just walk--don't torture yourself browsing.;(

12 minutes ago, Augusta said:

I was in college through the best seasons of Miami Vice, and I too remember the Miami Vice clothing Section (or Department, or LOL whatever the garment stores wanted to pitch them as).  Gradually, just before the department stores began dropping it out of circulation, it became full of tourist-memory clutter rather than quality stuff, but here in NY when it first started it was a tiny few Vice-decal T-shirts, and a LOT of splendid pastel shirts, bright jackets and sunglasses.

And you're right, these weren't aimed a being costume-ish at all.  I wasn't sure if that was a happy accident, of if the retail stores were actually clever enough to aim the clothing at being "a serious hint of Vice" would sell much better than the "I want to have Philip Michael Thomas' baby" fandom atmosphere.  

If I weren't so strapped for cash through my college years, I would have been going casual in some choice pieces from those department stores.  But my expense budget was just too tight---I had to force myself to WALK PASSED it, just walk--don't torture yourself browsing.;(

Yeah...even if it had been fashionable where I was, I doubt I would've bought much at the time. I had other things to spend my money on... (I still have a long-sleeve shirt from the first major Motley Crue tour...Shout at the Devil).

14 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Yeah...even if it had been fashionable where I was, I doubt I would've bought much at the time. I had other things to spend my money on... (I still have a long-sleeve shirt from the first major Motley Crue tour...Shout at the Devil).

I remember some of those clubs I went to had pictures of Motley Crue playing in them just a couple of years earlier.  By the time I was going to them, the band had hit it big and was touring.  

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I remember some of those clubs I went to had pictures of Motley Crue playing in them just a couple of years earlier.  By the time I was going to them, the band had hit it big and was touring.  

This was their first European tour...with Ozzy. Saw them at one of the Monsters of Rock shows they did in what was then West Germany in the early '80s.

Edited by Robbie C.

10 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

This was their first European tour...with Ozzy. Saw them at one of the Monsters of Rock shows they did in what was then West Germany in the early '80s.

Nice!

• 2 weeks later...

@Marco Falcone: you look a lot to Frank S3rp1c0. but i don't think you're him. because S3rp1c0 isn't married to an american, but to an italian

Edited by jpaul1