RIP Ray Liotta

Mr. Vigilante

He did a fantastic job as the voice of Tommy Vercetti in Vice City. Sad to hear of his passing.

• Like 3

From Something Wild to Marriage Story, Liotta was one of my major favorites.  And, of course, his Henry Hill in Goodfellas is iconic.

He seems like someone who should have been in a Miami Vice episode, doesn't he?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

From Something Wild to Marriage Story, Liotta was one of my major favorites.  And, of course, his Henry Hill in Goodfellas is iconic.

He seems like someone who should have been in a Miami Vice episode, doesn't he?

He should've been.  I can see him in something like The Lost Madonna.

• Like 2

This was a terrible shock. It's such a dreadful, awful thing. I'm in shock and disbelief that the great Ray Liotta is gone. I can't believe I'm writing this. It's surreal.

He was 67. That ain't no age to go. He could have and should have lived for decades more. I don't know what could have caused his passing. I don't know for sure about his health. He died in his sleep in the Dominican Republic while filming a movie. I don't know what could have happened. It's really a shock and I wasn't expecting this. 

All I can say about Ray Liotta is he was a great actor, one of the coolest guys ever and a legend. This is so incredibly sad.

Rest In Peace, Ray. You won't be forgotten.

• Like 4

I'm absolutely distraught and in shock about this. It's so sad and depressing to now live in a world with no Ray Liotta. Terrible.

My buddy agent 47 and I have been the resident GTA Vice City fans on this site so it's an especially sad day for us. I expect he'll write a few words here too as a tribute.

• Like 3

Can't believe Ray Liotta has passed away. This one is a tough one for me as GTA: Vice City is probably the one piece of media of any kind nearest and dearest. I've probably spent thousands of hours over the past near twenty years on that game. Heck I only completed it again just two weeks ago on the PS2. An unbeatable performance that probably shaped GTA's future as much as anything. Only that alone would put an actor like at the top of favorite actors for me but he was also in Goodfellas which is just legendary for me and perhaps the best (and most true to life) mafia films ever and one I revisit at least once a month and quote more often than I should.

He had a lot of other good roles over the years though well worth it for Liotta fans. Cop Land is a particularly good film and he was a particular highlight in an already stellar cast which included Stallone in one of his best and surprising roles, Robert DeNiro, Harvey Keitel and many other familiar faces. Hannibal was a mixed bag for many but I enjoyed it for what it was and Liotta had one of the most gruesomely memorable scenes in the film (hint: it involves dinner). It's been a long time since I've seen some of his mid-2000's stuff such as Blow, Narc, and Revolver but I do remember his performances being real highlight of those films. His filmography was quite varied over the years but he did return to mob movies in the 2010's with Killing Them Softly which was an interesting take on the genre and he played Roy DeMeo as much as good as anybody possibly could given DeMeo's dark reputation in The Iceman which a solid mob film with Michael Shannon as the titular hitman (well worth a watch just for Shannon's performance). I hadn't seen much of his more recent works outside of Sin City: A Dame to Kill For and some parts of the Sopranos prequel The Many Saints of Newark (which sadly he was one of the very few highlights for me). Funny enough it was revealed that Ray Liotta was offered the role of Ralphie in the third season of The Sopranos but turned it down as he didn't want to do another mob thing at the time.

Still, it's hard to believe Liotta's gone. Playing Vice City is probably going to feel a little different from now on. This October is the game's twentieth anniversary and sadly he joins a few other cast members from the game not being around for it (Dennis Hopper, Burt Reynolds, George DiCenzo and Youree "Ms. Cleo" Harris being the others). The man was a force of nature and seemed genuinely nice in real life.

R.I.P. Ray, you'll be missed.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Tony D. said:

Hey Dadrian............. how did you hear about Tommy Vercetti?

I was just tagging one of our Ray Liotta fans (forgive me for leaving you out @agent 47)

I know you and Tommy Vercetti are big fans. I’m so sorry for your loss. :flowers:

• Like 1

He was way too young to pass away, I think he was planning to get married and not long ago he just finished "The Sopranos" prequel movie. Life can be so cruel. 

Love him of course as Henry Hill, the voice of Tommy Vecetti in VC, my favorite video game of all time and he was brilliant as Gary "Figgsy" Figgis in "Cop Land" as well.

Ray Liotta should have had way more major roles as he was a first rate actor and had a big presence on screen.

"No, I just wanted to piss you off before I kill you" - Tommy Vercetti

R.I.P Ray ;(

• Administrators

This was a real shocker.   And being 67 myself made it hit home even more.  Way way too young to go!

R.I.P.  ;(

11 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

He was way too young to pass away, I think he was planning to get married and not long ago he just finished "The Sopranos" prequel movie. Life can be so cruel. 

Love him of course as Henry Hill, the voice of Tommy Vecetti in VC, my favorite video game of all time and he was brilliant as Gary "Figgsy" Figgis in "Cop Land" as well.

Ray Liotta should have had way more major roles as he was a first rate actor and had a big presence on screen.

"No, I just wanted to piss you off before I kill you" - Tommy Vercetti

R.I.P Ray ;(

Yeah, he was great in Copland!  One of my favorite performances of his was "Unlawful Entry" with Kurt Russell.  Liotta was terrifying in that!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I was just tagging one of our Ray Liotta fans (forgive me for leaving you out @agent 47)

I know you and Tommy Vercetti are big fans. I’m so sorry for your loss. :flowers:

I must have misunderstood your post, Dadrian, ............I thought you were saying our member Tommy Vercetti had also passed away! :rolleyes: :sick: ?(

Sorry! :redface:

Man, I grew up listening to Ray Liotta and his portrayal as Tommy Vercetti in GTA Vice City. He was a real icon in my childhood and I'll surely miss him. Goodbye, Ray.

• Like 1

I never watched a movie, TV show or anything else with him, but he is an important part in one of  the greatest video games ever made.

RIP and thank you for having fun playing VICE City for so many hours.