How to tighten your 80s B&L 5022 wayfarers?

BlackJack

I have a couple of pairs of vintage tortoiseshell 5022 wayfarers. The problem is they slip off my face constantly. The arms are too loose against the sides of my head. I've tried taking them into various stores but no-one wants to tackle them. The best I've had is a couple of stores heat up the arms and then bend them inwards, which only makes a very small difference. Is there a way to tighten them properly? I've tried using mini screwdrivers in the hinge screws but it doesn't seem possible to tighten them further. Any advice?

• 1 month later...

I would be interested in this too. I have a black 5024 and one arm seems a little bit more loose than the other. Hinge and hingescrew in my case also seems OK on both sides. And not loose

Edited by Kalci

I’ve not done this with Wayfarers as I typically wear Clubmasters, but it similarly applies.  Taking the temples off the frame front and putting a little clear nail polish on the metal hinges has worked for me.  Be sure to let it dry and poke with a pin in the hinge holes if you put too much polish on and they are closed.  This creates friction between the two parts of the hinge and you can tighten down the screw so the temples are no longer loose.  I first tried putting the nail polish on each screw without taking them apart and it worked initially, but then became loose again pretty quickly.  Maybe try this first.

One other idea that I have heard of but not used is molding the nose pads using heat as they are plastic on Wayfarers.  Some people have very narrow bridges on their nose and that can be part of the problem of glasses slipping down.  My Clubmasters have adjustable metal nose pads so I haven’t needed to do it this way.

Edit, I found this link:

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1