What is your favorite cologne?

Player

I use mainly:

- Givenchy blue (discontinued AFAIK). discreet, and light. very delicate

from time to time:

- Lacoste sport (not as good as 80s one but still descent smell)

- Dior homme sport

- Dior Eau sauvage. to be honest i use that fragance mainly because it was one of my dad's perfumes in the 80s. this is not the exact same fragrance than 80s one. it's lighter, but maybe (it's a question of taste) better

only on evenings:

- Givenchy gentleman: very classy. but not an eau de parfum. this is a parfum/perfume. thus not really appropriate for city roaming

recently discovered Boss bottled in deodorant. and it made me a very good impression. But i wait a couple of weeks before buying the perfume. as perfumes are particular. You can be subjugated on the instant. But then discover this is not a such great fragrance. but i've been using it for 2 weeks now, and it smells real nice

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 3

Aventus by Creed! :fireworks:

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten more compliments about a fragrance (though that was not my intent—my wife just loves it). 

• Like 4

Haven't tried Aventus yet but i had Mancera Cedrat Boise which many people find similar. Very nice scent.

My favorite is Prada Amber Pour Homme. It's discontinued now — such a shame cause it's very nice fragrance. Very classy and clean, some people say it's soapy and even if it is, that is a $1000 bar of soap.

I also like Narciso Rodriguez For Him. It's strong musky violet scent inspired by mens fragrances of the 80s. It was my signature scent for a long time but now it's also discontinued, good that I have two bottles in reserve.

Lalique Pour Homme Lalique (Lion) is another discontinued gem. It's a lavender fragrance with strong notes of iris and cedar on a mellow powdery base of sandalwood and vanilla. There's also some type of hygienic freshness in there. Why such a great fragrances being discontinued?

Another favorite is Boss Number One, released in 1985. I really like 80's powerhouse fragrances such as Drakkar Noir, Versace L'Homme and Lapidus Pour Homme which I also have, but Boss is my favorite. That's strong honey tobacco scent with a lot of musk and I think it's really goes with Vice look. Kind of a fresh fragrance but it's not modern freshness.

I also use Armani Code which is an ultimate date night fragrance, it's dark and mysterious.

And last but not least Platinum Égoïste by Chanel which is also one of my all time favorites and I really like clean lavender scents.

Edited by Player
  • Like 4

A question most tough this, at least for me ;)

In any case my current dirty dozen:

Patou pour Homme (the original) - without any doubt the best ever. Hard to get and expensive. Hence, I'm using my stocks sparingly

Nasomatto Fantomas - Me like, wife hate. So not wearing as often as I'd prefer

DS Durga Bowmakers - Great scent, fits any occasion 

Laura Biagiotti Roma Uomo + Venezia Uomo - Spiffing, classy and cool. Especily Venizia Uomo which in my mind is perfect expression of 'sprezzatura'. Both discontinued and getting hard to get

Lavs Unum - Cool to skate on scent. Gothic, mysterious and agelessly stylish

Blenheim Bouquet - If it was good enough for Sir Winston, it is good enough for me

Kouros (original versions. Current is something else) - King Kouros. Not for the faint of heart. Originals starting to get hard to get. Luckily I think I'm covered till 2038 with current stock ;)

Xerjoff Torino - Any Xerjoff normally is worth having, this one tickles my senses

Lavs But Not Today - Do not like the Hannibal Lecter link in marketing blurb but the scent is very, very interesting

Eight & Bob Rolls Royce and Bentley Limited Edition - Co-branding with RREC. Behind the numbered bottle etc. hides a scent most nice. Cool, refreshing and classy.

Armani Attitude Extreme - Discontinued treasure 

-J

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Aventus by Creed! :fireworks:

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten more compliments about a fragrance (though that was not my intent—my wife just loves it). 

Aventus is very nice! Maybe not as nice as its reputation, but very good scent nonetheless. How deep are you in the Aventus rabbit hole if I may ask? Which batch code etc.?  :) 

-J

I didn't know of Aventus before Dadrian post. but according to what i read it's a question of batch. some years are great, others pretty overpriced. but well as i'm satisdfied with mine i don't plan to order a sample in immediate future :)

the Patou (recent version) i tried wasn't really exceptional at all. as i told in another post it's a perfume that smells money. I don't know how to explain that. didn't try the original version though. And i heard a lot of praise about it. but i won't take a bet on an internet bid. As a forumer once said, you could buy cat pi.. as well. not at these prices.

creators are not as free as they were back then. today they have to follow strict laws, and sometimes the final smell pays the price of that. the perfumes of very high level, where there's almost nothing to recount about are very rare. the only who comes to my mind is Givenchy blue. and i must say that Boss bottled smells nice too. which i'm wearing right now. but as i said i'll wait a few more days before shaping my final judgment on it

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

the Patou (recent version) i tried wasn't really exceptional at all. as i told in another post it's a perfume that smells money. I don't know how to explain that. didn't try the original version though. And i heard a lot of praise about it. but i won't take a bet on an internet bid.

Indeed the current one has nothing to do with PpH proper. 

Blind buying has its risks, but when bottles are correct and price on the market level you might get what you paid for. My current stock might last for few years still - with careful use and storage - but I'm far for set for life.

You might want to consider the original Lacoste, at least to me it has a very strong PpH vibe and prices are reasonable and bottles still findable 

-J

the original Lacoste sport (80s one) this one below was a very good perfume. a very nice fragance for hot tropical areas (but not only). but as i said i'm too afraid of being swindled. It actually happened once to me with grey flanel (hopefully it was on a small bottle). after using it several times i realized it had more of a toilet deodorant than a perfume. pretty sure the stuff was adulteraled

51718x0105.jpg

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 2

I use 1881 by Cerruti for all occasions ... Before, I had a crush for Fahrenheit by Dior.

Women loved those perfumes :)

Edited by Kladdagh
  • Like 3

Wow, I hadn't heard of several of these. I enjoy looking them up and looking at the bottles. Cool stuff.

When I was younger, I used English Leather, but now I mostly use Aspen. 

Edited by OCBman
  • Like 3

I would love to wear cologne but they give me headaches.

This one a bought back in 2008 for I think in the region of £250-£300 on holiday in France, really nice.

AMOUAGE Jubilation XXV.

AMOUAGE Jubilation XXV Man eau de parfum

Even when it comes to deodorants I have to use low fragrance, alcohol free roll-ons. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

I have been wearing Stetson Sierra since I first discovered it in 1994. Unfortunately it has been discontinued and surviving bottles are going for outrageous prices.  My bottle is used only on special occasions. 

• Like 2

finally decided to go for Boss bottled eau de toilette. and it smells exactly like the deodorant, it smells really great. it's one of the very rare times i found 80s perfumes class in a modern perfume. because of strict laws they now have to compose differently, and it's harder for them to achieve a great frangrance like 80s ones. but Boss did a really good fragrance there. classy, masculine, non invasive. I'm pleased by it. i'll see how the eau de toilette behaves over time, but i tested the deodorant over several weeks, and it has a really nice smell

P2384_1.jpg

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have a few favorite fragrances that I use all the time. Each of them is associated with certain moments in my life. However, my favorite is Givenchy Irresistible. This perfume has magical sweet notes. I would also like to highlight such a fragrance from my collection as Chloe No Made. This perfume is the opposite of Givenchy because it has a rather pungent smell without the sweet notes. Chloe has a nice sweet fragrance that I plan to order, Love Story. I usually order perfume at https://www.decantx.com   They have a great selection of fragrances at affordable prices.

Edited by BroganGordon

On 6/30/2022 at 5:08 AM, jpaul1 said:

finally decided to go for Boss bottled eau de toilette. and it smells exactly like the deodorant, it smells really great. it's one of the very rare times i found 80s perfumes class in a modern perfume. because of strict laws they now have to compose differently, and it's harder for them to achieve a great frangrance like 80s ones. but Boss did a really good fragrance there. classy, masculine, non invasive. I'm pleased by it. i'll see how the eau de toilette behaves over time, but i tested the deodorant over several weeks, and it has a really nice smell

P2384_1.jpg

I somehow missed this post, but I will say I’ve sprayed this product (Boss No. 6) on myself on the way out the door every morning for the past 15 years, and I have no plans to stop. Cedar, vanilla, with some top notes of apple. What could go wrong?? :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

I somehow missed this post, but I will say I’ve sprayed this product (Boss No. 6) on myself on the way out the door every morning for the past 15 years, and I have no plans to stop. Cedar, vanilla, with some top notes of apple. What could go wrong?? :) 

How do women check guys out? - Quora

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ordered a small drakkar noir bottle. as i have no idea of the smell i ordered only a 30 ml at this point. I bought it because if was one of my dad perfumes in the 80s. but it's so far away now, i have no clue of the smell :p. drakkar noir is still produced in France, but apparently it's a confidential fragrance. as none of the 3 perfume shops of my middle sized town had it, and we had to order I was lucky i got it on a sale. 20€ only. i'll test it, and see. if my dad used i i'm pretty sure it's gonna be another masculime essence :). it's gonna be classy no doubt about that. but we'll see if i like it. And yeah boss bottled is a very good perfume. it's simple it's the only perfume where i found back 80s perfumes class at this point (and tested quite a bunch of them)

Edited by jpaul1

• 3 weeks later...

Drakkar noir is very bad. i can't believe my dad used that perfume. my conclusion is that the modern fragrance had been heavily modified. hadn't i purchased in a nation level shop, i would had thought it was some counterfeit cr.. so bad that i can't even describe it. let's move on..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

Drakkar noir is very bad. i can't believe my dad used that perfume. my conclusion is that the modern fragrance had been heavily modified. hadn't i purchased in a nation level shop, i would had thought it was some counterfeit cr.. so bad that i can't even describe it. let's move on..

I remember this as I had a roommate who used Drakkar Noir.  Even back then I thought the aroma was too over powering.  Nothing gentle about it.  I certainly would never have sprayed that on my body.  I agree it is a bad cologne. 

• 1 month later...

I agree. Drakkar Noir smells fantastic on hot skin though.

375x500.647.jpg

I forgot to mention Versace L'Homme which is one of my recent favorites. Lots of sharp citruses here with soapy freshness and beautiful vanilla on a chypre leather base. A sparkling spring-summer fragrance, perfect for Crockett in seasons 1 and 2. For those who prefer modern fragrances it may seem retro and outdated. Not for me because I love 80s scents.

• Like 1

• Administrators

"Ocean" by Calvin Klein   ;)

Seriously though, my favorite is none.  Colognes and scented soaps give me an instant headache.  I once had a buddy who used Drakkar Noir.   I think he used the whole bottle at once.  Smelled so bad I threw him out of my car.