Why are sites pulling the streams?

dragon48

I can always get season 1 from Amazon Prime as I purchased it.  I used to subscribe to Starz through Amazon and could stream the rest of the seasons there, but I cancelled my Starz subscription when they dropped the streams.  My last backup was streaming on nbc.com and having to deal with commercials, but now, I see they have also pulled the coverage.  

Why have all the sites pulled the streams?

Edit - any reputable sellers with the complete DVD set?  I don't want crappy VHS quality.  I want the restored stuff like Starz and NBC used to stream.

Edited by dragon48

i believe this has to be with all the soundtrack the series contains. these things have to be updated, and they cost a lot. Rockstar games which does not lack of billions even removed tracks from GTAIV, because the renewal was too costly. I own Elephant films Blu-ray version. I ripped them legally as i own it. and put them on a old HDD i have. a case for HDD cost something like 5 or 10€. it has its own electricity source, can be placed anywhere within hand range, and in 1s you have your film

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

i believe this has to be with all the soundtrack the series contains. these things have to be updated, and they cost a lot. Rockstar games which does not lack of billions even removed tracks from GTAIV, because the renewal was too costly. I own Elephant films Blu-ray version. I ripped them legally as i own it. and put them on a old HDD i have. a case for HDD cost something like 5 or 10€. it has its own electricity source, can be placed anywhere within hand range, and in 1s you have your film

I just bought this DVD set from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HMJTLFP/.  I don't have a Blu-ray player and the Blu-ray version from this source has gotten some bad reviews with regards to the audio.  I'll then rip them, as I trust HDDs and flash drives more than DVDs.  I've had problems with DVDs getting damaged in the past.

An important question:

How did you rip your Blu Rays, and to what file formats?  I once ripped a CD that I purchased legally to a bunch of VOB, IFO and BUP files, and it SUCKS.  I can play it with VLC, but the 24 FPS output is very choppy and now find it unwatchable.  Oddly enough, I didn't have this problem in the past with an older PC, so I'm assuming my new laptop has worse codecs, or something like that.   I don't remember how I ripped it at the time.

Ty

15 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Ty - I ordered a set - see the above.

4 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

the link send to fabulous films. so i don't think this is elephant

Could be! The color composition looks quite similar though:

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.41.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.41.15 PM.png

3 hours ago, Marc said:

I only get dialogue in the left channel on that website otherwise it's perfect. 

Correct - I edited my initial inaccurate response.  Pls see my next post for clarification.   Also, I'm not taking the time to spot check everything, but it isn't complete.  I just noticed it's missing season 4s finale, "Mirror Image."  I can't wait for my DVDs to come next week, so, I'm checking out "Redemption in Blood" now.  I'll write back with a review of the audio and video quality.

Edited by dragon48
  • Like 1

The audio was weird.  All dialogue was only coming from the left channel.  All gunshots were also only coming from the left channel.  When music and dialogue were simultaneously happening, all dialogue was coming from the left channel and all music was coming from the right channel.  When music only was playing, it was coming from both channels, but I'm reasonably sure the right channel was louder.

The video quality was perfect, except for some parts of the first 3 minutes or so.  The dark opening scenes had some bad pixelation.  I don't remember what this type of compression is called, but it's the crap when AI tries to save space and bandwidth by not showing a continuation of a background, like a wall or the sky.  Whatever it ends up doing to fill in the space gets pixelated.  

Edited by dragon48
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Paul K. said:

Could be! The color composition looks quite similar though:

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.41.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.41.15 PM.png

The original source from Universal is the same so the colours would be the same or very close between releases. Fab Films done some weird thing with the contrast so there's more blacks and sometimes it hides certain details like in the hair. You can see more curls in the Elephant release compared to the Fabulous Films release.

• Like 1

Looks like I got the real deal, as Mill Creek Entertainment now owns the rights to the series. I had to dust off an old USB DVD player and a USB extender, as the folks at Rioddas made their reader with a built-in short USB cord.   I just watched the pilot, "Brother's Keeper."  All good.  This was a restored 640 x 480 copy, without compression artifacts, and with audio that synced perfectly, utilizing both channels.

On 7/14/2022 at 4:43 AM, jpaul1 said:

I ripped with this soft. be sure to have an at least 1 To HDD. it fits limit for one audio version without subtitlles

https://www.makemkv.com/

Do you or anybody else here find this superior to Handbrake?  A friend of mine uses Handbrake, which is how I heard about it.   I don't have much experience ripping DVDs.  A long time ago, I used the old Decss software to back up a DVD that I had purchased, but that software is no longer supported, and the old version doesn't work on Windows 10 anyway.

Edited by dragon48

idk handbrake. i use makemkv because it's trialware. and as i almost never rip dvd this allows me to get to the result without having to pay. also mkv is known for being a great format for video, as well as for audio. the only small drawback with makemkv, it's as i said a trialware. so once you started ripping the series you need to rip it all before the trial period expires

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

idk handbrake. i use makemkv because it's trialware. and as i almost never rip dvd this allows me to get to the result without having to pay. also mkv is known for being a great format for video, as well as for audio. the only small drawback with makemkv, it's as i said a trialware. so once so started ripping the series you need to rip it all before the trial period expires

Works great.  It just ripped all 5 episodes from disk 1 in around 35 minutes and they play normally with VLC.  I'll have the series ripped in a few days, so I won't have to pay.  I created a system restore point before the install and will revert to that point when I'm finished.  I never trust uninstallers to completely uninstall the product, and not leave anything around that will cause bloat or any problems.

One minor update about the DVDs.  At around the twelve minute mark of  season 1, episode 2, "Heart of Darkness," the audio went out of phase, as if I reversed one set of  + and - speaker connections going into my amplifier.  I remember one Amazon reviewer having complained about this.  I then saw that VLC was using the 5.1 surround audio track.  I switched this to stereo, and the rest of the title had normal audio.  I've been switching to the stereo audio track for all titles so far.

Edited by dragon48
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One last update to this thread.  Two of the DVDs were damaged, as there were problems with these 3 episodes.  

Season 2 - Disk 1 Whatever Works
Season 2 - Disk 1 Out where the buses don't run
Season 4 Disk 4 - Hell hath No Fury

I returned the set to Amazon for a replacement, and the bad episodes appear to be complete now.  I ripped everything with MakeMKV, have copies on a Hard Drive as well as on Dropbox, and am about to perform a system restore to before I installed MakeMKV, so if I need to use MakeMKV again, I can just reinstall it.

By the way, many thanks to @jpaul1 for recommending MakeMKV.  It's great stuff.  I used it to convert a movie I had ripped into a bunch of VOB files that played very choppily with VLC.  The consolidated MKV file plays very smoothly.

Edited by dragon48
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello Guys, I’m writing from Italy and I cannot watch Miami Vice on Amazon (it is available only in the US). Do you know where can I watch the series, starting from the season one? Many thanks 

if you can't get it from your major VODs, then best bet is to buy a blu-ray set. if you can't afford the blu-ray, you can get cheap DVDs on second hand sites