Bad Flaw with part of the end of Episode 4, "Calderone's Return Part 1"

dragon48

When I have the energy, I'll compose a full review of the awesome episode.  Just a tidbit for now.  One of the final scenes starts out in great Miami Vice music video style. Russ Ballard's "In the night" complements the scene perfectly, while the ground sparks from Tubbs speeding in Crokett's low-riding Ferrari Daytona (please correct me if I got the car wrong) on the way to warn and save Crockett from the assassin.  This hilariously (I assume purposely, to highlight the difference between the criminal and undercover "high life" and what Caroline could afford in the real world) clashes with Crockett driving his wife's ugly station wagon.  What the heck was he driving anyway?  It reminds me of the 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire that Chevy Chase drove in Vacation. :)

Back on point. As soon as Caroline turns the lights on, Crockett manages to save his life, as well as Caroline and Billy's, when he notices the out of place spilled coffee cup and half eaten glazed donut with sprinkles on the carpet.  He gets himself and his family just out of the way of the assassin's automatic weapon fire when he opens the closet where he had been hiding.  The problem here is that Ludovici Armstrong was a professional hitman with a long history of international, high-profile assassinations.  He was in good, recent form, as he had just completed the first 7 on Calderone's hit list.  A man with those skills would not have knocked over the coffee and donut, and in the unlikely event that he had, he would have noticed and cleaned up the mess before going into his hiding spot.

Edited by dragon48
  • Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb dragon48:

When I have the energy, I'll compose a full review of the awesome episode.  Just a tidbit for now.  One of the final scenes starts out in great Miami Vice music video style. Russ Ballard's "In the night" complements the scene perfectly, while the ground sparks from Tubbs speeding in Crokett's low-riding Ferrari Daytona (please correct me if I got the car wrong) on the way to warn and save Crockett from the assassin.  This hilariously (I assume purposely, to highlight the difference between the criminal and undercover "high life" and what Caroline could afford in the real world) clashes with Crockett driving his wife's ugly station wagon.  What the heck was he driving anyway?  It reminds me of the 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire that Chevy Chase drove in Vacation. :)

Back on point. As soon as Caroline turns the lights on, Crockett manages to save his life, as well as Caroline and Billy's, when he notices the out of place spilled coffee cup and half eaten glazed donut with sprinkles on the carpet.  He gets himself and his family just out of the way of the assassin's automatic weapon fire when he opens the closet where he had been hiding.  The problem here is that Ludovici Armstrong was a professional hitman with a long history of international, high-profile assassinations.  He was in good, recent form, as he had just completed the first 7 on Calderone's hit list.  A man with those skills would not have knocked over the coffee and donut, and in the unlikely event that he had, he would have noticed and cleaned up the mess before going into his hiding spot.

A man with these skills would not sit inside the house for hours, eat and wait for his victims to come home (hard to get away within a small house and like with Rodriguez he would have rather studied their habits and placed himself in a spot outside to kill them at the door and stay far away to get away safely afterwards. But if he did something that illogical, then it’s possible that he fell asleep or got surprised by them when coming home so that he had no time to clean up the mess. 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dragon48 said:

I wouldnt invite you to my house, simply because you pay attention to eeeeeeeeeeeverything.

• Haha 1

My counterpoint would be that he didn't anticipate the arrival of the Crockett's so soon so he didn't get the opportunity to finish said coffee and donut. And when Crockett arrived early he had to quickly hide and in his rush the coffee was spilled and a half eaten was left.

• Like 4

1983 Ford LTD Country Squire 4-Door Station Wagon. More than likely the base model of the LTD's as it has wheel covers and not rims and there is no no assist light between the front wheel and the front bumper.

i021577.jpg.8de99821a3494b3481906daa868ae5f8.jpg

Edited by king77
  • Like 2

If you observe it more closely there is no flaw at all with the coffee.

The hitman got spooked by the sounds of car engine or lights coming up the driveway and hid in the corner out of sight, how do I know this? the coffee is still leaking! from the cup which means the coffee cup got knocked over just before Sonny arrived with his wife and son.

Doubt the Argentinian was going to play Hazel Burke as they came in.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, king77 said:

1983 Ford LTD Country Squire 4-Door Station Wagon. More than likely the base model of the LTD's as it has wheel covers and not rims and there is no no assist light between the front wheel and the front bumper.

i021577.jpg.8de99821a3494b3481906daa868ae5f8.jpg

Cool - I did get the make and model right.  I wonder whether the producers were influenced by National Lampoon's Vacation when they decided to use that car to portray Caroline's ordinary working-class lifestyle.

Edited by dragon48

9 minutes ago, dragon48 said:

Cool - I did get the make and model right.  I wonder whether the producers were influenced by National Lampoon's Vacation when they decided to use that car to portray Caroline's ordinary working-class lifestyle.

Doubtful. At that time the station wagon was pretty much the same thing as a minivan is now. If you wanted to show that kind of lifestyle, that's the vehicle you put them in.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2022 at 5:39 AM, Tom said:

A man with these skills would not sit inside the house for hours, eat and wait for his victims to come home (hard to get away within a small house and like with Rodriguez he would have rather studied their habits and placed himself in a spot outside to kill them at the door and stay far away to get away safely afterwards. But if he did something that illogical, then it’s possible that he fell asleep or got surprised by them when coming home so that he had no time to clean up the mess. 

I think Tom that the reason Armstrong speeded up the process by waiting at Caroline's home was because he assumed (and was correct in doing so) that they thought Mendez was the assassin and he did keep his mouth about him shut prior to them leaving for the Island. It's actually quiet shrewd of him because he was obviously thinking there was a good chance that Sonny's would be coming back to his family home as they have got their man in custody and the danger has gone. 

Initially he was casual and arrogant, getting a kick of stalking Sonny up close but the final stage had to be a rushed kill. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

Shouldn't this topic have been posted in the thread for this episode?  Otherwise, this "tidbit" extra messes up the structure of this subforum. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Shouldn't this topic have been posted in the thread for this episode?  Otherwise, this "tidbit" extra messes up the structure of this subforum. 

If the mods want to, they can easily combine this with the existing thread.

39 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

If the mods want to, they can easily combine this with the existing thread.

1 hour ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Sorry guys - Didn't intend to make a newbie faux pas.   I looked and didn't find a topic for this episode.  The only thing I remember coming across was a thread where people were discussing the final scene of part 2, discussing Calderon's fall into the pool at great length.  I wouldn't mind mods merging this with the official thread for the episode.

31 minutes ago, dragon48 said:

Sorry guys - Didn't intend to make a newbie faux pas.   I looked and didn't find a topic for this episode.  The only thing I remember coming across was a thread where people were discussing the final scene of part 2, discussing Calderon's fall into the pool at great length.  I wouldn't mind mods merging this with the official thread for the episode.

I don't want to make it seem like a big deal, heh.  The thread for this episode is under the title "Hit List."  I look forward to your full review. 

• Like 1