Cool retrospective >

S.FL84

What screams at me about this retro vid ^ is they could resume shooting MV today this very day August 7, 2022 and pickup exactly where Don Johnson & Jimmy Smits were standing in 19 -  & freakin' wonderful pinnacle of humankind - 84 and never miss a beat.  I'm not aware of ANY television show in the history of television that could pull that off!  Miami is just as superficial, beautiful, drug filled and crazy as it was then.  I'm SOOO glad to have been around then and can appreciate MV for what is was & it's effect on basically everything.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Thankyou for sharing @S.FL84 a good piece.

Yea it was.  I'm amazed people IN MIAMI don't know who Don Johnson or Miami Vice is???  IMO he was the closest anyone ever got to being, for a short amount of time, my generation's ELVIS PRESLEY.  I'm not saying he was anywhere near Elvis's level of artist...but he was damn good w/ the show and his album & the duet w/ Barbara Streisand.  

That simply was the coolest video I have watched in a long time.  Thanks for posting and bringing back such happy memories!! 

• Like 1

The greatest thing about this sharing our love for what was in most of our formative years and still is THE greatest TV show in history.  Never before or since & probably ever will be a show as good as MV.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

If someone wasn't around then its impossible to understand the relevance of just how insane things were in Miami in the early 1980's which MV focused on.  My hometown, Monroe, La., had something similar.  When they opened a GM Guidelamp factory it was common in the early 1980's for a guy/girl to one day be working for $2.50/hr one week but they could get a job at the plant & immediately begin making $16/hr which is similar to a Miami illiterate illegal latino immigrant one day be cutting lawns for $5/day & get into the cocaine business and the next day be making $5,000 day or more.  < THAT is a truly insane time to have lived and completely imposssible to understand today.  Make certain you check the guy's hat at the (23:57) point.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 2

I remember people talking about people they knew w/out jobs who had Corvettes and lived in nice houses.  One day they'd just disappear and a few wks later a FOR SALE sign would be in the yard.  I never saw a moving truck so I'm sure all the belongings (furniture, appliances, clothes, pets, etc.) were just left.

• Like 1

Thanks for this video, I will be able to use these footages as a help to plan my Miami Trip (hope I can travel to Miami Next Year)

I didn't live in the 80s so as you mention it, I do not know what was the situation back then, but from what you tell I can say those years were really really different to what we experience in the world nowdays :)

If there was a timemachine available I would definitely give it a try and go back :)

Edited by Kalci

The lowest paid guy working for Mickey Munday got paid $10,000 for (1) usually 4hr nite's work.  This was in a time when if you made $18,000/yr you were doing way better than average.  Some guys worked 2-3 nites per month 12 months/yr.  This was untaxed, unreported, cash income.    Jon Roberts paid some people $10,000/day to use a spare closet in they're homes as a 'stash house' for either drugs or money and these people did NOTHING but keep they mouths shut.  < These people made 120k/yr of the same untaxed income in addition to working good jobs making 40k/yr.  This tidal wave of untaxed income skyrocketed the local economy in a time of bad recession thanks to Reagonomics.  

Edited by S.FL84

On 8/12/2022 at 11:05 AM, S.FL84 said:

Thanks for posting.  I like these old 1980s news clips.

The drug lab was at the Villa Royal condo at 6855 Abbott Avenue in North Beach ( the 8-story building here ).

Around 9:00 they show how people smuggled drugs inside statues - just like "Milk Run"!

statues.png.d7c9f0562d5cfa904ff5b2456f68aefa.png

The hat is at 26:57.  Very cool that real cops were wearing that!

hat.png.ec0e2f00e4c90611b6cc1be73e8d129e.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

That's what I love about Google Maps.  You can quickly see a clear pic of a location (like ^ this) but cannot see the incredible history of that spot.  Like the vid I linked and the fact he was standing on the EXACT spot where television history was made.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I discovered  Barefoot Vlogger sometime last year and been following him ever since. Even hung out with him a few times since we lived relatively near each other. He's the genuine article and a lot of fun to hang with. We've been planning to go to Miami and hang out and shoot more stuff for his channel but haven't made concrete plans yet.