RIP TC!

ViceFanMan

If this has already been posted somewhere, I apologize I did not see it, and you may either add this to that or delete this. But I just read of actor Roger E. Mosley’s passing...he was 83. ;( For original Magnum, p.i. fans, he played Theodore “TC” Calvin, Magnum’s friend and cohort. He passed away due to injuries sustained in a car accident the other day. 

20990FA0-5DCE-4BB3-AC36-C26EBB178F89.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

He was so wonderful as T.C. A real righteous character.  R.I.P. 

Exactly! Of course Tom Selleck ‘made’ the character of Thomas Magnum...but, it took the whole cast of “Magnum” to make the show work—definitely including characters Higgins, Rick, and TC! Not too long ago, in 2017, we also lost John Hillerman: Jonathan Quayle Higgins III. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

I would recommend to any fans that you try and find his film Leadbelly.  It’s a biopic about the blues guitarist Huddie Leadbetter and Mosley is the lead and always claimed it was his favorite role.  I have seen it twice myself.  He will be missed.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Exactly! Of course Tom Selleck ‘made’ the character of Thomas Magnum...but, it took the whole cast of “Magnum” to make the show work—definitely including characters Higgins, Rick, and TC! Not too long ago, in 2017, we also lost John Hillerman: Jonathan Quayle Higgins III. 

Rick reappeared on Hawaii Five-0...still wearing the ring they had them wearing on Magnum. The reboot of Magnum was, of course, terrible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Robbie C. said:

Rick reappeared on Hawaii Five-0...still wearing the ring they had them wearing on Magnum. The reboot of Magnum was, of course, terrible.

True...I don’t like nor even consider the “Magnum” remake. After CBS finally cancelled it, now NBC is trying to salvage it. :rolleyes: There’s only one “Magnum”, and that’s the original. 

However, for some reason/s I actually did really like the remake of Hawaii Five-0! Rarely do I ever like a remake of something that was already immensely popular in the past...but, as much of a diehard fan of the Jack Lord original as I am, I do really enjoy the 2010-2020 remake...which Larry Manetti (Rick from the original “Magnum”) periodically appeared. 

As Crockett said in To have and to hold: „you‘re getting old (Rico) …. even your heroes are over the hill.“

that‘s how I feel after reading this. TC was part of my childhood, together with the whole regular Magnum cast.

RIP

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, OCBman said:

He was also in Michael Mann's 1979 made-for-television movie, "The Jericho Mile".

May he rest in peace.

His performance in that was outstanding.

He was also great in an episode of "The Rockford Files" called "Dirty Money, Black Light"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

His performance in that was outstanding.

He was also great in an episode of "The Rockford Files" called "Dirty Money, Black Light"

… as Electric Larry, the loan shark.  He was great!

I also recently watched him again in The Streets of San Francisco episode called A String of Puppets.  He played an ex-con being used by a corrupt parole officer played by Claude Akins.  Excellent episode!

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

True...I don’t like nor even consider the “Magnum” remake. After CBS finally cancelled it, now NBC is trying to salvage it. :rolleyes: There’s only one “Magnum”, and that’s the original. 

However, for some reason/s I actually did really like the remake of Hawaii Five-0! Rarely do I ever like a remake of something that was already immensely popular in the past...but, as much of a diehard fan of the Jack Lord original as I am, I do really enjoy the 2010-2020 remake...which Larry Manetti (Rick from the original “Magnum”) periodically appeared. 

One of the reasons I enjoyed the new Five-0 was that it acknowledged what had come before (using the original theme, coming up with a solid reason for using the McGarrett name, and so on...they even had a tastefully done Jack Lord CGI appear in one episode when McGarrett was losing motivation - in a hospital chapel no less). James Cann's son was also a plus. They also didn't automatically kill off a character when the actor left the show, and also didn't "disappear" them like so many shows do. I didn't expect to like it, but actually do. They also had an incredibly sound second-level cast and could lure in fantastic guest stars (Carol Burnett, anyone?).

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm just starting to find out about this, this morning.  

I'm not normally one to chase after the details of a death, especially for someone like Mosley who I honor for his career,... but my heart goes out to this incident, and I want to know what happened.  The early reports are a car accident harsh enough to paralyze him from shoulders down.  That usually means a snapped neck joint, and that's a HARD WARRIOR way to have to die.  Soldiers in combat have to endure the harshness of that possibly happening to them in their over-the-limits lives.  But when an ordinary person encounters that kind of demise, it somehow seems much more painful---cuz he has no reason to tell himself, "THIS could happen to me, and I should be ready for this kind of risk".  

What the hell happened?  Hollywood lives and automobiles historically don't go well together.  ;(What happened?

3 hours ago, pahonu said:

… as Electric Larry, the loan shark.  He was great!

I also recently watched him again in The Streets of San Francisco episode called A String of Puppets.  He played an ex-con being used by a corrupt parole officer played by Claude Akins.  Excellent episode!

"Dirty Money, Black Light" is my favorite Rockford episode. The boxing scene is quite simply hilarious, when Jimmy is struggling in the ring and he appeals to Larry to stop the sparring "just show me a bit of faith will ya" and Electric Larry replies to his boxer "yeah! show him the faith" and he gets punched again :)

Also stars John P. Ryan "The Cell Within" and "Victor Argo" from "Redemption in Blood" & "Hostile Takeover"

• Like 1

The Rockford Files is my favorite TV series of all time and Dirty Money, Black Light is among my favorites, probably top 5.  Number one is Quickie Nirvana.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1