Jan Hammer Will Release Seasons Pt. 2 On August 19

Crockettt

In 2018 Jan Hammer re-emerged after a nearly decade-long hiatus with the release of Seasons Pt. 1, a compilation of existing musical ‘sketches’ that he’d developed into longer pieces just for the album. Seasons Pt. 1 was so well received—it was lauded by Something Else Reviews as..." a fully orchestrated sound, all springing from his fertile mind and creatively assisted by technology…” while Jazz da Gama raved, “Rarely have the breathtaking evocation of endless vistas and the glorious traditions and styles of classical and contemporary music come together so gloriously.” – that Jan wasted little time assembling a second set of music that has been compiled into Seasons Pt. 2, which will be released on August 19.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/news/jan-hammer-will-release-seasons-pt-2-on-august-19/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t gotten a chance to download/listen to all of it yet, but just listening to the snippets on iTunes, I didn’t hear any MV melodies (like on pt 1), but I did hear the Fairlight CMI Series 3 acoustic guitar from so many season 3 and 4 cues [El Viejo Mix, The Talk (CC release), etc.]. 

All in all, if you’re a JH fan you’ll like it. If you’re looking for MV-style music, you may be let down. I’m a little bit of both. :) 

• Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

All in all, if you’re a JH fan you’ll like it. If you’re looking for MV-style music, you may be let down. I’m a little bit of both. :) 

That’s Jan‘s eternal problem now. He wants to do new stuff that he likes but everyone’s just wants to hear MV tunes from him that he has no rights of. Last time (MV 2 discs 2002/2003) he legally circumvented that Universal rights issue by re-recording everything from scratch which is huge effort 

As hard as it sounds: without MV Jans music would have stayed a minority program.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

re-recording everything from scratch

For anyone who doesn’t know: this doesn’t mean he “remade” the songs all over again. He used some original data and tapes to make new recordings. And yes @Tom, that alone is still a big task—a task I recently offered to do for him with the remaining unreleased cues, but sadly the information (computers and reels) are beyond the ability to be used/found/repaired.  ;(

• Sad 2

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

For anyone who doesn’t know: this doesn’t mean he “remade” the songs all over again. He used some original data and tapes to make new recordings. And yes @Tom, that alone is still a big task—a task I recently offered to do for him with the remaining unreleased cues, but sadly the information (computers and reels) are beyond the ability to be used/found/repaired.  ;(

Correct. But to explain in legal terms: he composed the score for Universal who owns all rights on these cues. Jan just gets royalties. The only way to release them without Universals permission is to re-record which means (as you explained) that there has to be a certain artistic recreation value, effort or difference, otherwise Universal rights could be easily circumvented by just re-releasing from old tapes. That’s exactly the trap JH and Tim Truman are in. The latter even more as he does not earn royalties for released tracks at all as the geniuses of Universal have been rejecting to release any track for being „too costly“. 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Correct. But to explain in legal terms: he composed the score for Universal who owns all rights on these cues. Jan just gets royalties. The only way to release them without Universals permission is to re-record which means (as you explained) that there has to be a certain artistic recreation value, effort or difference, otherwise Universal rights could be easily circumvented by just re-releasing from old tapes. That’s exactly the trap JH and Tim Truman are in. The latter even more as he does not earn royalties for released tracks at all as the geniuses of Universal have been rejecting to release any track for being „too costly“. 

Also correct. So I will always make covers. :) :) :)  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

So I will always make covers. :) :) :)  

We can’t tell the difference anyway. ;)

• Like 2

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

Also correct. So I will always make covers. :) :) :)  

What ? These were not Jan Hammer Originals and you are not Jan? 
Another dream crushed! :p

• Haha 3

• Administrators

Just previewed the album on itunes.  I hear a lot that takes me back to "Beyond the Mind's Eye"    "Oceans and Continents" is right from "The First Seven Days"    (I wonder why he threw that in there)

Aside from that, a few snippets of Vice tunes here and there but as Dadrian said, if you're looking for Vice style music you will be disappointed.

I know that most talented musicians evolve over time. The ones that keep pumping out the same old stuff usually tend to fade away.  That being said, I applaud Jan for his talent, longevity and dedication to his craft.  Take the "Miami Vice" style out of the equation and it's an incredible piece of work! 

Just my .02

• Like 3

Okay so I listened to the whole thing. Here are some thoughts:

- it’s very obvious this guy was the MV composer for 4 years on tracks 1 (lots of “Robbie’s Theme” similarities) and 11 (“El Viejo” guitar sound—amazing the Fairlight still works after all these years!)

- the rest of it (except the Oceans and Continents redo, of course) sounds very much like everything he’s done since Drive in 1994 (to me), as he’s currently still using a lot of his 90s and 2000s keyboards to make new music. 

- every track has at least one rewarding surprise of some kind. $10 is an easy contribution for me to thank an elderly man (that still inspires me) for still taking time to entertain his fans and keep himself doing what he’s always done. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

For the track "Orbit X" Jan used the main melody from one of his cue composed for the movie "I come in Piece" from 1990.

Edited by Crockettt

22 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

For the track "Orbit X" Jan used the main melody from one of his cue composed for the movie "I come in Piece" from 1990.

Yes! I knew that seemed familiar. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 2:30 PM, Dadrian said:

Okay so I listened to the whole thing. Here are some thoughts:

- it’s very obvious this guy was the MV composer for 4 years on tracks 1 (lots of “Robbie’s Theme” similarities) and 11 (“El Viejo” guitar sound—amazing the Fairlight still works after all these years!)

- the rest of it (except the Oceans and Continents redo, of course) sounds very much like everything he’s done since Drive in 1994 (to me), as he’s currently still using a lot of his 90s and 2000s keyboards to make new music. 

- every track has at least one rewarding surprise of some kind. $10 is an easy contribution for me to thank an elderly man (that still inspires me) for still taking time to entertain his fans and keep himself doing what he’s always done. 

I have a copy of Seasons Part-1, and much of the album contains a faint presence of Miami Vice's "background atmosphere".  Deliberately NOT using any of Vice's themes or segues, but still feeling like what I called a "kind of Vice off-duty during weekend around the city of Miami"  (imagine Tubbs giving a lift to an old lady after some errands at the corner grocery store, or Gina visiting an art gallery). 

NOT being Miami Vice music in an concrete way, but invoking a feeling in you that suits the picture of Miami that was painted for us in that Miami Vice show.  

I liked the Part-1 collection for feeling thinly familiar, but still remaining vague.

Is your conclusion that Part-2 no longer has even that LITTLE "familiarity" in that direction (apart from the two tracks you mentioned)?   If so, then I won't follow through with ordering my copy.

Edited by Augusta

In my case, I "liked" Seasons Part 1 ...  I need to listen Part 2 ASAP on my streaming service. 

Hope I don't expect too mutch like for Part 1 ...

We'll see 

• Like 1

I enjoyed  Seasons Part 1  in 2018 as well as the Sketches in Jazz  release in 2020. This release two years later has been in the works since 2021 , Elliott Sears (Jan’s Manager) told me it was completed at the end of last year but a few more tracks were added.

I really like this release, I would have hoped for a Vice track but it didn’t happen - however so many sound like that trademark Vice sound.

The album feels invigorated and involves you on every level. “Waves” is just excellent with a really great Hammer feel it hooks you in a with a Vice style intro. Lots of piano on this LP and guitar sounds you hear all over MV.

Streaming” track one has strong elements of “Buddies” and “Forgive is our Debts” themes as Dadrian has stated but with hints of the “Better  Living through Chemistry” theme. Sounds like it’s lifted from those episodes but more updated.

A great edition to any Jan Hammer’s fans collection. I hope for a vinyl release but not scheduled ( as Seasons Part 1 and Sketches in Jazz) even cd versions of Part 2 seem hard to get hold. Sketches in Jazz only had a digital only release which I always thought strange. 
Finally throughly recommended - buy it and support the Miami Vice maestro!

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Summer Solstice” on the new Seasons Pt.2  album is also just great. Piano and guitars - really very uplifting.

Will probrably be released as a single release. “Winter Solstice” was released on Seasons Pt.1 in July 2018 and as a single on December 21, 2021.

Edited by Matt5

• 1 month later...

Suite Atmosphere (remix) single from Jan Hammer’s fine album “Seasons, Part 2” is out as of yesterday on Jan’s record label, 7jazz US \ GmbH. On iTunes and Spotify.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

Couldn’t find much information online and nothing here in the States- but this is from Europe with quotes from Jan Hammer on the “Suite Atmosphere” single release from “Seasons Pt.2”  by Jan Hammer and The Second Sight. Dropped 10/14.

(the text does give you option to translate to English).

https://www.musix.de/audimix/jan-hammer-vs-second-sight-suite-atmosphere-remix

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is the final track “Suite Horizon” from “Seasons Part 2 “   (released August 19, 22)at 1:13 minutes in and in particular the last minute of the track sounds like Miami Vice 2022- obviously Jan’ s intention. The beginning sounds like it’s lifted from Jan’s 1993 “Beyond the Minds Eye” LP.

I give this track 10 out of 10. 

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

After the October release of the single “Suite Atmosphere” with The Second Sight from the new JH album “Seasons Part 2”,  Jan’s record label have released another collaboration between JH and The Second Sight. The video shows new shots of Jan filmed for the single.

Released on JHs record label 7us/7music group titled “Crockett’s Theme 23”. 

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2