New UK Blu-ray from 88 Films December

bodie

Apparently a special edition and some saying it may have both cuts, which would be a UK debut for the Unrated Director's Edition. We'll see what (jan) hammers out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bodie said:

Apparently a special edition and some saying it may have both cuts, which would be a UK debut for the Unrated Director's Edition. We'll see what (jan) hammers out.

Hey thanks Bodie for the update. I really hope this release comes to fruition as I’ve actually never seen the Directors Cut before. 
I did look into seeing if I could stream the movie but had no luck. I’ve seen some of the deleted scenes separately but I would love to experience the full Michael Mann vision in its entirety. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:10 PM, Miami Beau said:

Hey thanks Bodie for the update. I really hope this release comes to fruition as I’ve actually never seen the Directors Cut before. 
I did look into seeing if I could stream the movie but had no luck. I’ve seen some of the deleted scenes separately but I would love to experience the full Michael Mann vision in its entirety. Fingers crossed. 

Yeah it's funny, there is a reason for both - there are things unique to each edit, it's not like one is straight expanded. I actually like the end playing out without the music as per the theatrical version, for example :tasse:

Edited by bodie
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 12:37 AM, bodie said:

Yeah it's funny, there is a reason for both - there are things unique to each edit, it's not like one is straight expanded. I actually like the end playing out without the music as per the theatrical version, for example :tasse:

Wow, I didn’t know they removed the music at the end, sounds ominous. I know they had the whole Great McCarthy intro which I’ve seen on YouTube. Let us know if you hear any more updates :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, Miami Beau said:

Wow, I didn’t know they removed the music at the end, sounds ominous. I know they had the whole Great McCarthy intro which I’ve seen on YouTube. Let us know if you hear any more updates :thumbsup: 

On the commentary Mann talks about how there was lots of discussion over the inclusion of Nonpoint's In the Air Tonight building up the finale. So in the Unrated Director's Edition it plays, in the Theatrical Cut it doesn't.

So whilst I like the added bits, like the scene you mention, in the UDE, I actually prefer the end without the music.

The thing beyond that I miss in the UDE is the bit where Sonny says 'Go-fast boats running that close? On radar they look like one, not two. Total darkness? Man, those are skill sets. Plus, who runs four 250 Mercs off a deep-V hull?' The bit about skill sets is not in the UDE and I really miss it. Silly I know, but it is just a moment I really clicked with when I first saw it and whenever I hear the phrase I always think of that scene... fans eh :D

• Like 1

That’s awesome to hear. Not a fan on the Nonpoint cover. They really should of just remixes the original song. Anyways looking forward to this, hope we can an actual release. 

• Like 1

I saw the Unrated Director's Edition a while back, maybe a year or so ago.  I paid for it with Amazon Prime.  I much preferred the original theater release.  The real soundtrack flowed better and created a better mood.  The biggest buzzkill for me with the alternate version was some plane scenes without the Audioslave tracks.  Not sure whether "Shape of Things to Come," and/or "Wide Awake" were featured in those scenes, but wither way, I dearly missed the ambiance that the original tracks created.

Edited by dragon48
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, dragon48 said:

I saw the Unrated Director's Edition a while back, maybe a year or so ago.  I paid for it with Amazon Prime.  I much preferred the original theater release.  The real soundtrack flowed better and created a better mood.  The biggest buzzkill for me with the alternate version was some plane scenes without the Audioslave tracks.  Not sure whether "Shape of Things to Come," and/or "Wide Awake" were featured in those scenes, but wither way, I dearly missed the ambiance that the original tracks created.

I'm not sure on that but I know he likes to play around with music in a big way between versions. I think both are, to the best of my knowledge, pretty heavy on the Audioslave. But I think that hadn't even come out back when the movie was made, so it was a fresh sound then.

12 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I believe this is the one I’ve had on DVD since like 2006. Is that possible? (I don’t even want to Google it :) )

Yup, probably late '06 for that one. So you'd definitely get a bump from having an HD copy. I believe you're not in the UK, so I wouldn't import this release at this stage; wait and see if it comes out on UHD 4K Blu-ray. If not, the Unrated Director's Edition Blu-ray is $9.99 on US amazon.

8 hours ago, bodie said:

Yup, probably late '06 for that one. So you'd definitely get a bump from having an HD copy. I believe you're not in the UK, so I wouldn't import this release at this stage; wait and see if it comes out on UHD 4K Blu-ray. If not, the Unrated Director's Edition Blu-ray is $9.99 on US amazon.

I think this was back when I was copying discs from Netflix :) :blind:

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 2:13 AM, Dadrian said:

I think this was back when I was copying discs from Netflix :) :blind:

Ah, the good/bad old days. Years ago charity shops in London UK stopped taking DVDs, much as they did VHS years before. I believe now many are like that with Blu-ray too. It will all come back of course, like physical media for music which is ridiculously popular now... vinyl has always had fans, but it's huge now. But who thought we would ever see audio cassettes again :shout:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

So this all went a bit quiet and now we find out why. It's actually coming from 88 next year now on UHD 4K Blu-ray. So actually very good news indeed.

I hope it's an opportunity that Michael Mann takes to exhume all that footage nobody has seen. He's busy at the moment with Ferrari, so maybe not a new cut of the film, but surely presenting the scenes as an extended package would be really sweet added value :radar:

• 9 months later...

Man, I was reading and A LOT was cut from the movie, even an ending where at the end of it all Crockett would’ve gone home to his wife! And it would’ve been a 3 hour movie. 

IMG_2426.thumb.jpeg.7425c5db9dd7c402664161cee2db4c3b.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, bodie said:

So this all went a bit quiet and now we find out why. It's actually coming from 88 next year now on UHD 4K Blu-ray. So actually very good news indeed.

I hope it's an opportunity that Michael Mann takes to exhume all that footage nobody has seen. He's busy at the moment with Ferrari, so maybe not a new cut of the film, but surely presenting the scenes as an extended package would be really sweet added value :radar:

Now it's regular Blu-ray, coming November, but the features and packaging make it a clear choice for fans;

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • 2-Disc Set
  • Limited Edition Double-Walled O-Ring featuring New Artwork by Sean Longmore
  • Limited Edition A3 Double-sided Fold-out Poster
  • Limited Edition 20 Page Booklet Notes by Writer and Film-maker Sean Hogan
  • Includes both Theatrical Version (Disc 1 - 132 Mins) and Director’s Version (Disc 2- 139 Mins)
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-rays in 2.39:1 Aspect Ratio
  • 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • Optional English SDH
  • Audio Commentary by Film Journalists Sean Hogan and James Mottram (Theatrical Version)
  • Miami Vice: Vice City - Retrospective Documentary Featuring all new contributions from Actor Barry Shabaka Henley, Actor Tony Curran, Composer John Murphy, Producer Pieter Jan Brugge, Cinematographer Dion Beebe, Associate Producer Sarah Bradshaw and Film Critic Hannah Strong
    (HD)
  • Miami Vice Undercover
Miami & Beyond: Shooting on Location
  • Visualising Miami Vice
Behind the Scenes:
  • - Mojo Race
  • - Gun Training
  • - Haitian Hotel
  • - Camera Blocking
  • Theatrical Trailer (HD)

TECHNICAL SPECS
  • Release Date: 27/11/2023
  • Region Code: B
  • Picture Format: HD 1080p 2.39:1
  • Audio Format: 5.1
  • Language: English
  • Subtitles: SDH
  • Certification: 15
  • Running Time: 132 / 139
  • Discs: 2
Sku: 88FB486
Vendor: 88 Films88FB486MiamiVice3DSlipcase_800x.thumb.jpg.7161f039e57a3ca0d3186aec0c82e87a.jpg
  • Like 2