Top 3 episodes from each season?

apocalypse

How about this kind of topic? It has probably been made before but why not make it again?

Here's my take.

Top three of each season.

SEASON 1:

-----------

1. Golden Triangle Part 2
Absolutely perfect episode. All supporting actors are great. Lao Li and Dave Menton are superb. Maybe the best Jan Hammer track "Trial" of "Trial and the Search" and superb performance from Castillo. 

2. Lombard
Dennis Farina was amazingly charismatic crook and he was totally believable as a mob boss. His son really made some solid performance too. You just can't help but like that character. The dialogue is great, atmosphere is great, acting is great. Too bad there wasn't more of him in the future. Sure he made a brief return in World of Trouble but he could have been consistent supporting actor in the series. Amazing crook character. Maybe he just wasn't available due to other Michael Mann projects.

3. Evan
A classic. Nothing else has to be said.

Honorable mention: The Home Invaders, Calderone's return
Low points of S1: The Great McCarthy and some cartoonish storylines (like One Eyed Jack where Tubbs gets to the mob inner circle in a few days, etc).

Overall it's probably the most solid season. Izzy and Noogie brought a lot of humor too. Maybe the humor is "Made For Eachother" went a bit overboard.

SEASON 2:

------------

1. Out Where the Buses Don't Run
This is definitely top-3 Miami Vice episode. The guy who plays Hank Weldon makes a remarkable role and his acting is 10 out 10. The storyline and plot are genius and the ending with Brothers in Arms is definitely cemented in TV history. That is one of the pinnacle moments of Miami Vice. 

2. Payback
Again, the supporting actor Graham Beckel as Kevin Cates makes great work here. Frank Zappa, of course, is a legend and his character was spot on. Jan Hammer's Payback tune is one of his best and Crockett never looked cooler when he went to meet Maroto. Roberto Duran who played Maroto was a genuine bad ass too.

3. Yankee Dollar
One way ticket and Yankee Dollar. Couldn't decide which one I like better, really. John Heard as Laurence Thurmond was amazing as a sleazy lawyer and the ending in Rum Cay was a classic (with that amazing Jan Hammer tune) but I think Yankee Dollar is even better.

Ned Eisenberg makes a great crook as Charlie Glide and this episode has a great storyline. All supporting actors are amazing except for Max Rogo (Glide's assistant). Once again Par Avion in the beginning was a great music choice.

Honorable mention: Prodigal Son, The Fix, Phil the Shill, Definitely Miami
Low points of S2: Junk Love, Buddies, Little Miss Dangerous, The Dutch Oven. Again some stupid cartoonish characters like the ridiculously overacting nerd who confiscates Crockett's Daytona in Whatever Works.

Season 2 has the best vibe, most great episodes and in some ways the show had matured a lot from S1 and I'd make it my favorite season without those four rather weak episodes. S1 was more consistent.

SEASON 3:

-----------

1. Forgive Us Our Debts
To me, this is the best episode of Miami Vice. I remember watching this as a kid and the ending totally blew me away. The spectator somehow developed sympathy for Hackman during the episode and that ending was totally unexcepted. There is absolutely nothing I don't like in this episode. Totally genius storyline and development.

2. Down For the Count
It's a solid double episode with great cast. Don King and another genuine super tough guy Randall Tex Cobb. Pepe Serna makes another good role as Guzman and Zito's death was kinda heartbreaking.

3. Red Tape
Everything clicks here. The storyline is good and Scott Plank was a handsome and talented actor. Rico's acting is great. I love when Lou Diamond Phillips comes to the office when Tubbs is stealing some papers and Tubbs roughs him up. Alan Parsons Project "Closer to Heaven" is absolutely perfect fit for the perfect ending. "Is this a real world or fool's paradise"? 

Honorable mention: El Viejo, The Good Collar, Better Living Through Chemistry
Low points of S3: Viking Bikers From Hell, The Afternoon Plane

Overall a decent Season. Best Miami Vice episode ever, nothing really bad. Even Viking Bikers is quite enjoyable albeit being ridiculous. I really liked Sonny's looks in S3 until he grew the stupid mullet.

SEASON 4:

------------

1. Death and the Lady
This goes to my top-3 Miami Vice episodes ever (along with "Buses" and "Forgive us our debts"). As I said it's almost like David Lynch directed this one. The episode has that similar "Twin Peaksque" atmosphere. Maybe Don Johnson's best acting ever along with Child's Play. The storyline is amazing and the guy who plays Milton Glantz made great work. When Tubbs comes to Crockett's boat and says "Moon over Miami"... the vibe is very dark, oppressive.... when Crockett goes to meet that very beautiful Kelly Lynch and her "dead eyes"... the ending is absolute classic... Castillo says "another day detective" and then burned out cop full of anger... who sees a lot of violence and injustice in his work all the time... drives to this woke yuppie artist's apartment and shows how "chic" real, genuine violence is. A good life lesson and symbolic ending. Absolutely perfect episode.

2. Deliver Us from Evil
Excellent sequel to Forgive Us Our Debts. This has been beaten to death. Nothing more has to be said. Ending is classic and in a way I was happy to get rid of Caitlin.

TIE: 

3. Mirror Image
This is Jan Hammer's departure and it shows. A lot of great old tunes are recycled here and this is the beginning of very unrealistic but very entertaining and enjoyable "Burnett saga". Great cliffhanger. Loved it. Julia Roberts was hot too.

3. Blood And Roses
Very entertaining episode. I liked Frank Mosca character and that build up with Gina was great. I also like Contempt of Court and I wish they would have sticked to Lombard, Charlie Glide, Lao Li and Mosca longer and kept them in the series. Good crooks are essential for good drama and Miami Vice wasted and underused these great characters.

Honorable mention: Hell Hath No Fury, Contempt of Court, Child's Play
Low points: Cows of October, Missing Hours, Rock and a Hard Place (maybe my least favorite episode in Miami Vice, it's ridiculous).

Overall I think Season 4 was very solid. Just a few total crap episodes and that silly backstory with Caitlin/marriage. That never worked. Sonny gained some weight during this season, didn't look as good with that long hair as in the previous seasons and I think he changed his acting too. He looked more of a burned out and cynical detective but still seemed to have genuine passion for his role which unfortunately faded away in S5.

SEASON 5:

------------

1. Hostile Takeover
The Burnett saga is so unrealistic in many ways but I really liked these episodes and the change of pace. DJ was really good as a mob member, looked really fit and sharp here and  of course Debra Winger was super hot. These have been discussed to death so not much to add. 

2. Redemption in Blood
Same thing. Very unrealistic. Sonny murders like 5 people in this trilogy, shoots at his partner, gets his memory back and somehow he can still return to Vice as it nothing happened. Just went to a psychiatrist a few times. In many ways that was so stupid but who cares... these were still very entertaining episodes. I also loved the flashbacks from old episodes. These are very well directed too. My only problem is that El Gato was way too cartoonish character and they really overdid it.

3. Asian Cut
This has a lot of sick stuff but has a lot of great actors. David Schramm made a remarkable role as a nutcase doctor. Carlos was good, Tegoro was good and Trudy acted amazingly in this one. Very dark atmosphere, very violent vibe but this was one of the few episodes in S5 where everything kinda clicked.

Honorable mention: Freefall (it wasn't that great but it wasn't all bad, either), World of Trouble (just because of Lombard)
Low points: Too many to mention. S5 gave a lot of promise with the Burnett saga but didn't deliver. It looks like DJ and PMT lost their passion for MV during S5 and it kinda shows from their acting. They look like they are just going through the motions and waiting the show to finally end. Crockett's bleached messy, curly hair and oversized baggy clothes didn't look good, either. That style didn't suit him at all. He really looked burned out and tired during the S5 most of the time. Switek got a bit more exposure is S5 but too bad he was only portrayed as a loser in the end. Somehow the show just "faded away" and they kinda missed the chance to say proper symbolic "goodbyes" to all those important characters (Gina, Trudy, Stan, Castillo) in the last episodes. Tim Truman did great work but he was no Jan Hammer who's music was ESSENTIAL part of the show. I almost wish they never made the S5. Sorry but that's how I feel.

Edited by apocalypse

I liked season 5 exactly for the reasons you mentioned. I also felt this MV could not go forever and I kinda liked seeing Don changing his hair to a more natural more messy one and also his clothes were might not as fashionable as before, It was more realistic to me for burnt out cop. I really liked that the main characters were changing(burning out) since I think that is realistic too.  So those thing  were totally OK with me.  For me the low point was season 4 when I was still looking for(my mistake) the old Vice Vibe (Season 1-3) and they couldn't deliver the level (personal opinion of course) I started to watch season 5 acknowledging it is never going to be as high as for example season 3 was, and with that attitude I was able to enjoy almost the whole season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kalci said:

I liked season 5 exactly for the reasons you mentioned. I also felt this MV could not go forever and I kinda liked seeing Don changing his hair to a more natural more messy one and also his clothes were might not as fashionable as before, It was more realistic to me for burnt out cop. I really liked that the main characters were changing(burning out) since I think that is realistic too.  So those thing  were totally OK with me.  For me the low point was season 4 when I was still looking for(my mistake) the old Vice Vibe (Season 1-3) and they couldn't deliver the level (personal opinion of course) I started to watch season 5 acknowledging it is never going to be as high as for example season 3 was, and with that attitude I was able to enjoy almost the whole season.

Yeah you make a good bit about audience expectations going into season 5. The way I see it, S1 and S2 the golden years. Then S3 part 1 (The change to darker clothing, storylines ect) then S3 Part 2 (When audience figures started to diminish and they soften the changes they made at the start of Season 3. 

Season 4 they tried to go back to the season 2 aesthetic clothing and style wise. Yet they they decided to experiment with different storyline ideas which didn’t work. I feel they should of fully gone back to basics at the start of Season 4 but they didn’t. 
Season 5 was a very stand alone individual season that had its own tone and vibe and aesthetic which was similar but still different to what had come before. The whole season is tinged with bleakness. Many may not like it but it was consistent tonally.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, apocalypse said:

SEASON 5:

------------

1. Hostile Takeover
The Burnett saga is so unrealistic in many ways but I really liked these episodes and the change of pace. DJ was really good as a mob member, looked really fit and sharp here and  of course Debra Winger was super hot. These have been discussed to death so not much to add. 

2. Redemption in Blood
Same thing. Very unrealistic. Sonny murders like 5 people in this trilogy, shoots at his partner, gets his memory back and somehow he can still return to Vice as it nothing happened. Just went to a psychiatrist a few times. In many ways that was so stupid but who cares... these were still very entertaining episodes. I also loved the flashbacks from old episodes. These are very well directed too. My only problem is that El Gato was way too cartoonish character and they really overdid it.

3. Asian Cut
This has a lot of sick stuff but has a lot of great actors. David Schramm made a remarkable role as a nutcase doctor. Carlos was good, Tegoro was good and Trudy acted amazingly in this one. Very dark atmosphere, very violent vibe but this was one of the few episodes in S5 where everything kinda clicked.

Honorable mention: Freefall (it wasn't that great but it wasn't all bad, either), World of Trouble (just because of Lombard)
Low points: Too many to mention. S5 gave a lot of promise with the Burnett saga but didn't deliver. It looks like DJ and PMT lost their passion for MV during S5 and it kinda shows from their acting. They look like they are just going through the motions and waiting the show to finally end. Crockett's bleached messy, curly hair and oversized baggy clothes didn't look good, either. That style didn't suit him at all. He really looked burned out and tired during the S5 most of the time. Switek got a bit more exposure is S5 but too bad he was only portrayed as a loser in the end. Somehow the show just "faded away" and they kinda missed the chance to say proper symbolic "goodbyes" to all those important characters (Gina, Trudy, Stan, Castillo) in the last episodes. Tim Truman did great work but he was no Jan Hammer who's music was ESSENTIAL part of the show. I almost wish they never made the S5. Sorry but that's how I feel.

I liked how you used the term “fade away” because it does feel like that towards the end of the show. Having rewatched Hostile Takeover recently, it’s safe to say DJ was very much into his role and gave a really good acting performance. It’s clear to me there was a lot of time and consideration put into the whole Burnett saga but sadly, that seemed to diminish as the season went on. I can only imagine the moral amongst the production team must of been real low after NBC officially announced the cancellation in February 1989. Ironically, besides Crockett and Tubbs, only the previous guest stars from season 1 got an actual good buy send off. Those being May Ying, Lombard and  Valerie. Great seeing those loose ends tie up but why stop there? Why didn’t producers bring back the Calderone storyline or even push for Phil Collins to return post his 1986/1987 Genesis tour. Collins had already previously agree to return in season 3 before scheduling conflicts. And more importantly, why didn’t Castillo or the rest of the OCB team get a final goodbye. I see a lot of missed opportunities here and it’s even more confusing when they did attempt closure for only certain characters.  

• Like 2

I strongly disagree about season 4 being bad. Of course that doesn't make me right... just a disagreeable fellow haha. I think they HAD to change the storylines and refresh the show somehow. And they did. Sure there are total garbage ones like Missing Hours, the whole Caitlin story and Cows of October but also very good episodes. The ones I didn't mention:

Child's Play (if not great at least one of DJ's best acting performances. He got labeled as a "pretty boy" and "lousy actor" in the press a lot back in those days but in some episodes like Death and the Lady and Child's Play he made (imho) his best acting performances ever.

Contempt of Court is very good episode. Mosca was great and the storyline was excellent. Sure it was a lot different and didn't have the same "vibe" at all but so what. Not all episodes have to revolve around Colombian drug dealers.

The Big Thaw is hilarious because of Izzy. Ok, the episode is far from great but the humor worked most of the time.

Vote of confidence, Hell Hath no Fury, Baseballs of death... I think they're all solid. 

Bullett for Crockett is a filler, sure.

S3 second part was much worse, imho.

And good point about Crockett looking tired and bored in S5... it suited to his character, sure. My problem is that the episodes are just weak and DJ clearly wasn't enthusiastic anymore. He definitely WAS during the S4 most of the time... and also during the Burnett trilogy as someone said. You can "sense" it from his acting. During the S4 Crockett was already burning out... but you can see that everything was "spiritually" still pretty much like in the old days (although the storylines changed). Only Stan was maybe a bit less involved which is a shame. Always liked his character and acting a lot. That Burnett trilogy has the old Miami Vice vibe... that didn't come back in the whole S5 at all.

I don't even like Freefall. Being the last episode the storyline should have been constructed around the whole crew... Castillo, Trudy, Gina and Stan...  and they should have tied all the loose ends and make the episode much more emotionally effective. They had five years of history together... going through all kinds things as a tight, close crew. When they left they didn't even say goodbyes to Gina, Stan and Trudy. They should have deserved a decent departure too. Too much shooting, action and all that garbage. It's not a bad episode but very mediocre as a Grand Finale.

Edited by apocalypse
  • Like 2

One thing... the season 3 fashion and darker look looks almost contemporary today. It's the LEAST visually outdated season to my eye. I could be totally wrong too... I'm not a fashion guru or expert by no means.

• Like 1

Anyway I agree that there were very weak episodes in season 3 but in case of a TV show I might be a forgiving type of guy if I see very high points also. Weak points in the second half of season 3 : The Afternoon Play, Theresa,Heroes of Revolution and Viking Bikers from Hell.(for me)

My personal problem was and still is with Season 4 even if I love Season 4 hairstyle as well as acting from DJ, that those very high points(like Deliver Us from Evil,Lend Me an Ear) in my opinion disappeared and that lack highlighted the low points of this season. Also the MTV cops style storytelling was not as carefully done as in earlier seasons.

My favorite from Season 4 is definitely Indian Wars. We were talking about low points of S5 for example Miracle Man or Leap of Faith and they are weak right but not as weak as Missing Hours or Cowboys of October  which I should say really reminding people how low Miami Vice went. Or at least these episodes were really demoralizing and har to forget how bad they are :D :D

S5 Too Much Too Late wasnt as bad in my opinion because I agree that selling your daughter for drugs could have been a real possibility and can be still today if someone is addicted to drugs so heavily so I kind of agreed on the importance of that episode, and the women who characterized the drug addict mother also was very ridiculous in that, I am not familiar with addicts so I can't say it was a bad acting performance or not. But was kind of funny in a way :D ) And again a timeless theme for that Episode from Tim Truman was really a defining one, and was used when they made the sell. Totally perfect for that scene.

S4 : Of course there were some exceptions that I loved even if an episode wasn't that good. For me that was always an important part that I want something to take away. Some experience that I can remember back of easily even if I haven't watched an episode for 3years. And MTV like storytelling really goes into our heads and stays I think if well shot and edited.

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 1

Uh I forgot to watch Indian Wars again. Gotta check that out. 

So many good episodes in S4. It was overall a good season with some silly, very bad episodes. Perhaps it was just too much different to the people who lived through S1 and S2 when they were new.

Maybe the change was just too dramatic to everyone's liking.

My main point is that it's still very LIVELY season. You can sense the good atmosphere among the actors (and actresses). 

S5 was just going through the motions. Some of the S5 storylines aren't bad. It's just that the cast didn't seem to have the same enthusiasm anymore. Something very essential was lost "spiritually" in S5. There are a lot of dark takes from the police station from Crockett and Castillo alone... rooms are rarely filled with other cops at all. There was probaby big budget cuts too. As someone pointed out they knew it was going to end soon. Maybe sadness, boredom, whatever affected and it was almost like the cast themselves thought that the show has run its course.

• Like 1

And imho Crockett's burning out was very apparent in S4. They built it up gradually. This was very nicely done.

Death and the Lady (which is a masterpiece of an episode) was the first sign of that. He went and beat up Milton Glantz in the end. He wouldn't have done that kind of thing in earlier seasons.

Look at that dialogue and that scene... and how well DJ acted there. Very impressive.

Then came Child's Play, Deliver Us From Evil and Mirror Image... and the nice trilogy. It was just too much to take.

In S5 he looked burned out and tired and the previous story really suit to that look really well. I just have a feeling that they could have done MUCH better if they just continued the Burnett saga to say, three-four more episodes.

I don't know if the Burnett trilogy raised the ratings much at all. I have no data but the idea was interesting to have Sonny as a bad guy. 

At least it was refreshing and different. And Sonny looked so cool.

World of Trouble and Bad Timing put the show quickly back to mediocrity unfortunately. 

I remember watching these episodes when they were new. I awaited so much from the show after the Burnett trilogy and each new episode was a disappointment after another. They couldn't get anything even remotely as cool going anymore. Even Lombard's return was a bit watered down. His son was a different actor and all that. At least they should have taken Noogie back. :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

S1: Heart of Darkness, Evan & Golden Triangle Pt. II

S2: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Payback, Back in the World, Yankee Dollar

S3: The Good Collar, El Viejo, Down For The Count Pt. I

S4: Contempt of Court, Child's Play, Blood & Roses

S5: The Lost Madonna, Over the Line & Jack of All Trades* 

These would be my picks.

Edited by BretuL
  • Like 3

On 9/11/2022 at 9:33 PM, apocalypse said:

One thing... the season 3 fashion and darker look looks almost contemporary today. It's the LEAST visually outdated season to my eye. I could be totally wrong too... I'm not a fashion guru or expert by no means.

I'd say Season 5 fashion is still very much in style especially Crockett's outfits Blazers with a t-shirt and light jeans with sand colored suede shoes is very much in style. Not to mention patterned suit jackets that Tubbs wears.

• Like 1

Season 1  "Home Invaders" - "Brothers Keeper" - "Evan"

Season 2 - Bought & Paid For" "The Prodigal Son" - "One Way Ticket"

Season 3 "Killshot" - "Forgive Us Our Debts" -  "El Viejo"

Season 4 "Baseballs of Death" - "Rising Sun of Death" - "Badge of Dishonor"

Season 5 "Hostile Takeover" - "Fruit of the Poison Tree" - "Hard Knocks"

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

s1
Heart of Darkness; Give A Little, Give A Little, Take a Little; Made For Each Other

s2

Bought And Paid For; Little Miss Dangerous; Payback

s3
Killshot; The Good Collar; Streetwise

s4
Death and the Lady; Child's Play; Deliver Us from Evil

s5
Hard Knocks; Miami Squeeze; Freefall

• Like 2

Just watched "The Lost Madonna" from S5 again. It's a decent episode. Forgot to mention that.

Asian Cut really is brilliant and it stands out. Reminds me a bit of "Death And the Lady". Same kind of dark, spooky atmosphere.

From S2 I never understood why people like "Little Miss Dangerous" that much. Florence Italy is a crappy one too but that car chase between the Daytona and Porsche 906 was amazing. 

PS: One example of a 906 was sold for $1.980.00. But that was years ago. Could be even more expensive now.

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb apocalypse:

Just watched "The Lost Madonna" from S5 again. It's a decent episode. Forgot to mention that.

Asian Cut really is brilliant and it stands out. Reminds me a bit of "Death And the Lady". Same kind of dark, spooky atmosphere.

From S2 I never understood why people like "Little Miss Dangerous" that much. Florence Italy is a crappy one too but that car chase between the Daytona and Porsche 906 was amazing. 

PS: One example of a 906 was sold for $1.980.00. But that was years ago. Could be even more expensive now.

For $1.980.00 it´s a steal and i would take it! :p

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Some great episodes in Season 5 and great locations in Season 5 a lot of locations are focused in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. 
I was at the Mayfair Suites just last week in Coconut Grove — it’s had a real bad time in recent years but has come back strong. 
Check out “Too Much Too Late” and “Jack of All Trades” shot extensively at The Mayfair, Mayfair shops are history though.