Real Life Sounds Like A Vice or CSI Intro

maynard

Violent death stuns family of man whose remains were found in Bay BY JENNIFER LEBOVICHjlebovich@MiamiHerald.comOsben Laparra often stayed out late dancing on Saturday night, so his brother and friends had no qualms about leaving him at a Little Havana club last week.When he didn't come home Sunday, his brother, Elvio Laparra, kept calling his cellphone but heard nothing.He spent two days checking hospitals for the 21-year-old.Wednesday, he heard a news story about dismembered remains found in two plastic bags in Biscayne Bay and the description: a white man with black, straight, medium-to-shoulder-length hair.He called police.''I don't know what happened,'' Elvio Laparra said Thursday morning, sitting in the apartment he shared with his brother, whom he called Omar, and his sister.Just before noon Thursday, a pedestrian spotted another body part in the water off Bicentennial Park and called police. Detectives would not say what it was or whether it was in a plastic bag.Investigators are working to determine if the remains belong to Laparra.About 1:30 p.m., police got a second call of possible human remains in the 600 block of Sabal Palm Road. A man said he thought there were remains under his boat dock, which is on Biscayne Bay. Police have not yet confirmed whether the remains are human.Elvio Laparra said his brother had gotten into a few fights, but that he didn't know of any enemies.''I never should have left him in the club alone,'' he said. ``I just don't understand why someone would kill him like that. He never really had problems with anyone.''His only arrest in Miami-Dade was last year for disorderly intoxication.The younger brother came from Guatemala about seven years ago and worked in construction as a laborer.The brothers would send money back home to their family.He would work every day, and on Saturdays go out dancing at a club on Calle Ocho.He kept a pair of soccer shoes by the door, always ready for a Sunday game at a nearby park. A calendar pinned to the wall in the Little Havana apartment shows Laparra with his team, lying in front. A soccer medal hangs on the wall.''I can't believe it,'' Elvio said in Spanish, pulling his T-shirt over his face to wipe his red eyes. His sister could be heard sobbing in another room. ``My poor brother.''Wednesday Elvio had to break the tragic news to his mother in Guatemala. He plans to send his brother's body back there to be buried.Law enforcement authorities on Thursday continued their investigation into finding Laparra's killer.On Thursday, a cleaning crew found a bag of bloody clothes along the beach in Pompano Beach. Miami police said the bag was similar to the ones containing the remains and that the bag with clothing inside might be related to the killing.Early Wednesday, a cyclist spotted a plastic bag floating in the water off Pelican Harbor. Thinking it looked suspicious, the person called police.Divers and police patrols began searching the waters, and about 12:30 p.m. found a second bag with remains inside near 7899 NE Bayshore Ct.Police would not say what body parts were found, other than to say they were ``significant.''Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS or Miami homicide at 305-579-6530.