The Payola$

cageyJG

C07525A6-5162-40E6-9700-5DC83E5D749B.thumb.jpeg.5bb5b012b47f03131861e104cfccb598.jpeg

Anyone ever think about these guys? Or want to sell an album? (“Eyes of a Stranger” song from season one)

Vocalists Paul Hyde and Bob Rock formed the Payola$ with drummer Chris Taylor and bassist Larry Wilkins. After "China Boys" was released on their own Slophouse Records, A&M signed the band and released four albums from 1979 to 1985 -- In a Place Like This (1981), No Stranger to Danger (1982), Hammer on a Drum (1983), and Here's the World for Ya (1985). After breaking up in 1985, Rock and Hyde continued on, releasing a popular single in 1987 called "Dirty Water." Paul Hyde left for a solo career in 1989; Bob Rock later joined the band Rockhead. ~ John Bush, Rovi

(photo/article credit: Spotify)

• Like 1

Eyes of a stranger was originally released on the 1982 record "No stranger to danger" (and then used on the OST "Valley girl"). But the song version used in the episode is from a best-of Payolas release of A&M in 1987 (that I gladly possess). Music editor Dino Moriana just extended the instrumental intro a bit (he looped it a few times to be specific) to fit to the scene (the intro started when the scene under the bridge started, but the first lyrics line "Can I touch you to see if you´re real?" was supposed to be heard exactly when Tubbs spotted Montana and the intro is quite short in the original version)

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Eyes of a stranger was originally released on the 1982 record "No stranger to danger" (and then used on the OST "Valley girl"). But the song version used in the episode is from a best-of Payolas release of A&M in 1987 (that I gladly possess). Music editor Dino Moriana just extended the instrumental intro a bit (he looped it a few times to be specific) to fit to the scene (the intro started when the scene under the bridge started, but the first lyrics line "Can I touch you to see if you´re real?" was supposed to be heard exactly when Tubbs spotted Montana and the intro is quite short in the original version)

I think I really need to grab a hold of that album. I tried looking around on YouTube to see if there were more songs that had the same mood and overall great composition, but I could only find maybe two or three and they were all kinda love songs, unfortunately a bit of a turn off.

• Like 1

vor 27 Minuten schrieb cageyJG:

I think I really need to grab a hold of that album. I tried looking around on YouTube to see if there were more songs that had the same mood and overall great composition, but I could only find maybe two or three and they were all kinda love songs, unfortunately a bit of a turn off.

Pics of the 1987 A&M best-of (CD version) attached for your reference.

video: 

and band playing it live: 

IMG_7263.JPG

IMG_7264.JPG

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
vor 16 Stunden schrieb cageyJG:

Super high quality posts, Tom, thanks a lot man!

No prob. You´re welcome! That´s what the site is for....

The two pics of Payola$ 1987-best of CD are from my private collection BTW. The version heard on TV has a distinctive intro (even extended by the music editor Dino Moriana by looping for as long as the arrival at the scene takes) and the original one on the 1982 album has a very short one. Also there are no crackles to be heard that would normally be heard on an old vinyl version used. So I wondered if they used a different version than the 1982 original and found that 1987 CD with a much longer version of the song (4:54 as opposed as to 3:23). Thus, I conclude they used the CD version.