Rolling Stone top-100 all time Greatest TV Shows. No Miami Vice

apocalypse

No Miami Vice on the list? Wow that's amazing. The show that was really defined the whole eighties, strongly influenced men's fashion... and rewrote the whole cop show genre, really.

It was larger than life back then. Yet Rolling Stone doesn't even put it to their top-100. That's quite ridiculous.

Rolling Stone is a joke.

Edited by apocalypse
  • Like 3

• apocalypse changed the title to Rolling Stone top-100 all time Greatest TV Shows. No Miami Vice

Rolling Stone has been a joke for many, many years. Mixing cable and network is ridiculous to begin with...the standards are still quite different for each.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, apocalypse said:
No Miami Vice on the list? Wow that's amazing. The show that was really defined the whole eighties, strongly influenced men's fashion... and rewrote the whole cop show genre, really.

It was larger than life back then. Yet Rolling Stone doesn't even put it to their top-100. That's quite ridiculous.

Rolling Stone is a joke.

And The Rolling Stones even had a song on the pilot!! :p

• Haha 3

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

And The Rolling Stones even had a song on the pilot!! :p

Yep, it’s title „miss you“ is a perfect fit for not considering THE 80s defining show in a top 100 shows list „of all time“ but including Squid game, a show that just started recently and has not even seen a second season. This logic is beyond me. :birdie:

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Let’s shut it down guys. I’m selling all my synthesizers and never watching the show again. :) 

I‘m selling my Rolling Stones Collection and I swear I‘m never gonna read this pamphlet again! :p

• Haha 3

Even if you weren't a fan of the show, you can't deny it's popularity and influence.  I loathed "Dawson's Creek" in high school (can't say I ever really watched it), but I can't deny it's influence over my female classmates.  Makes me think someone associated with Vice said something inappropriate 35 years ago that upset a young employee from Rolling Stone.

• Like 1

Also, let’s not forget DJ and PMT were on the cover of the magazine in 1985! How many shows on that list were on the cover?? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Even if you weren't a fan of the show, you can't deny it's popularity and influence.  I loathed "Dawson's Creek" in high school (can't say I ever really watched it), but I can't deny it's influence over my female classmates.  Makes me think someone associated with Vice said something inappropriate 35 years ago that upset a young employee from Rolling Stone.

I think they suffer from two big things: following fads and pandering to the crowd (aside from undiagnosed traumatic brain injuries that have been impacting their cognitive abilities for years). My pet peeve on that list (in addition to the lack of Vice) is where they put The Shield. That show MADE FX. It was good enough to beat out The Sopranos in the Emmys one year, and it was made with all the restrictions network (even if FX was basic cable) shows faced back then. It was doing the same thing The Wire did, but with more limits. They buried Justified as well, which is another great show with amazing continuity (and involved Elmore Leonard, FFS). There's also an obvious show runner bias...anything made by some people is going to be on there no matter how bad it is.

I suppose we should just be glad nothing by Dick Wolf ended up on there. And don't get me started about how low they ranked things like The Muppet Show. And no Gunsmoke? Seriously? It redefined the television Western and actually tackled some themes that were pretty edgy for the 1950s and 1960s.

• Like 3

The irony, this wonderful, groundbreaking show inspired so many.

"The Sopranos" in at number 1 sums it up, yes good show but it has zero originality and is derivative, David Chase was basically observing all of Scorsese films when he was making it.

Seinfeld in the top 10? is that show supposed to be funny, terrible show and Jerry's standup is even worse.

My opinion shows with originally are the greatest - "The Twilight Zone" "Miami Vice" "Twin Peaks" "X-Files" "Columbo" "Cheers" and Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner" etc, like wow this is different.

Edited by RedDragon86
Spelling
  • Like 1

This is all of course completely subjective and differing opinions are meaningless in that respect.  I personally find that such lists typically are more reflective of the lived experiences of the writers more than anything else.  

As I have aged and entered my 50’s, I don’t expect someone younger to fully understand the impact or gravitas of an event (or show like Miami Vice) the same way as I do.  They can read about and comprehend its importance but it is simply not the same as experiencing it.

I could say the same as a history teacher that, while I may understand the impact of Kennedy’s assassination or the attack on Pearl Harbor had for example, I didn’t experience it in the same way as older people who lived through it.

The individuals creating these lists are likely younger than myself and becoming more so as I age.  They certainly are better writers than myself, but their opinions are still interesting even if I disagree.  I find no reason to be upset about those differing views.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

The challenge lies in the fact that these lists are usually presented as definitive rather than objective. You'll also notice this list was determined in large part by voters, many of whom are over 50 (so it's not just one person's list). I found the original list (https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/100-greatest-tv-shows-of-all-time-105998/thirtysomething-108787/) a bit more interesting in that it included both Gunsmoke and In Living Color (a major oversight in the new list, IMO). And it is kind of interesting to see which shows stayed (The Shield was in both). Although I fail to see how Seinfeld outdid something like The Bob Newhart Show or All in the Family in both lists. While the list may reflect a certain level of lived experience, to make the claim of being anything of all time historical and cultural impact needs to be taken into account as well. Vice had cultural impact, especially in how television was filmed. I don't think we would have seen camera work like was used in Hawaii Five-0, for example, without Vice.

I'd put far more stock in a list put forward by an outlet specializing in television or incorporating actual critical opinion. As it is, this is typical Rolling Stone junk. About as relevant, as Mr. Vigilante points out above, as the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

• Like 1

I’m not surprised coming from Rolling Stone. What do they say, either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain. 
It’s the greatest cop show of all time imo and one of the greatest pioneering tv shows of all time. No one can change history but it looks like Rolling Stone want to rewrite it. Vice will only age even more like a fine wine over the next 30 years. Especially the first two seasons. The further we get away from the 80s and enter a new technological age, the more we will yearn for nostalgia like this. 

4 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

The challenge lies in the fact that these lists are usually presented as definitive rather than objective. You'll also notice this list was determined in large part by voters, many of whom are over 50 (so it's not just one person's list)…

I'd put far more stock in a list put forward by an outlet specializing in television or incorporating actual critical opinion. As it is, this is typical Rolling Stone junk. About as relevant, as Mr. Vigilante points out above, as the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame.

I agree that these lists are typically taken and generally presented as definitive.  That was the original point that I was trying to make.  I remember reading the original that you linked.

I did find out that the list was compiled using surveys they sent out and totaled just 46 returned. However, they were from people in the industry, producers, directors, writers, actors, critics, creators, editors, etc... and a few other journalists.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/best-tv-shows-all-time-voters-1234599937/

I’m just sometimes surprised how passionate people are about their favorites of whatever it may be.  I know I’m not that way and it’s very intriguing to me to read the responses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I agree that these lists are typically taken and generally presented as definitive.  That was the original point that I was trying to make.  I remember reading the original that you linked.

I did find out that the list was compiled using surveys they sent out and totaled just 46 returned. However, they were from people in the industry, producers, directors, writers, actors, critics, creators, editors, etc... and a few other journalists.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/best-tv-shows-all-time-voters-1234599937/

I’m just sometimes surprised how passionate people are about their favorites of whatever it may be.  I know I’m not that way and it’s very intriguing to me to read the responses.

I look at it more in terms of relative significance, honestly. They missed some shows that were very significant and included others that smack more of pandering to particular sensibilities.

And given the nature of this site, people being passionate about their favorite shouldn't surprise you much...:) Frankly, Vice could have been on either list based on its visual impact alone...it did change how television looked. I have yet to see a critic disagree with that assessment. But Rolling Stone isn't necessarily interested in that, just like their actual music coverage has degraded over the years.

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

I look at it more in terms of relative significance, honestly. They missed some shows that were very significant and included others that smack more of pandering to particular sensibilities.

And given the nature of this site, people being passionate about their favorite shouldn't surprise you much...:) Frankly, Vice could have been on either list based on its visual impact alone...it did change how television looked. I have yet to see a critic disagree with that assessment. But Rolling Stone isn't necessarily interested in that, just like their actual music coverage has degraded over the years.

I do realize that a forum like this, or for many other topics really, elicits people’s passions, I just don’t seem to share a similar level.  It’s then interesting to read people’s responses to other views of the series.  It’s not really a criticism, but more of an intriguing observation of fandom, I think.  

I look at this list and think that this is opinion.  We all have that.  Some of these show I have never heard of.  Others I enjoyed.  Honestly don't know how Miami Vice never made this list. It was extremely influential for style of filming, fashion and music. Maybe the writer(s) of this article never watched an episode.