Hurricanes in Florida

jpaul1

you know i'm european, and i often hear stories of hurricanes in Florida, but i never see pics apart one or two quickly on TV. i think it could be cool/interesting if locals posted personal pics of these events. At least personnally i would be highly interested. even quick shots from gone shopping, or from work would be cool

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb jpaul1:

you know i'm european, and i often hear stories of hurricanes in Florida, but i never see pics apart one or two quickly on TV. i think it could be cool/interesting if locals posted personal pics of these events. At least personnally i would be highly interested. even quick shots from gone shopping, or from work would be cool

I am European by origin and I escaped from category 5 Hurricane Andrew in 1992 (270+kmh winds) and I can tell you that I have no single picture of it. 1) it was too dangerous to stay in the danger zone to make pics or videos 2) I simply had other things on my mind back then, i.e. how to save me, my friends and all my belongings.

I can share a few of my personal experience, maybe you then understand that such a hurricane is unimaginable for people outside the tropics and your request unimaginable for people personally affected by such a hurricane...?

• When I left Miami to flee up north, there was a 100 mile traffic jam on the I95, as 1.5m people wanted to escape. People ran out of gas, even the McDonalds along the route were sold out and closed
  • I met another Austrian at the airport in Orlando who survived Andrew on the Bahamas and wanted to make exactly what asked for ("cool/interesting personal pics") on the balcony of his hotel apartment. He tied himself to the door like a safety belt and faced the hurricane on purpose with his camera instead of fleeing with others to a shelter. The hurricane knocked him over unconscious, banging with his head onto the door frame he was tied to and smashed his camera that got lost. He was found and saved by others who risked their lives to save him
  • All the Floridians who had told me 1-2 days before the hurricane hit Miami that they will stay and don´t give a damn ("this is not the first hurricane for us") ran like rabbits when the sh.t hit the fan and they lost lots of their belongings, because they did not take this seriously.

Bottom line: no offense and I don´t wish you the same experience I had, but on the other hand: if you had experienced a hurricane yourself already, You would not have requested what you have requested. World needs more helpers against hurricane damage or hurricane root causes, not sensation fixated bystanders asking for pics and videos.

• Like 2

I agre, Tom. It's like the people who chase tornadoes looking for that "cool shot" or "great video," or the morons who fly drones near or over forest fires (grounding fire suppression aircraft) looking for the same thing. All they tend to do at the end of the day is endanger others. I've lived in both high tornado areas and regions where wildfires are a constant danger, and I can tell you people like the ones I mentioned aren't looked on with favor. No offense to anyone, but that's just how it is.

so in other words what you're trying to say is that during an hurricane the good behavior is or to flee away, or to seek refuge in a dedicated public area bunker. but certainly not to put a nose outside. However i'm not interersted in sensational. my post included every stage of the storm. not necessarilly royal palm being unrooted in front of you footages. for example i saw pictures of sharked roaming flooded streets. every image about hurricanes in Florida interest me

Charlie Glide (Jeremy) who lives in Ft. Myers Fla posted:  "Very lucky here, an island of relative un-harm surrounded by total devastation. In a week there won't be a car for sale at any dealership as thousands were flooded away." 

Yours truly:  We are OK, just minor damage but no power, internet etc running on generator, a telephone pole came down in our area. Could be on generator for a while. Tree in neighbors yard, roof held but suffered damage, lost part of fence. Using the WiFi at my daughters house in Wesley Chapel. We were lucky in Bradenton, gas was a major problem but got some.  This hurricane was huge, we were about 40 miles north of the eye wall (where highest winds were) but still got a few 100mph+ wind gusts.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Charlie Glide (Jeremy) who lives in Ft. Myers Fla posted:  "Very lucky here, an island of relative un-harm surrounded by total devastation. In a week there won't be a car for sale at any dealership as thousands were flooded away." 

Yours truly:  We are OK, just minor damage but no power, internet etc running on generator, a telephone pole came down in our area. Could be on generator for a while. Tree in neighbors yard, roof held but suffered damage, lost part of fence. Using the WiFi at my daughters house in Wesley Chapel. We were lucky in Bradenton, gas was a major problem but got some.  This hurricane was huge, we were about 40 miles north of the eye wall (where highest winds were) but still got a few 100mph+ wind gusts.

Good to hear that Jeremy got out unscathed. Down in Ft. Myers Beach they weren't so lucky. That place looks like it's been hit by a nuclear bomb. The first couple rows of houses facing towards the ocean simply got blown away unless they were bricks or concrete. The vacation cottages we stayed at eight years ago...there's basically no trace of them. Just a lonely swimming pool in an empty lot. Crazy.

@jpaul1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb daytona365:

Good to hear that Jeremy got out unscathed. Down in Ft. Myers Beach they weren't so lucky. That place looks like it's been hit by a nuclear bomb. The first couple rows of houses facing towards the ocean simply got blown away unless they were bricks or concrete. The vacation cottages we stayed at eight years ago...there's basically no trace of them. Just a lonely swimming pool in an empty lot. Crazy.

@jpaul1

I hope this video is "cool/interesting" enough for @jpaul1although it is not a personal video from a local, but "only" from a webcam mounted on a street pole that filmed until it went out due to water leakage ?(

4.5 m surge video from another mounted camera in Ft Myers. Watch the three palm trees to the left to compare the flood level. Scary.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not a sensationalist person, but since my thrillers are set in an area (not unlike Florida :)) that also experiences such severe storms, I watched the video virtually for study purposes. It is scary.:hot:
@Jim: I'm glad to hear that you and your family made it through the storm that just blew over you in one piece.
As for the sensationalism, I think it's terrible too. this doesn't just apply to natural disasters, after all, but also to paramedic rescue missions. It's absolutely unbelievable what some people do to get photos.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Christine said:

It is scary.:hot:

really scary. in western europe we don't realize how monstruous these things are

• Like 1

Even our storms are getting more and more worse. In places where there are bodies of water, massive flooding does occur during such storms, but of course it can't be compared to such a tropical storm.
@Tom: Your description of your escape from storm Andrew was very impressive for me. I think, however, these are experiences that one would gladly do without.

• Like 1

totally Christine. even though we have our batch of disasters too. in France last summer was really bad in term of wildfires. with more than 20 000 ha of forest gone to smoke. France owns tropical territories too, but by chance we aren't hit by such phenomenoms. at least not as often as floridians. Florida hurricanes look like nuclear attacks. the surge shown in Tom's video, it's really impressive. I have an immense respect for the ancient indians, who used to face these monsters with nothing else than their courage

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

This shows how close we were in Bradenton.  The eye came ashore heading ENE just N of Ft. Myers Shore.

266426094_Closetoeyewall.JPG.72ff5d19fd16dd912e01e2920ce0b7d6.JPG

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

We were very lucky in New Port Richey which is north of Tampa. We got rain and wind that only blew down small branches. There was no flooding! Some people lost power for a few hours but our house was O.K.!

• Like 4

vor 14 Stunden schrieb miamijimf:

This was such a huge storm evan Miami was affected. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjT9YD5leAw

Yes, these scenes were from South pointe pier that was flooded over. That’s why City of Miami have built some natural walls against flooding on Ocean Drive. Lummus Park that was once completely flat between the Drive and the beach has now a natural 3-4 foot grass elevation next to Ocean Drive sidewalk to keep water away for sometime at least. With the remote effects of Ian that worked.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...