Roleplaying Driving Scenes

Joe81

Go on, admit it - we've all done it, or wished we had.

The musically driven Miami Vice driving scenes are some of the most iconic moments of the show, and they are throughout all of the seasons.  Just imagine the moments - Crockett driving along to a pumping 80s track while the camera shows him behind his wayfarers in his rear-view mirror, concentrating, brooding, thinking about what has happened and what is possibly to come.  

We can weave this feel and these moments into our own lives and experiences, and I personally make virtually every driving venture a MV-inspired moment.  I'm not trying to be Crockett exactly, but I am trying to enmesh the feel of the show into my own life - and it really works.  As such I always really enjoy and look forward to driving - even if it's just to pop up to the shop to buy some milk.

Some things will be almost a necessity to really bring that feel to your curated, custom-made driving scenes.  A pair of Wayfarers, (or similar MV glasses, which will call for periodic brief checks-of-reflection in your rear-view mirror) a pair of espadrilles, a clean car (interior and exterior), the aroma of Jean Patou in your nose as you casually glance to the coast and see the sun setting behind the palms... and let's not forget the music.

While I love the driving scene songs from the show (Blood Money, The Edge of Town, Don't Play with Love etc) the songs you use don't necessarily need to be those.  There are a heap of great Retro-wave/Synth-pop songs made in the present day, that have genuinely encapsulated the feel of the MV driving scene.  I can even tell many of these artists derive much of their inspiration from MV moments.  For example there's a song called 'Crockett's Revenge' by The Midnight, and I've loved it for ages, and since I've only recently watched MV for the first time, I didn't know exactly what revenge the song was referring to.  Now I realize it most likely relates to Crockett's killing of Frank Hackman.  You can imagine Sonny listening to this song while en route to killing him, thinking about Caitlin and the long pent-up rage he had held for the individual who took it all from him.  It's a slow, instrumental 80s-sounding sax song - which seems to breed absolute pensiveness in the listener - reflecting both the thoughtful sadness and hateful sentiments Crockett would have been experiencing at that exact time of contemplating revenge.

If anyone is interested, I have a publicly listed Spotify playlist called 'Alternate 80s' that is mostly modern Retro-wave but with a sprinkle of actual 80s songs - including a few actual MV (and MV driving scene) songs.  This is the playlist that plays 95% of the time while I'm driving.  Go through some of the song titles and see if you can spot the references to MV (Kelly, Miami Nice, Crockett's Revenge, Vice etc)

I have an Alpine stereo system with an underseat subwoofer, and whilst not absolutely necessary it really does help with 'the feel'.  It cost 3-large for everything and it was money well spent.

Admittedly I don't drive a Ferrari like some lucky members of this forum.  I drive a 2010 Forester - but it's a nice, well kept luxury one with leather interior - and I wax it weekly so it always has 'that look'.  

Forester.thumb.jpg.aff48349d9cbbcfcf6f3d6a1a23ec1d6.jpg

Edited by Joe81
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Joe81 said:

Go on, admit it - we've all done it, or wished we had.

The musically driven Miami Vice driving scenes are some of the most iconic moments of the show, and they are throughout all of the seasons.  Just imagine the moments - Crockett driving along to a pumping 80s track while the camera shows him behind his wayfarers in his rear-view mirror, concentrating, brooding, thinking about what has happened and what is possibly to come.  

We can weave this feel and these moments into our own lives and experiences, and I personally make virtually every driving venture a MV-inspired moment.  I'm not trying to be Crockett exactly, but I am trying to enmesh the feel of the show into my own life - and it really works.  As such I always really enjoy and look forward to driving - even if it's just to pop up to the shop to buy some milk.

Some things will be almost a necessity to really bring that feel to your curated, custom-made driving scenes.  A pair of Wayfarers, (or similar MV glasses, which will call for periodic brief checks-of-reflection in your rear-view mirror) a pair of espadrilles, a clean car (interior and exterior), the aroma of Jean Patou in your nose as you casually glance to the coast and see the sun setting behind the palms... and let's not forget the music.

While I love the driving scene songs from the show (Blood Money, The Edge of Town, Don't Play with Love etc) the songs you use don't necessarily need to be those.  There are a heap of great Retro-wave/Synth-pop songs made in the present day, that have genuinely encapsulated the feel of the MV driving scene.  I can even tell many of these artists derive much of their inspiration from MV moments.  For example there's a song called 'Crockett's Revenge' by The Midnight, and I've loved it for ages, and since I've only recently watched MV for the first time, I didn't know exactly what revenge the song was referring to.  Now I realize it most likely relates to Crockett's killing of Frank Hackman.  You can imagine Sonny listening to this song while en route to killing him, thinking about Caitlin and the long pent-up rage he had held for the individual who took it all from him.  It's a slow, instrumental 80s-sounding sax song - which seems to breed absolute pensiveness in the listener - reflecting both the thoughtful sadness and hateful sentiments Crockett would have been experiencing at that exact time of contemplating revenge.

If anyone is interested, I have a publicly listed Spotify playlist called 'Alternate 80s' that is mostly modern Retro-wave but with a sprinkle of actual 80s songs - including a few actual MV (and MV driving scene) songs.  This is the playlist that plays 95% of the time while I'm driving.  Go through some of the song titles and see if you can spot the references to MV (Kelly, Miami Nice, Crockett's Revenge, Vice etc)

I have an Alpine stereo system with an underseat subwoofer, and whilst not absolutely necessary it really does help with 'the feel'.  It cost 3-large for everything and it was money well spent.

Admittedly I don't drive a Ferrari like some lucky members of this forum.  I drive a 2010 Forester - but it's a nice, well kept luxury one with leather interior - and I wax it weekly so it always has 'that look'.  

Forester.thumb.jpg.aff48349d9cbbcfcf6f3d6a1a23ec1d6.jpg

Love the photo and the number plate!

Great post, Joe81.

No matter how cool I try to look while driving, my mind is always so scattered and I feel like Ray Liotta driving while coked out of his mind in that wild sequence in GoodFellas.

image.gif.e5be6dd7d873a8aa8ee65707a22fc0bb.gif