Favorite Film Scores

Dadrian

We can kill it if it’s already been done. ?(

I’ll start off a little off-beat (pun-intended) with “Birdman”. Fantastic film with equally fantastic score by the one and only Brian Blade. 

Imagine being solely tasked with scoring an entire film with only a drum set—and totally knocking it (another pun-intended) out of the park!

Some of you may know my actual musical identity is rooted in traditional jazz as a bassist, so this score was complete nirvana for me. :fireworks:

• Like 5

My favorite three are:

The Last Temptation of Christ by Peter Gabriel

The Piano by Michael Nyman

Traffic by Cliff Martinez

• Like 4

I enjoy The Piano score as well, and would add Simon Wincer’s Quigley Down Under.  I’ll have to think more on this one.

Edit:

I always found Jerry Goldsmith’s score for Planet of the Apes very interesting.  He also did Chinatown, which I love, though more visually as a neo-noir film than for its score.  I remember the 90’s film Rudy which has very uplifting music in the finale.  On TV, he created the very distinct theme for the 70’s series Police Story.  He did so much!

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Elliot Goldenthal score in "Heat" is amazing.

YES ... a BIG YES ... The "various artists" album is also great ... 

Anyway, it is in my TOP 3 movies. 

Elliot Goldenthal is a great composer. It is a shame we don't call him more often for composing movies soundtracks.

• Like 4

• Administrators

“Blade Runner” by the late Vangelis.  Also almost anything by Hans Zimmer

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

“Blade Runner” by the late Vangelis.  Also almost anything by Hans Zimmer

I second you @Ferrariman ...

About Hans Zimmer, I most like his early works  in the 80's and 90's ... 

• Like 4

Uhh you guys started this topic with also some of my favorites.

Thanks @Vincent Hanna for mentioning Broken Arrow this early since that is might an under the radar for most, but I agree that is Absolutely Essential  :D :D I was listening that a lot myself too. :)

I have to think about my top 10 but Broken arrow by Hanz Zimmer would be amongst them !

I will start this off with songs that are close to my heart as art pieces.

My top 3 songs off Sorcerer OST are : Search - Grind - Betrayal

I could go on with other Movie scores, but I will let others to say out their favorites :)

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

One of the first pieces I leaned on piano:

I had not heard that piece nor have I seen that movie. I will give it a watch this weekend.

11 hours ago, OCBman said:

I had not heard that piece nor have I seen that movie. I will give it a watch this weekend.

I don’t know who scored the original Sabrina, but the first version with Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, and Bill Holden is a better film.  

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I don’t know who scored the original Sabrina, but the first version with Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, and Bill Holden is a better film.  

I like it too, but somehow I enjoyed the newer one more. 

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

I like it too, but somehow I enjoyed the newer one more. 

That’s cool.  Everybody’s entitled to a wrong opinion. :p:)

I love that comment! 

Seriously, I get it, especially if that was the first music you learned to play on the piano.  My wife plays piano, guitar, and clarinet, and I sometimes tease her because, according to her, Hot Cross Buns was her first tune.  She’s very musically talented as I’m sure you are too.  Me, I play the radio best. :dance2:

Edited by pahonu
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pahonu said:

That’s cool.  Everybody’s entitled to a wrong opinion. :p:)

I love that comment! 

Seriously, I get it, especially if that was the first music you learned to play on the piano.  My wife plays piano, guitar, and clarinet, and I sometimes tease her because, according to her, Hot Cross Buns was her first tune.  She’s very musically talented as I’m sure you are too.  Me, I play the radio best. :dance2:

It’s mainly because I like Harrison Ford, John Williams, 80s/90s Ferraris, and the Sting song during the end credits. None of those were in the original. :) 

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2022 at 5:18 PM, Vicefan7777 said:

From my all time favorite film.

I actually prefer For a Few Dollars More...both the movie and the score. The pocket watch is classic, and Morricone worked it into the score perfectly.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 2:18 PM, jpaul1 said:

love that song a lot. maybe the best Bond score to me

i watched Moonraker for the first in ages the other day, always thinking it was one of the lesser films but the music is magnificent.

• Like 1