Craziest Mercedes-Benz collector ever

apocalypse

I just found this channel. I heard the guy sold his companies to Nestle and made something like a billion dollars. Not sure about this but this is what someone wrote in another forum.

As a huge old Merc fan I gotta appreciate what this guy is doing. He loves rare old Mercs and now that he has money... well.. he buys them. If I understood correctly the guy owns 300 Mercedes-Benzes. Nothing is for sale. Some really, really rare AMG, Koenig, Brabus and Carlson Benzes. Many models that have been used in Miami Vice and the guy makes several references to MV in many of his videos.

He buys cars every day. Absolutely nuts. But I love it.

Edited by apocalypse
  • Like 1

I never really understood the Mercedes hype until I got the one we have now (2017 GLS 550 AMG - yes black :) )

I still my my car though. ;(

• Like 1

If I had the money I would probably purchase 20-30 different cars to drive but from diff. manufacturers. I would buy a Mercedes of course.(In fact I also own an r129) An R129 SL60 AMG would make it. But I would rather fish from different manufacturers to gather different riding feel and different experience. So in that sense I dont get what this person does. There are a lot more interesting cars out there from this era to buy. Corvette C4 ZR1, Lotus Esprit S3,S4, Honda NSX from the early 90s, Porsche 993 or 964 or a 928 GTS manual, we could go on mentioning a lot of exotics like Aston Martin Virage,Vantage from 1993 or 1994 or a Lamborghini Diablo, of course the Testarossa. ETC. I totally agree Mercs are a great great cars(well engineered, durable technology, great performance) but from this era what are really interesting engine wise are the M119 and M120 maybe a cosworth 2.5-16V in the 190e or an M117 being built by AMG into those Hammers. But I don't get why a car lover want to own lets say 20pieces of M119. Nonsense. And that is for sure he is not servicing these, most of the cars are just stored there and were bought just because of the bodykit or the color. Cars are meant to be driven, at least 800-1000 miles per year is necessary to preserve everything inside and of course regular fluid changes also required.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

pretty sure wealthy people who start cars collections do it at least as much for the tax evading than for the passion. I live in a region where there are lot of wealthy people, i often cross very rare cars (old Bugattis, 250 GTO..). once i saw a guy doing his shopping at Lidl in a 250 GTO. don't know if LIDL exist in the US. but it's a hard discount chain

regarding Mercedes they are good cars. Even though i think german cars reputation is overmade. Mercedes had always been a galaxy ahead in term of safety though. but they have as much failures as other brands. except that in their case the bill is often salty

this being said i use a bicycle to go to work. i don't own any car. I just rent one from time to time when i need it. But if i ever had to buy a car some day, it would be a 1984 500 SEC

• Like 2