Knight Rider: 40th Anniversary Uncut Blu-ray Set!

ViceFanMan

This may be long, but I’ve broken it up into hopefully easy to read paragraphs. This is regarding another of my all-time favorite shows growing up (besides Miami Vice, Dukes of Hazzard, Magnum p.i., Hunter, etc...) and a special new Blu-ray set with uncut/unedited episodes for the first time since it aired—KNIGHT RIDER!

KR was almost as iconic to the 80s as MV...but with advancement in technology & computers (at the time ;)), rather than fashion & color. It was also sometimes “cheesy”, and kid/family friendly...but, like “Dukes” that was part of its charm. I have cheesy/goofy moments with family, friends, and co-workers usually everyday in some way...life isn’t all “dark” & serious. :p

Anyway, I did not know about this until just the past couple weeks, but I guess in the past few months a German company, Turbine, put out an all new KR 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set...that besides the original 1982-1986 show, also includes almost the entire KR franchise (the 1991 sequel TV movie Knight Rider 2000—which I’ve never really cared for but hey...I’ll take it, another series in the 90s called Team Knight Rider—which other than the title basically has nothing to do with the original series...but, again it’s cool it’s included, as well as a movie from 1994 called Knight Rider 2010—which I don’t remember or know much about?)! However, the 2008 remake series is not included, but that’s not a problem for me...it missed the mark & I wasn’t a huge fan.

But, the most amazing aspects to this new Blu-ray set are:

Somehow Turbine was able to get Universal to allow them access to the original NBC airings of Knight Rider...UNCUT & UNEDITED!! All the reruns in years past, as well as Universal’s own original season DVD sets, and the Mill Creek/Fabulous Films/Elephant Films Blu-ray sets, used syndicated versions...meaning they are edited/cut episodes in some way. MV we already knew about...but unbeknownst to many fans at the time, I’m starting to discover that Universal used syndicated reruns for a lot or most of their older shows when first releasing them to DVD. :o These versions are then what they’ve made available to other companies/countries as well...till now with KR!

It’s now been learned that original airings of KR still existed, and Turbine was given them to restore to the most amazing Blu-ray quality for an older TV show I’ve seen so far!! :glossy:Also, some popular songs at the time were used in KR (including some Prince songs: “Little Red Corvette” & “When Doves Cry”), but because of the cost of renewing music rights, those few songs were either switched out for cheaper songs, or cut out altogether, for reruns on cable networks in the 90s & early 2000s—and the DVD & previous Blu-ray releases...and in the scenes someone is either dancing or doing something to silence. Which of course looks kind of silly.

But, for the first time ever since the show originally aired from 1982-1986, this new anniversary Blu-ray set has the complete series totally restored uncut/unedited & with all the original music included!! :radio: Also, the amount of special features & memorabilia items included (interviews, documentaries, sound effects, KITT cockpit designs, multiple art cards of cast and other show related items, replicas of Michael Knight’s government ID/driver’s license/registration to KITT/social security card, at least 2 posters, complete franchise booklet—however, that is in German, and much more...) are off the charts! :dance2:

There’s an amazing, professional YouTube video review of this set, that I am including the link for (at the bottom), that greatly goes into more detail & even shows comparisons of how improved the Blu-ray quality is even over Mill Creek’s original Blu-ray set a few years ago. If you loved this show, and are interested in this set, I highly recommend watching the video...it’s very informative & really cool! :clap:

In that video the guy ironically (to me anyway) mentions the 2008 Universal fire briefly (which has also been one “theory” regarding why original airings of MV may not be available anymore)...but that Universal still had the original camera negatives (if I’m remembering the correct terminology...I’m not a techie) of KR. However, I’m adding that Universal executives also stated that “for the movies & TV shows destroyed in that fire...they still had digital backups for everything stored at a different location, and that everything could be replaced if needed—nothing was lost forever” (and those were direct quotes)!

The 08 fire even has its own Wikipedia page concerning it. If you look at what was lost “permanently” in that fire, it’s all mostly music recordings & tapes from the original artists. So, I’m wondering if original airings of MV could very well possibly still exist?

If so, then I hope & pray that Turbine will acquire those from Universal at some point...and give MV the same treatment it did KR! If original uncut/unedited NBC airing episodes of MV (like KR, not seen since the show originally aired), were completely restored with Turbine’s methods, & released to Blu-ray, that would be the ultimate set of MV to have!! I would pay the money for original uncut airings & that amazing of Blu-ray quality!

Now, Mill Creek has made some very good Blu-ray releases of older shows in the past...including MV, KR, Charlie’s Angels, Magnum p.i., etc... However, Turbine is superb with what they do, and the quality of this KR set is beyond anything I’ve seen so far! Like KR, I know other countries/companies have also put out DVD & Blu-ray sets of MV (including Fabulous Films, Koch/Plaion, Elephant Films, etc...), but all of them are the same syndicated versions, and sometimes the colors and/or audio are “off” in different ways.

If Turbine could get a hold of original uncut MV episodes, give it the same special Blu-ray treatment as KR & other things, it would be an MV dream come true, in my opinion...and in less than 2 years it will be MV’s 40th anniversary!  But, that’s probably a pipe-dream that may never come-about. However, I didn’t know Turbine got a hold of original airings of KR from Universal this past year, until the past couple weeks (set was released a few months ago, in the fall of 2022, to commemorate the the 40th anniversary of KR’s premiere in the fall of 1982)...so if MV original airings still exist, you never know! :baby:

Now, another amazing aspect about this KR 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set is...it’s REGION FREE! Even though Turbine is a German company, this set can be shipped & viewed anywhere world wide! From what I understand, you don’t need a region free Blu-ray player (although I have one). This set has both the original English audio, as well as a re-dubbed German one—you can choose which one from the menus. Now, the menus are also in German...but, they’re actually pretty easy to navigate (as it’s mainly the episode titles in German—and they’re even numbered), as once you learn what certain words are & some are similar enough to English, that it’s fairly obvious what they mean. :funky:

There are also subtitle options for both English & German, which is nice...and putting the season cases together (either on the fronts or spines/sides) puts together & displays KITT—which is superb! But, I’m not gonna lie...the set itself is not exactly cheap, but ordering directly from Turbine’s website (and they accept almost all forms of online payment—including PayPal), and considering the amount of programming, the quality of the programming, special features, and memorabilia included, it’s not that insanely priced.

Turbine’s website is: turbine-shop.de. It will give you the option of translating the site to English if needed. Some sets are for sale on sites like eBay, and you may get those quicker because they’re in-country, but they are more than likely going to be a lot more expensive as the seller has to make a profit of what they have already spent.

I’ve gone on & on about this, but for a huge diehard fan of KR, this is a dream come true! :thumbsup: I wish all of my favorite older shows (especially MV) could get this treatment & release! The link for the YouTube review video that I mentioned before (which delves into much more informative details & info than me—and also includes Turbine’s website link) is below: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

Here are a few pics to go along with my above post—the first one of the front of the Turbine set:

26F5280E-5EF0-49B6-92F2-5737B4F829F2.jpeg.1f8b5f4a33dc51668b54b5783e0326fe.jpeg

40th Anniversary Blu-ray set by Turbine

0A82FD52-AAE7-4E3F-83E6-21C09CA304E3.jpeg

3392A8CA-8876-4F15-AA68-7E7521E2B7CE.jpeg

CC2AF8BD-687C-4A92-96C8-83A71EFFB9E3.jpeg

0553E639-E163-48DB-BFD4-443C4BBCCF06.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Wow, very impressive!

It truly is...I’ve not seen any TV show Blu-ray release this amazing! However, if you didn’t like or watch KR, then I understand it won’t mean much. But, for fans it’s superb! :thumbsup:

51 minutes ago, Kladdagh said:

KR is one of my favorite shows from this era ... I checked the website and the price is HUGE !!! ... 

Like MV, I loved KR growing up, and it was one of my favorites! :thumbsup: I know the price is fairly high...but what is included in it, uncut/unedited episodes for the first time, the quality of restoration is better than anything I’ve seen so far, all the memorabilia, etc...is why it’s expensive. It’s not a budget release by any means. The box it comes in is huge, too...it’s not your typical Blu-ray series size, lol, but it’s totally worth it if you can do it! My credit card may hate me :p...but I’m loving this set!! :dance2: 

• Like 1

I saw this box set recently on the Knight Rider Historians channel as well; great item. They also recovered the screen used Semi and Trailer by the way, worth a watch!

Edited by Paul K.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Paul K. said:

I saw this box set recently on the Knight Rider Historians channel as well; great item. They also recovered the screen used Semi and Trailer by the way, worth a watch!

I started watching some of the Knight Rider Historians videos on YouTube after watching the one you posted above about the actual screen used semi being found, and one of the guys also has & has restored one of the actual KITTs used in the show!

There were 20 in all used on the series & only 5 are still in existence. 1982-1984 Pontiac Trans Ams and Firebirds were all modified to be KITT—who supposedly was a modified Trans Am himself, by the Knight Foundation. 

But, as for the new anniversary Blu-ray set...I’m gonna have to say it’s probably the BEST Blu-ray release ever I’ve seen so far!!

• Thanks 1

Oh yes, I too was a fan of this show.  I wanted a car with the powers it had and could carry on a conversation with me.  It still amazes me how blu-ray can make the colors so vibrant!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Oh yes, I too was a fan of this show.  I wanted a car with the powers it had and could carry on a conversation with me.  It still amazes me how blu-ray can make the colors so vibrant!

Absolutely agree! As for most older TV shows & movies, Blu-ray is amazing at how they can improve the colors, picture quality, and sound! However, when a show like MV specifically deals with color & that’s a huge aspect of what “makes” the show...then restoration and “improving” that can become tricky and/or an issue. You can either not do enough with the colors, or go too far & alter what the original colors were. ;)

But, Turbine Medien is awesome—like Criterion, Kino Lorber, etc...they are top of the line with Blu-ray quality & restoration! The quality of the 40th Anniversary Blu-ray set of KR is outstanding & better than anything with an older show, that I’ve seen so far...and when it’s original uncut/unedited airings, complete with original music, it’s as “perfect” as you can get!! 

I don’t know if it’d ever happen...but if Turbine could get a hold of original uncut airings of MV (original formats & titles), and do the same with them as they did KR...it’d basically be the ultimate, perfect set for MV as well! :clap: :glossy:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 2:31 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I don’t know if it’d ever happen...but if Turbine could get a hold of original uncut airings of MV (original formats & titles), and do the same with them as they did KR...it’d basically be the ultimate, perfect set for MV as well!

I pray for this to happen!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Me too, lol! 

For I loved KR before I got into MV, the latter deserves at least a just as good 40th anniversary blue ray edition!!!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

For I loved KR before I got into MV, the latter deserves at least a just as good 40th anniversary blue ray edition!!!!

Amen...absolutely agree! :dance2:

By the way, I appreciate they are two different shows from a different universe...but I've always fantasized about a MV and KR crossover. It would be interesting to see how a Sonny Crockett and Michael Knight interaction would play-out. After all, DJ and the Hoff were two major 80s male sex symbols.
I found a couple of cross fan fictions online but weren't that great to be honest.
Considering how his first meeting with Tubbs was like in the pilot, I don't think Sonny would be too thrilled to see Micheal around Miami as they cross paths :)

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

By the way, I appreciate they are two different shows from a different universe...but I've always fantasized about a MV and KR crossover. It would be interesting to see how a Sonny Crockett and Michael Knight interaction would play-out. After all, DJ and the Hoff were two major 80s male sex symbols.
I found a couple of cross fan fictions online but weren't that great to be honest.
Considering how his first meeting with Tubbs was like in the pilot, I don't think Sonny would be too thrilled to see Micheal around Miami as they cross paths :)

That would be an interesting crossover for sure...I can imagine Crockett’s reaction when he got in KITT, lol! :) But, totally two different types of shows, that I’m not sure could have pulled one off. MV (for its time) was very “dark” and more serious, whereas KR was “lighter” and more kid/family friendly. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

That would be an interesting crossover for sure...I can imagine Crockett’s reaction when he got in KITT, lol! :)

LMAO! He'd be like "are my eyes deceiving me? is there anyone in there? This is Miami pal, get out the car!"

I'd rather see K.I.T.T. meeting with Elvis, given the machine dislike for most animals!

After all, we have had episodes about raggie singer in a frozen popsicle,  UFOs and bull semen...anything is possible :)

When I have more time, I'll try and write some cross over fan fiction. Just for fun, even a short story.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

LMAO! He'd be like "are my eyes deceiving me? is there anyone in there? This is Miami pal, get out the car!"

I'd rather see K.I.T.T. meeting with Elvis, given the machine dislike for most animals!

After all, we have had episodes about raggie singer in a frozen popsicle,  UFOs and bull semen...anything is possible :)

When I have more time, I'll try and write some cross over fan fiction. Just for fun, even a short story.

This is true...popsicle dude, bull semen, and aliens that like peanut butter...maybe KITT meets Elvis isn’t a total stretch, lol! :)

However, there were a couple episodes of KR where an alligator did come out of the glades to KITT...& KITT wasn’t impressed. I could see him making something out of Crockett’s music selection (that Tubbs originally made fun of) to play to calm Elvis. :p