Switek & Zito's sting operation - ripped from the headlines?

airtommy

In "Heart of Darkness" "and "Cool Runnin", Switek & Zito are running a burglary sting operation, pretending to fence stolen goods for thieves.  This real-life 1984 Miami news report matches the details in the script so closely that it must have been the inspiration for the script writer.

• They hide a camera behind a TV screen.
  • They hang a poster of a gorgeous woman near a camera to bait the criminals into looking toward the camera.
  • Even the size and layout of the warehouse is similar.

sting1.png.e3dfb0bfae8c405f5bf733fed8da8d07.png

sting2.thumb.jpg.e66e178db947ab81b9af6ae01f55e467.jpg

sting3.thumb.jpg.f5aeb26d90cf6d1e9d0e14a9f7a90df1.jpg

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, airtommy said:

In "Heart of Darkness" "and "Cool Runnin", Switek & Zito are running a burglary sting operation, pretending to fence stolen goods for thieves.  This real-life 1984 Miami news report matches the details in the script so closely that it must have been the inspiration for the script writer.

• They hide a camera behind a TV screen.
  • They hang a poster of a gorgeous woman near a camera to bait the criminals into looking toward the camera.
  • Even the size and layout of the warehouse is similar.

sting1.png.e3dfb0bfae8c405f5bf733fed8da8d07.png

sting2.thumb.jpg.e66e178db947ab81b9af6ae01f55e467.jpg

sting3.thumb.jpg.f5aeb26d90cf6d1e9d0e14a9f7a90df1.jpg

Great observation!  I haven’t thought about ABSCAM since it happened when I was a kid.  I think that was the first time I learned what political corruption meant.  I also remember the DeLorean drug case from around the same time.  That may be when I first understood what entrapment was.  Wow, having some flashbacks to my middle school years!!!

• Like 1