Issues Posting On Cell Phone??

ViceFanMan

I just noticed this issue tonight, but for some reason when I'm on my cell phone (which is usually how I post on the site) I suddenly can't post anymore...it doesn't give me the option, nor has quoting or other options--and yes, I'm logged in. I'm posting this on a work laptop, which I can't always have with me. Is anyone else having this issue...is it some new upgrade that no longer supports my phone (as it is old in cell phone world)? Not sure what's going on, and just wondered if someone knew. 

• Administrators

I don't know what the issue is but I just want to say that I don't know how some of you do everything on a cell phone.  I have an iphone,  I can read and make posts,  but I'm an admin and there is no way to access the admin section!    Not a big deal since I do most of my online things on my laptop but it can be frustrating when I'm not at home.

3 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I don't know what the issue is but I just want to say that I don't know how some of you do everything on a cell phone.  I have an iphone,  I can read and make posts,  but I'm an admin and there is no way to access the admin section!    Not a big deal since I do most of my online things on my laptop but it can be frustrating when I'm not at home.

Believe me, I don't do everything on my cell phone...I don't know how people regularly watch TV or movies that way, and I'm not addicted like many are. But, I'm not in an office or in my house all day long (my job has me out-and-about), so posting on some sites is easier on my iPhone, than waiting until I can be on my computer. Sadly, this morning the issue has not changed...when I access the site from my iPhone I can do nothing--but look at what's already there.  I have no posting, quoting, or any other options. I'm again doing this on a computer. I don't know what the issue is?? ?(

32 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Believe me, I don't do everything on my cell phone...I don't know how people regularly watch TV or movies that way, and I'm not addicted like many are. But, I'm not in an office or in my house all day long (my job has me out-and-about), so posting on some sites is easier on my iPhone, than waiting until I can be on my computer. Sadly, this morning the issue has not changed...when I access the site from my iPhone I can do nothing--but look at what's already there.  I have no posting, quoting, or any other options. I'm again doing this on a computer. I don't know what the issue is?? ?(

I doubt if it has anything to do with the phone specifically (maybe Safari...you might try it with another browser and see if that helps). I suspect it has more to do with the "features" Invision keeps adding to the board software. I don't even bother checking on my phone anymore because it's just too much of a pain.

4 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Yeah. They totally suppressed access to the user profile at least one update ago as near as I can tell. One reason I never check the thing on my phone.

Edited by Robbie C.

12 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I doubt if it has anything to do with the phone specifically (maybe Safari...you might try it with another browser and see if that helps). I suspect it has more to do with the "features" Invision keeps adding to the board software. I don't even bother checking on my phone anymore because it's just too much of a pain.

Yeah. They totally suppressed access to the user profile at least one update ago as near as I can tell. One reason I never check the thing on my phone.

Thanks for the advice...I tried another browser and it still doesn't work. Whatever this "features invision" thing is, is not cool! :evil: I know some changes have been made over time for how things look on cell phones, but I've never had a problem with actually being able to post and/or reply. I work with troubled kids in schools, community, their homes, etc...and so I'm not in an office or behind a computer all day. The cell phone option was really convenient & awesome. I don't typically like this word, but having to wait until I'm possibly in and out of the home in the afternoons, or when I'm home for the evening to check the site is gonna...suck! :o 

34 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I haven’t seen any changes to the access from my phone.  Sorry you’re having problems.  I have a two year old iPhone 12.

I have never had any problems until last night...so I'm not sure what is going on? My iPhone is ancient in cell phone world, though...it's an iPhone 6+ that I got on sale when the 7's were brand new, LOL! :p But, I'm not a techie, and I tend to try and keep using things that I like, get used to, and work well for me...regardless if they're not the brand newest, most expensive thing currently available. ;) But, the issue is very disappointing & inconvenient. :evil:

• Like 1

• Administrators

Every time we're forced to do an upgrade we cringe.  Never fails to cause problems.   We recently lost the birthday calendar but managed to find a replacement.  It just never ends!

1 hour ago, Ferrariman said:

Every time we're forced to do an upgrade we cringe.  Never fails to cause problems.   We recently lost the birthday calendar but managed to find a replacement.  It just never ends!

Yeah. I've experienced that, too. We always wondered what they were trying to optimize, because it often wasn't the user experience...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I have never had any problems until last night...so I'm not sure what is going on? My iPhone is ancient in cell phone world, though...it's an iPhone 6+ that I got on sale when the 7's were brand new, LOL! :p But, I'm not a techie, and I tend to try and keep using things that I like, get used to, and work well for me...regardless if they're not the brand newest, most expensive thing currently available. ;) But, the issue is very disappointing & inconvenient. :evil:

I’m no techie either.  This is actually only my second iPhone ever!  I used the previous one for almost six years.  My wife jokes that I’m the opposite of an “early adopter”. :)  I figure, let everyone else work through the bugs, but there does come a time when the old tech becomes unsupported.  That usually when I jump ship!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Who decides the "upgrades"? I know sometimes things have to change, but I've always been a firm believer that the more you screw with something...the more you screw it up! ;) :p 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I’m no techie either.  This is actually only my second iPhone ever!  I used the previous one for almost six years.  My wife jokes that I’m the opposite of an “early adopter”. :)  I figure, let everyone else work through the bugs, but there does come a time when the old tech becomes unsupported.  That usually when I jump ship!  

I know...my phone is to that point where it's not supported by several things anymore, and I basically can't download any new apps. :rolleyes: I probably need to go get a new one, but I hate having to figure out how to use new phones! :evil: Plus, the new ones don't have a few things my current one does...I have to pay extra now for little devices to plug into it if I still want those. But, this is my first iPhone...before I had some other weird thing, LOL! I don't want the most expensive and brand newest one out there...it's way too expensive, and what do I want with "50" cameras? :p But, I have Straight Talk...the plan is cheap and I have unlimited everything pretty much, but how they "get" you, is you have to buy your phone upfront. So, it's mine forever, but it's always expensive! I would probably get one like yours...maybe a 12.

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Who decides the "upgrades"? I know sometimes things have to change, but I've always been a firm believer that the more you screw with something...the more you screw it up! ;) :p 

It's usually pushed out by the company that codes the message board (Invision Community in this case). The mods can correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't normally have a choice when it comes to these. They just push them out and you deal with it.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Exactly!  I’m a big believer in “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”   Unfortunately, things become obsolete or unsupported and you’re forced into the upgrade.   It happens with everything. I own a nice cordless drill that needs a new battery. Guess what,  they don’t make that battery anymore. So now I have a nice expensive paperweight!   In my opinion it’s all just a money grab!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Team, I try to hold off any upgrade as long as possible as in know inevitably, something is going to be screwed up once it's installed. Sometimes we don't have a choice. Seems there is an annual license upgrade and they push out "upgrades" throughout the year mostly for security patches and bug fixes but it never seems to fail, we get some snag and lose some kind of functionality. I don't understand the cell phone "app". It is the most useless app I've ever seen. Thankfully the iPad version is the full board and not the app as I mostly use the iPad. As Ferrariman stated above, as admins we can't do anything on the admincp on the phone app. No option to even go there on the app. Useless.

I'm not that big a fan of this forum software but the other software we used to use, vBulletin Boards, just became a money grabbing software company that really wrecked a good thing going. That's why KaeptnCaipi decided to move away from it to this software.  

Thanks for the feedback folks. It doesn't go unheard but sometimes there is no options for us and we have to do the best we can with what we have. I appreciate all the support. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferrariman said:

Exactly!  I’m a big believer in “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”   Unfortunately, things become obsolete or unsupported and you’re forced into the upgrade.   It happens with everything. I own a nice cordless drill that needs a new battery. Guess what,  they don’t make that battery anymore. So now I have a nice expensive paperweight!   In my opinion it’s all just a money grab!

I know, they purposely make things "obsolete" and refuse to support them after so long, so they can force you into spending money on new things. But...there ain't no paper getting out from under that drill-weight! :)

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, timm525 said:

Team, I try to hold off any upgrade as long as possible as in know inevitably, something is going to be screwed up once it's installed. Sometimes we don't have a choice. Seems there is an annual license upgrade and they push out "upgrades" throughout the year mostly for security patches and bug fixes but it never seems to fail, we get some snag and lose some kind of functionality. I don't understand the cell phone "app". It is the most useless app I've ever seen. Thankfully the iPad version is the full board and not the app as I mostly use the iPad. As Ferrariman stated above, as admins we can't do anything on the admincp on the phone app. No option to even go there on the app. Useless.

I'm not that big a fan of this forum software but the other software we used to use, vBulletin Boards, just became a money grabbing software company that really wrecked a good thing going. That's why KaeptnCaipi decided to move away from it to this software.  

Thanks for the feedback folks. It doesn't go unheard but sometimes there is no options for us and we have to do the best we can with what we have. I appreciate all the support. Thank you. 

I know it's no one's fault per-say that the upgrades/updates happen...most online systems have those. This site is amazing, and everyone does a superb job with administration...so I don't mean to complain. :D It was just kind of surprising & disappointing when suddenly out of nowhere I couldn't post or reply anymore...unless I get on an actual computer. 

I actually don't have nor use an app...it was just accessing the site through Google on my phone. I don't know about others & what they may or may not have experienced, but I'm thinking some update/upgrade was done sometime Thursday, and my phone is old enough the site now no longer supports my phone's older system. I can still access the site on my phone, but I have no capabilities or options (except I can still "like" a post). I also can't even see all the images & pics on the 'Home' page anymore, when I first bring it up. I guess I will just have to wait until I'm on my computer before I can post or reply. 

Thanks for the info, and thanks to you, @Ferrariman, and the other admins that help keep this site going...and to continue to be the most in-depth & amazing fan-site for a TV show I've ever been on and/or been a member of! :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timm525 said:

vBB is the software we used, and it had some of the same issues. As far as I know there isn't an "app" for this site; it's more of how the site is optimized for mobile devices. In theory you can set it to display the web version, but that doesn't work on many devices. There are some subtle differences between the iPhone iOS and iPad iOS, so I suspect that's why you can interact normally while my slightly older iPhone doesn't (and why you can't on your phone). I'm archaic enough I don't like the stripped-down stuff on phones, so I use desktop pretty much exclusively for serious stuff.

• Like 1