the legend left us

jpaul1

• Administrators

Every time I hear “What’s Love Got To Do With It”  I’m instantly brought back to the end of “Calderone’s Demise”.      Also loved her as Auntie Entity in “ Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome”.      R.I.P.  Tina ;(

• Like 8

I rented a small office in 1982, along with a high school friend and started a letter courier service in Hollywood. The office was about 2 blocks from the Capitol records building. Basically it was us picking up and delivering small packages around Hollywood. February of 1983 a guy walks in his name was John, he said he was from Capitol Records, he hands us 200-bucks and an address. The manila envelope was stamped Contract with an address on Santa Monica Blvd. not to far from us. Our instructions were to drop it off, wait 10 minutes and return with whatever we got, once we got back to our office we were to call a number and not tell a soul.

My buddy dropped it off at an office on Santa Monica Blvd, and returned. I called the number and 20 minutes later a woman arrived, gave us another 200-bucks and took the package. I asked my friend who was the person it was dropped off to, it must have been some hot shot or famous person for 200-bucks, he said some black lady working for some lawyer I guess. 

We eventually learned what we were tasked to keep so hush hush. The John was John Carter with Capitol Records, the black lady working for the attorney was actually at her attorney's office her name was Tina Turner. The package contained her contract she signed with Capitol Records to record a new album, that album was Private Dancer. John used us quite often after that, he was our best customer.

Edited by king77
  • Like 6

Just heard the news. This one hurts deep. What a loss! This woman was pur energy. So many great songs, so many musical memories…

She lived - and passed away - in a small town here in Switzerland, about 15 miles from where I live. She was a favored member of the community there, personally picked up her mail from the postman at her door, went to the local store for groceries. Switzerland was proud to have her as a citizen.

Farewell, Anna Mae!

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Epic! Goosebumps. Tears. Yearning for the past. It’s overwhelming to watch this now.

By coincidence (or not?) I watched this episode today just couple hours ago

• Like 2

I’m devastated by the news — she was the soundtrack of Miami Vice and recorded with legends including Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Lionel Richie, David Bowie and Rod Stewart. The tributes to her in home town in Switzerland tonite are incredibly touching.

• Like 5

Let´s not forget (next to What´s Love got to do with it) this iconic episode teaser.... this voice and this time (her comeback album Private dancer was issued in 1984) will never be forgotten!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

Don with Tina:

e0fbca180a7518807551c84800f513ef--don-johnson-tina-turner.jpg.c401a528afb360bc4753763c91e7ccba.jpg

look at that smile. always gracious. this is one of the reasons why i loved her so much. she was cool point. you can see it on the pics i posted too. she was Tina point

• Like 4

2 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

Don with Tina:

e0fbca180a7518807551c84800f513ef--don-johnson-tina-turner.jpg.c401a528afb360bc4753763c91e7ccba.jpg

Great picture- Don did a lovely photo on his Instagram paying tribute. It’s so sad - she was the best and made the Miami Vice soundtrack.

• Like 3

A fine song from the fall of 1991 as she was on hiatus between albums — this song in the vain of 1989s “I Don’t Wanna Lose You” was produced for her Simply the Best |  hits compilation. Although if did not chart in the U.S. it did hit top 20 in Europe and Australia. The song was written by the team behind many of her hits on 1989s “Foreign Affair” including “I Don’t Wanna Lose You”.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:43 PM, jpaul1 said:

you didn't miss it. Tina is no more. i used to listen her music a lot when i was a kid in the 80s

nSf5Sma1.thumb.jpeg.02b5215268fe568f7df77be26ca42d98.jpeg

LkYBs9U1.thumb.jpeg.de1eb53fca2385026d9459092b209668.jpeg

a54GWfR1.thumb.jpeg.4d26ce22cad0d340ec912405b6d1a469.jpeg

Beautiful photos 

Another strong song from late fall 1989 — Tina was the sound of Miami Vice and as Vice finished filming “Freefall” at the end of April 1989 due to its cancellation — there is no chance this fine song would have ended up in an episode. 

From 2009 and Tina’s farewell tour — she was the soundtrack of Miami Vice. This is the live version of the fine track featured heavily in late fall’s Season 1 episode “Give a Little, Take a Little” directed by Bobby Roth — featuring many scenes filmed in Miami Beach.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

From 1989s late fall album “Foreign Affair” — although this track was an album track and not a single — it has a fine blues feel in the vain of Eric Clapton , Robert Cray and Buddy Guy. This was a concert staple of Tina Turner in her last tour (2009) — it really is the best.

Edited by Matt5