Capt. “Lolo” Rodriguez & Miyagi-San...Pimps??

ViceFanMan

Earlier this spring & first part of the summer I went through the entire Hawaii Five-0 remake (2010-2020) for the first time (had watched it originally for the first few seasons, but then got out if it for the last few). After that it got me in the mood for the original series...so I’ve been recently going through the original 5-0 (1968-1980), after several years.

Tonight I watched a Season 6 episode from the fall of 1973, “Tricks Are Not Treats”...where a gang war of sorts breaks out between two factions of pimps. One group is headed by a pimp called Lolo...played by Gregory Sierra (Capt. Lou Rodriguez)! His bar tender, in the sleazy club he owns, was none other than ‘Mr. Miyagi’...Pat Morita, from the “Karate Kid” movies!

It’s awesome, but also somewhat hilarious to me, to see these actors in these kinds of roles...as I saw & remember them first from MV & KK, lol! :)

But, come to think of it...we never really did learn where Rodriguez got his money to send his son to Immaculate Heart private school, did we? Maybe he pimped on the side? Just kidding! :p A couple pics & captions below: 

23818C5B-8D30-4D8A-8819-E6FABA08B3A8.thumb.jpeg.cde234dcdec6b813e6e6a7fe8feba1e4.jpeg

Gregory Sierra as pimp Lolo...Hawaii Five-0 episode “Tricks Are Not Treats” (fall 1973). 

B3BD15F9-2D91-4E5D-9F5A-C415B47D8D54.jpeg.d52ff1d1dd087e27bfec836ae54e765b.jpeg

Pat Morita as Lolo’s bartender...same 5-0 episode.

• Like 3

Actually the pilot draft has Lou telling Sonny he won the money at the track. "...caught the long shot triple out at Hialeah Racetrack last week" is the exact line. I don't remember if they used that in the actual episode or not (I have a nagging recollection that they did, or something like it, but it's been a bit since I've watched that episode).

And I still think Five-0 was the best of the crop of reboots by a wide margin.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Actually the pilot draft has Lou telling Sonny he won the money at the track. "...caught the long shot triple out at Hialeah Racetrack last week" is the exact line. I don't remember if they used that in the actual episode or not (I have a nagging recollection that they did, or something like it, but it's been a bit since I've watched that episode).

And I still think Five-0 was the best of the crop of reboots by a wide margin.

Yeah, it’s been a while since I have watched the pilot too, so I don’t actually remember if they explained his money or not, lol. I’ll have to watch it soon.

The 5-0 remake was amazing, and probably the only remake of a past popular TV show I’ve ever really enjoyed or liked.  Plus, there were purposely done many respectful tributes, odes, and “easter eggs” from the original series included. 

6 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, it’s been a while since I have watched the pilot too, so I don’t actually remember if they explained his money or not, lol. I’ll have to watch it soon.

The 5-0 remake was amazing, and probably the only remake of a past popular TV show I’ve ever really enjoyed or liked.  Plus, there were purposely done many respectful tributes, odes, and “easter eggs” from the original series included. 

And from other shows like the original Magnum (I'm thinking specifically of Rick...complete with his ring). They actually had guest stars who made sense and had solid roles (Carol Burnett for one). It was exceedingly well done, and far better than anything else (in my view) the main guy did before or since. I think credit there has to go to Kurtzman and Orci (both of whom had Star Trek backgrounds...both the movies and more recent TV stuff if memory serves). I've either mildly or deeply disliked pretty much everything else Lenkov has touched (to include his ill-advised reboots of Magnum and MacGyver).

• Like 1

• Administrators

I recall seeing Edward James Olmos staring in a CHiPs TV episode as a young Latino gang member in the back sheet of a car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timm525 said:

I recall seeing Edward James Olmos staring in a CHiPs TV episode as a young Latino gang member in the back sheet of a car. 

Yes! I recently posted about that in the cast section as well! :thumbsup: He was wearing what looked to be like an 80s style hat, although it was the 70s, and I think I jokingly titled the thread “Castillo Starts a Fashion Trend?” :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1