Possible exhibit of MV locations by us in SoBe's Art Deco Welcome Center

Paul Veres

Hello all!

The other day I attended a little exhibit at the Art Deco Welcome Center. It was photographs by a local writer who's lived in Little Havana for 20 years and loves its architecture like I do. He basically had some nice shots of local homes, including for example the Eileen I once covered here in Miami Misc.

https://mdpl.org/blog/2023/08/save-my-little-havana-steve-wright-photo-exhibit-launches-august-24th-at-the-art-deco-museum/

It's cool and if you're local I recommend you check it out. It's free, and it's actually quite small, maybe 20-30 frames in a corner of the Art Deco museum. The exhibit is there until mid-November.

What's also cool is that I met Daniel Ciraldo who is the Executive Director at Miami Design Preservation League and also helps curate this part of the Art Deco museum. We spoke about Miami Vice for a while and South Beach and Art Deco etc. and he loved the fact that there is this forum, and we kind of landed on the idea of using that exhibit corner for something MV-inspired. We haven't talked timing, but it's great to have this opportunity on the table, including as a way to introduce this forum as an important repository and memory of Miami culture.

To kick start the thinking, I suggested running something I called "Miami-Dade Continuity and Change through the Lens of Miami Vice". Picture that literal corner of the museum. I'd populate the left wall with Continuity and the right wall with Change. Both walls would include pairs of pictures, diptychs if you will, where the left picture shows "then", a frame from the show, and the right picture shows "now", a photo of the same location taken today (naturally I'm volunteering). The Continuity wall will have notable show locations which didn't change a bit. The Change wall will have those pairs showing significant locations which changed entirely (e.g. something gone and replaced). 

If you fancy this idea, we need to come up with 10 locations for Continuity and 10 locations for Change. I'm especially winking at @Tom. I think 10 each will keep it focused to retain the viewer's attention and more won't fit into that corner anyway.

A less exciting question - any idea how the copyright works? Daniel so far said that is perhaps something we can get permission for, but I'm not even sure permission from whom. The thing is, we'd put them on sale there, to offset the cost of framing, unless somebody wants to donate to this cause. That's what Steve did with his Little Havana set - they are all on sale for few hundreds bucks each. I doubt we can just be selling MV stills from the show. Thoughts? I looked it up that something Mill Creek Entertainment currently owns the rights for the show. Do we need to be checking with them?? Anyway, just want to have this sorted before we get too excited and start picking locations. 

Here is just an example to illustrate my idea - in reality the shots will need to match better, and this particular location is probably not a good example of neither Continuity nor Change, but just to show you what I mean:

rect434.thumb.png.4afec27d07849022dff9c4ec17c05cf9.png

Let me know what you guys think.

• Like 3

Interesting ideas, I like the idea of advertising this site and introducing the public to the importance of Miami Vice.  Showing continuity would be cool.  For me, as a native however change in Miami is a rather painful subject.  Nothing is sacred here and sometimes I think the area is committed to architectural suicide.  So many great locations are gone, locations that were important to Vice and to the history and culture of the area.  For example they are seriously considering destruction of the Dade County Courthouse.

• Like 2

Found a photo online of the corner to give a better perspective on how much space we have to work with. This is Steve and his Little Havana exhibit. So the walls are not of equal size like I said before, which is fine.

1692925149049.thumb.jpg.badff0f285cc2dc2a4927b0b3259fcd6.jpg

• Like 2

Cool idea indeed.

Suggesting 10 locations is the easy part, the copyright issue with MV stills is a different story. No idea what is the legal situation in that case and who to ask for permission (copyright owner is most likely Universal, but who and how to get this confirmed?

On 8/27/2023 at 4:50 PM, Tom said:

Cool idea indeed.

Suggesting 10 locations is the easy part, the copyright issue with MV stills is a different story. No idea what is the legal situation in that case and who to ask for permission (copyright owner is most likely Universal, but who and how to get this confirmed?

Yeah, the last Daniel said was he'd see if he can "track down more info on who owns those rights", so I'm just gonna stand by for now.

• 1 month later...

Dammit you guys, I just said on another thread how I just spend a high 3 figures on fixing my car that has 264K miles on it. Now with this I've got not 1 but 2 reasons to make the drive down there to help the cause here lol. Well, this thing is going on until next month, so I've got time to consider it. I'll let you guys know.