New 2023 Jan Hammer interview.

Matt5

• Administrators

Thanks Matt!  That was awesome!  A trip back in time for me. I have almost all of the albums mentioned in this interview. I was into the Mahavishnu Orchestra when I was in high school (all the Zepplin fans thought I was weird!) "Between Nothingness and Eternity" played on cassette in my car for years!    Love Jeff Beck's "Wired" and Al DiMeola's "Scenario"  with "Sequencer"  being one of my favorite tunes.

Back in the day I have been to a few of the jazz clubs in New York City.  Saw Pat Metheny at the Village Vanguard. A very intimate place. Almost like being in someone's basement.  Also saw Bob James  (of Taxi fame) at the Blue Note, and as I mentioned a few times in the past saw Jan perform at the Lone Star bar in the city.  ( Pretty sure it's gone now)  It was early 80's, before "Vice" but still amazing. I was literally sitting with my back to the bar with Jan playing not 10 feet in front of me. New York is THE place for those intimate settings. Nothing else compares!

The "Too Much to Lose" video is a classic!  Great to see Beck playing, he is so sorely missed!

Thanks Matt!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Thanks Matt!  That was awesome!  A trip back in time for me. I have almost all of the albums mentioned in this interview. I was into the Mahavishnu Orchestra when I was in high school (all the Zepplin fans thought I was weird!) "Between Nothingness and Eternity" played on cassette in my car for years!    Love Jeff Beck's "Wired" and Al DiMeola's "Scenario"  with "Sequencer"  being one of my favorite tunes.

Back in the day I have been to a few of the jazz clubs in New York City.  Saw Pat Metheny at the Village Vanguard. A very intimate place. Almost like being in someone's basement.  Also saw Bob James  (of Taxi fame) at the Blue Note, and as I mentioned a few times in the past saw Jan perform at the Lone Star bar in the city.  ( Pretty sure it's gone now)  It was early 80's, before "Vice" but still amazing. I was literally sitting with my back to the bar with Jan playing not 10 feet in front of me. New York is THE place for those intimate settings. Nothing else compares!

The "Too Much to Lose" video is a classic!  Great to see Beck playing, he is so sorely missed!

Thanks Matt!

Amazing post Lou !

Seeing Jan in NYC in the early 1980s so close too , amazing. 
Re the interview this was done at Jan’s farm in upstate NY in the last few months , Jan posted it to his Facebook page this week. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jan Hammer mentions “Coming Back Home” in this interview writing it in his home country in 1978 when he returned there before giving it to established jazz drummer Tony Williams.
Tony Williams recorded it in 1978 which Jan plays all the instruments  on bar drums.

Tony Williams was a friend of Hammer and he worked with Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock a lot.
Jan Hammer would release his own version of “Coming Back Home” in 1994 on his solo LP “ Drive “.  Both versions are excellent. 

Edited by Matt5