DJ on possibilities of reboot?

S.FL84

Don has a good point about Miami Vice being about a certain time and place.  I don't believe a reboot could capture the "feel" of what we love about the show.  But if Don is willing to give in and be part of a reboot it would have to include as many of the original cast as possible.  Just my 2 cents worth. 

• Like 1

Oh not again. This is old footage from the time the Nash Bridges movie came out. 

He is right that it cannot be contemporized. Miami is not a drug capital anymore and the chemistry of the cast is not repeatable as we saw with the Magnum reboot. Crockett and Tubbs would need to chase springbreakers instead. One dud (the 2006 movie) is enough. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This has kinda been discussed to death here. Reboots are rarely a good idea (I can think of only a handful that have actually worked), especially for shows that are so grounded in a particular time and place. Bury this idea already.

• Like 3

Only way it'd work is a one-off reunion in a non-law enforcement to collectively work to capture the bad guy.  Those were some amazingly innocent, yet horrifyingly bloody days of of 1980's south Florida. 

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 3

It never works, just look at the state of Frasier, dull and completely lacking in humor.

They are even mentioning rebooting Faulty Towers with John Cleese in it ffs.

• Like 1

Haha..."bury this idea blahblah". How many of you will really live without watch it? Lolol

Well...if they will do a cast reunion interview like they did for ferris bueller's day off cast i would be happy.

The problem is ppl are getting older and its becoming harder to explain a context for a new mv these days too, with the same cast.

Edited by Mr. Calderon
  • Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Mr. Calderon:

Haha..."bury this idea blahblah". How many of you will really live without watch it? Lolol

The problem is ppl are getting older and its becoming harder to explain a context for a new mv these days too, with the same cast.

After my experience with the MV movie, I would not watch it. And it could not happen with the original cast anyway. Let´s get real here. I´ve never heard about cops working at 75.

As DJ and EJO look today (no offense at 75!) they could only pose as grandpa dealers in an elderly home anyway, but PMT with his beard could at least play a Taliban threatening spring breakers´ moral depravity on Ocean Drive :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

You simply cannot re-create that decade. It was the perfect time for that show. Leave it alone already.

• Like 2

i believe it can be rebooted. this is my personal point of view, and i'm not searching over a debate. but creativity is something almost endless. you can use the original cast as advisers. invent them backgrounds. and as stupidity is endless, criminal plots are almost countless. some series episodes very quite rotten, i mean the risk isn't that big. personnally if it's the old scenarists, or directors, i take it. the series belongs to them not us..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom said:

After my experience with the MV movie, I would not watch it. And it could not happen with the original cast anyway. Let´s get real here. I´ve never heard about cops working at 75.

As DJ and EJO look today (no offense at 75!) they could only pose as grandpa dealers in an elderly home anyway, but PMT with his beard could at least play a Taliban threatening spring breakers´ moral depravity on Ocean Drive :p

haha

Edited by Mr. Calderon

• Administrators
19 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

i believe it can be rebooted. 

I believe it can too, but how good will it be?  I think it's success or failure would depend on who's watching.  They've rebooted "Magnum P.I."  Some people love it and some hate it. A Vice reboot would probably be accepted by a new generation of viewers, but for fans like us, who know the original series, probably not.  We would probably watch out of curiosity and endlessly compare it to the original.  As I said, leave it alone. You can't re-create perfection.

35 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I believe it can too, but how good will it be?  I think it's success or failure would depend on who's watching.  They've rebooted "Magnum P.I."  Some people love it and some hate it. A Vice reboot would probably be accepted by a new generation of viewers, but for fans like us, who know the original series, probably not.  We would probably watch out of curiosity and endlessly compare it to the original.  As I said, leave it alone. You can't re-create perfection.

Crockett and Tubbs didn't die at the end of the series. why time should stop.i prefer a challenge that fails, than an attempt not attempted because of fear. the series is not perfection IMHO. the bull semen, free verse, and James Brown episodes are more than tiedous to me

• Like 1

Here's my concept for a reboot. Sonny drifts back into Miami in a boat in current times. He's in his 70s' and wants to comes home after moving South where the drinks are colder, the water warmer and he didn't know the names of the players. Stan Switek completed his time in Vice, retired and opened up a security/private detective company. Tubbs completed his career as a NYPD Detective, and retired back to Miami. The rest of the cast has also completed their time, retired, and are working as a lawyer, aide to the mayor, or other fields. Switek learns Sonny and Tubbs are back in Miami and as he needs some private detectives for his security/private detective business he offers both Sonny and Tubbs jobs. Izzy could also be working for Switek as a street informer. The reboot could have brief flashbacks to the original series and explore whatever happened to Tubb's son and whatever happened to Caitlin's money from her records and royalties that was never mention in the series. Sonny could be worth millions and maybe not know it. For this to work both DJ and Philip Thomas would have to come back. It could be done like Yellowstone with 9 or so episodes a season. Anyway that's my thoughts for a reboot. It might be a stretch, but maybe Larry's twin could come back with John Diehl playing the twin of course.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Gary1911A1 said:

Here's my concept for a reboot. Sonny drifts back into Miami in a boat in current times. He's in his 70s' and wants to comes home after moving South where the drinks are colder, the water warmer and he didn't know the names of the players. Stan Switek completed his time in Vice, retired and opened up a security/private detective company. Tubbs completed his career as a NYPD Detective, and retired back to Miami. The rest of the cast has also completed their time, retired, and are working as a lawyer, aide to the mayor, or other fields. Switek learns Sonny and Tubbs are back in Miami and as he needs some private detectives for his security/private detective business he offers both Sonny and Tubbs jobs. Izzy could also be working for Switek as a street informer. The reboot could have brief flashbacks to the original series and explore whatever happened to Tubb's son and whatever happened to Caitlin's money from her records and royalties that was never mention in the series. Sonny could be worth millions and maybe not know it. For this to work both DJ and Philip Thomas would have to come back. It could be done like Yellowstone with 9 or so episodes a season. Anyway that's my thoughts for a reboot. It might be a stretch, but maybe Larry's twin could come back with John Diet playing the twin of course.

That's a really nice concept and I can sense my own fondness with the cast and characters in your lines. But as much as I miss the show and would love to see all of them back together in something, I'm not sure I would wanna see that. It's tempting though, as was the "Nash Bridges" reunion, but I fear  I might end up as much disappointed as I was with that one. Too much comedic relief there. And these guys have become quite old to be honest, so it might be like...

grafik.png.60c7771e2ed1d553f53ea042eee7c73d.png

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

I've already done my take on where Vice could have gone (extensively, I might add...including Stan and Lester running their own security company being being brought on to Caitlin's House on an exclusive retainer), but there are problems with any reboot. First, the drug scene and Miami both have drastically changed. You wouldn't get the same feel. But perhaps the biggest is the change in how these shows are written. Vice used to take major hits for showing the drug scene as it was at the time (Columbian cartels and such, along with the violence they brought). So did shows like The Wire and The Shield. If they rebooted, I think you'd seen the same garbage plots you see on SWAT now...every other week another white supremacist militia group pops up in greater LA with some bio war scheme only to be thwarted by harsh words from Hondo and the selective use of Tasers and bean bag rounds. It wouldn't feel the same, even it if looked slightly the same. Thanks, but no thanks.

Hawaii Five-0 was fortunate in that it could incorporate a number of different things based on the premise of the task force itself and the players. 

Edited by Robbie C.

the Switek scenario, with Switek as a main protagonist s close to genius to me. i mean i always thought M. Talbott was so underrated

if you go on the 'it can be done because new won't work/old can be recreated' then make a cross on the original series. because with that kind of state of mind MV would have never been born. as it was totally new back then. regarding the narco plot as MV main line and only seller. yes it did a lot in the 80s as colombian narco world fascinated back then. but MV is not about narcos only. i mean there are lot of parallel stories. vietnam, incest, schizophrenia, protitution, psycological pathologies, and m,many more.. and narco doesn't fascinate nowadays. it's quite the opposite actually. so yes, it would obviously have to explore non-narco paths IMO

last thing i find the it won't work because they're aged a bit offensive. like if past some age you're not good to nothing. just an example i know women past 60, and even 70 that are still very attrative. so for me age means nothing

Edited by jpaul1

10 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

the Switek scenario, with Switek as a main protagonist s close to genius to me. i mean i always thought M. Talbott was so underrated

I second that, not just because of Michael Talbotts acting skills. Also I think this would create a somewhat credible storyline. I find Gary's idea pretty good overall, it creates a good premise for a mini series.

10 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

last thing i find the it won't work because they're aged a bit offensive. like if past some age you're not good to nothing. just an example i know women past 60, and even 70 that are still very attrative. so for me age means nothing

I absolutely didn't mean to make it sound that way. I'm getting older myself...and yes, you're right about the women, just look at Saundra Santiago, she's still stunningly beautiful. And also DJ still looks pretty decent for his age.

Maybe I'm just burned by that Nash Bridges reboot, I had high hopes on that. And while it was great to see Don and Cheech back together, overall for me it completely bombed. And I also went to the movies to watch Book Club 2, just to see DJ. Jane Fonda at 84 in tight jeans playing the nymphomaniac bimbo fiancee of DJ was a bit too much for me. And that has nothing to do with her looks. She's still looking good - for an 85 year old woman and obviously thanks to some nip & tuck.

As Robbie C. stated, whatever a reboot with the original cast might be, it's gonna be something TOTALLY different and won't have anything to do with the original series besides the characters. It could still be cool - and Gary's idea has the potential for that - but there's a fine line between cool and pathetic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

if you go on the 'it can be done because new won't work/old can be recreated' then make a cross on the original series. because with that kind of state of mind MV would have never been born. as it was totally new back then. regarding the narco plot as MV main line and only seller. yes it did a lot in the 80s as colombian narco world fascinated back then. but MV is not about narcos only. i mean there are lot of parallel stories. vietnam, incest, schizophrenia, protitution, psycological pathologies, and m,many more.. and narco doesn't fascinate nowadays. it's quite the opposite actually. so yes, it would obviously have to explore non-narco paths IMO

Between the Dick Wolf (Law and Order add nauseam) and Jerry Bruckheimer (the dumpster fire that is the CSI franchise) they've beaten those plots to death. Barring something really extraordinary, I don't think a Vice reboot would bring anything new to the table. I get that you'd like to see one, but do you want to see garbage like the Macgyver reboot? Or Magnum? SWAT was somewhat decent early on, but now it's turned into a thin shadow of what it was. Part of what made Vice unique was the time and place, and part of it was a willingness to go against the grain with stories and situations. I honestly don't think they'd be allowed to do that now. At least not in the same way and with the same intelligence.

• Like 4