RIP Hutch! :-(

ViceFanMan

Another TV icon has passed away. Actor David Soul, best known for playing Det. Kenneth “Hutch” Hutchinson on the 70s cop drama Starsky & Hutch (1975-1979), has died. He was 80. Sadly his health has not been very good in the past several years. ;(

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 8

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Another TV icon has passed away. Actor David Soul, best known for playing Det. Kenneth “Hutch” Hutchinson on the 70s cop drama Starsky & Hutch (1975-1979), has died. He was 80. Sadly his health has not been very good in the past several years. ;(

Sad news.

Directed one of the greatest episode on the show of course "No Exit". 

RIP David;(

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

Loved him in "Magnum Force" as well with his cool calm, devilish performance.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Sad news.

Directed one of the greatest episode on the show of course "No Exit". 

RIP David;(

Very true…I should have put that in my original post! Sad. ;(

• Like 1

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

Loved him in "Magnum Force" as well with his cool calm, devilish performance.

I love the “Dirty Harry” movies…Magnum Force is awesome! Lots of famous TV actors, before they were famous. 

• Like 1

My mother spoke to him in 1998 when he came to Newcastle in the UK to open an amusement in town.

She had a massive crush on him when she was a teenager, like most girls. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I love the “Dirty Harry” movies…Magnum Force is awesome! Lots of famous TV actors, before they were famous. 

His role in Salem's Lot was pretty good also, excellent horror series.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S.FL84 said:

Soul directed the episode "No Exit" of the 1980s TV series Miami Vice.

True. He and Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky) were both very good directors, as well as actors.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

My mother spoke to him in 1998 when he came to Newcastle in the UK to open an amusement in town.

She had a massive crush on him when she was a teenager, like most girls. 

7 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

His role in Salem's Lot was pretty good also, excellent horror series.  

Yes, he eventually lived in & became a citizen of the UK, besides the U.S.

I posted about Salem’s Lot & Soul a few months ago (during fall & Halloween time), in the ’movies you’ve watched’ thread. Nowadays it would be considered ridiculous, but for television in 1979, it was pretty good! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

As someone who watched Starsky and Hutch during my teen years this news is sad and reminds us all that death is a part of life.  

• Like 4

While it wasn’t a great success overall, I really enjoyed his portrayal of the German agent Wolff in The Key to Rebecca miniseries, based on the Ken Follett novel.

• Like 2

Surprised he didn’t direct more. He was very good.  Love Starsky & Hutch though. Rediscovered the show in the 90’s & was hooked.  They had great chemistry.  Sad to hear of his passing. 

Seems like yesterday I was looking through a toy catalog & saw a model of the Starsky & Hutch car.   

• Like 2

Just now, Noggie said:

Surprised he didn’t direct more. He was very good.  Love Starsky & Hutch though. Rediscovered the show in the 90’s & was hooked.  They had great chemistry.  Sad to hear of his passing. 

Seems like yesterday I was looking through a toy catalog & saw a model of the Starsky & Hutch car.   

He and Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky) were both good actors & directors! I’ve read some articles on Glaser’s reactions to Soul’s passing, and I think he’s greatly saddened. They have always kept in touch, and were like brothers.

I have the show on DVD, and a 1:18 scale diecast model of the “striped tomato”. I have not watched the show or displayed the car in many years…perhaps it’s time I did again. 

• Like 2

I walked into a local gunshop yesterday and saw a minty used Colt Python for sale with a 6" barrel in stainless for sale at a fair price. I had already heard about David Soul's passing at 80 years of age and had been thinking of the Colt Python he carried in Starsky & Hutch. I put it on layaway as I really enjoyed the series. It was the Miami Vice of the day. He was also a good singer and I wish he had done more.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Noggie said:

He should directed at least 2 more after the pure brilliance of "No Exit"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2024 at 12:28 PM, ViceFanMan said:

rip to this great actor, it not for starsky and hutch, I don't think miami vice would be here, that show blazed a trail.

Edited by Afi Keita James
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1