A Jan Hammer Article I’ve Never Seen

Dadrian

While searching for something else, I accidentally stumbled across this PDF. 

It’s an interview from December 1985 by Modern Music&Recording, and I’ve never seen/heard of it before now. 

No “new” to me information really, but here it is if anyone is interested. It starts on page 18 of the PDF:

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Modern-Recording/80s/Modern-Recording-1985-12.pdf

• Like 6

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing, Dadrian.

MR &M: Do the producers tell you what kind of music they want for a particular episode?

JH: No. It's left up to me. Fred Lyle picks the songs. I get a rough cassette of the show with the songs included, generally one to three songs are included in each show. The rest of the show is blank dialogue and production track. The rest of the music is totally left to me. There is no direction at all. I have my own freedom.

Brilliant.

• Like 3

As you probably noticed, Jan also said he could have a song removed if he absolutely objected to it. I’d never seen/heard that song in any other interview.  :hot:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OCBman said:

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing, Dadrian.

7 minutes ago, Kladdagh said:

Thanks for that treasure @Dadrian:thumbsup:

You both are very welcome! :thumbsup:

Am I correct to say that the only person here that saw Jan live in concert was @Ferrariman? And at a dive bar in NY just before MV at that?? :hot:

• Administrators
On 1/26/2024 at 8:12 PM, Dadrian said:

Am I correct to say that the only person here that saw Jan live in concert was @Ferrariman? And at a dive bar in NY just before MV at that?? :hot:

The only one?  Really?!   Yes I guess it's true.  I saw him at the Lone Star cafe in New York City in the early 80's pre-Vice days.  The Lone Star was at the corner of 5th Avenue and 13th Street in Manhattan and featured many Jazz artists of the time.  In between Jan's 2 sets we were treated to Jazz Guitarist Larry Coryell.  It was truly THE place in New York to see your favorite musicians in a very close and personal setting.   James Brown and Bob Dylan are just a few of the big names that performed there. Sadly it closed in 1989.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Hammer (the group) at JB Scotts in Albany, NY in (I think) 1979.  They played a lot of stuff from Black Sheep and Hammer.  Colin Hodgkinson, Gregg Carter, Glenn Burtnick was lead vocalist and played a bit of keys.  I was standing just below Jan where I could have reached out and grabbed his pedal foot.  He had his 6-voice custom black Oberheim SEM system with the Probe.  That's all he played.  I'm 65 and a synthesizer player / keyboardist / composer and it was the best concert I've ever seen or heard, period.  Jan played the living *&%$ out of that thing.  It was a religious experience for all who witnessed it.  I was literally in tears.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Gonga said:

I saw Hammer (the group) at JB Scotts in Albany, NY in (I think) 1979.  They played a lot of stuff from Black Sheep and Hammer.  Colin Hodgkinson, Gregg Carter, Glenn Burtnick was lead vocalist and played a bit of keys.  I was standing just below Jan where I could have reached out and grabbed his pedal foot.  He had his 6-voice custom black Oberheim SEM system with the Probe.  That's all he played.  I'm 65 and a synthesizer player / keyboardist / composer and it was the best concert I've ever seen or heard, period.  Jan played the living *&%$ out of that thing.  It was a religious experience for all who witnessed it.  I was literally in tears.

WOW that’s amazing. I’ve seen that rig on a lot of live footage (Beck, Di Meola, etc.), but can’t imagine what it looked/sounded like in person. Thanks for sharing, and I gotta say: for me, this is one of the best First Posts ever! :) 

Welcome to the sight, fellow JH Enthusiast!

If you have any inside info about Jan’s MV era gear/sounds (besides all the obvious resources), I’d love to know. We can PM to spare all the locals of the nerdery if you like. :) 

• Like 2

• Administrators

You see D? I’m not the only one! ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

You see D? I’m not the only one! ;)

Not any more! :) 

• Like 2

Thank you Dadrian, very kind!

I am not active on many social media sites because I am a long-time privacy activist (since 1998), so I have no presence on Facebook or Google, etc.  It's difficult...people have no idea what sacrifices people make for them in the name of civil rights (in the case of the U.S., the 4th Amendment)!

I do have a website https://danling.com/ where I have have a couple pages I wrote regarding Jan's history, but there's prolly nothing there that would be new to you.  If you do ever check it out, please feel free to offer input as I want those pages to be accurate and informative.  I will be working on a new page at some point which will go into Jan's 1970-80's analog synthesis, playing technologies and techniques though, which you may find interesting.  I commonly use his analog "sync sweep guitar" type sound (the one on the Vice Theme), and since I used to own an Oberheim FVS-1, I am fascinated by his voice-triggering keyboard and pitch wheel techniques (many pioneered by Oberheim) which enabled him to do things nobody else did (ever, as far as I can tell).  I once wrote a letter to Elliot Sears (many years ago) suggesting they consider archiving Jan's gear so as to facilitate a Hammer museum some day, or at least for someone to document it and his techniques with interviews.  He sent a kind reply but noted that Jan is so humble that he doesn't take himself seriously as far as music history, and that he sells or gives away his stuff.  This is sad, because Jan is undoubtedly the most important synthesizer player ever, in many ways.

Edited by Gonga
  • Like 2