Songs that shouldn't have been on MV

NeonHumidity

I just found this one particularly saccharine and basically detracted from the episode, especially repeated.  And I really wish they could have chosen something else and maybe increased the episode's enjoyment, instead.

• Like 1

Interesting subject to ponder. In your example I would agree that the song is cheesy. But I like it in that it is quintessentially 80ies cheesy: It worked for it's time.

I would put the final song of the series "Tell Me" as my choice for worst pick. I can only imagine how much more poignant the show's ending would have been had they gone with a Hammer melody or a vocal artist like Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel or another MV staple.

Don't get me wrong. The song "Tell Me" was okay. God knows I was choked up watching the final moments of my favorite show. I just feel like it wasn't the right choice. 

Another controversial example is Biko in Evan. It works really well. I just think Jan's Evan theme worked better in the "Bullet for Crockett" flashback.

I know, I know. I will hand in my MV Fan badge and weapons before I leave...:tongue:

22 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

Interesting subject to ponder. In your example I would agree that the song is cheesy. But I like it in that it is quintessentially 80ies cheesy: It worked for it's time.

Don't get me wrong; I have nothing against 80's cheese.  This one is just too much too late, and misplaced.  While I struggle to think of an appropriate period replacement (gimme some time), and I know they almost certainly wouldn't have used this one, imagine how much the episode would have improved: 

I still can’t think of an equivalent replacement song for WIEAC, and maybe that’s the point.  It was a major episode for Gina, who slept with and shot down a terrorist.  Imagine if they’d gone for passion or irony or good music tonally, instead of glurge.  

Okay.  Tonally?  Found it.  

"Gina, it's Sean.  Sean...!" 

This covers the sappy parts, the drawn-out love scene, and the parking garage.

I hope I've demonstrated at this point that they could have (and should have) picked something else for WIEAC (not like they were short on options), but someone seems to have been asleep for that episode.

Maybe they tried and couldn't secure rights (or the rights were too expensive). Vice ignored whole swaths of music in the '80s. Honestly I think they would have been better off in most cases with a Jan Hammer original.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:09 PM, NeonHumidity said:

I just found this one particularly saccharine and basically detracted from the episode, especially repeated.  And I really wish they could have chosen something else and maybe increased the episode's enjoyment, instead.

I agree the song was too corny and Carroon's death was over dramatic.

The song should have been a powerful one and he should have just been shot in the same spot instead of going over.

Something like this would have so much better.

12 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I agree the song was too corny and Carroon's death was over dramatic.

The song should have been a powerful one and he should have just been shot in the same spot instead of going over.

Something like this would have so much better.

Perhaps, but it was released in March 1987, so would also require a time machine.  That song is her and Crockett, anyway.

I think this is the closest period U2 thing, and they never would have used it.  I also think going with a female artist was the right choice, just... wrong, wrong, wrong song.

Edited by NeonHumidity

The Final gunfight, and preparation for said gunfight.. in the last episode should have most definitely had “in the air tonight” playing.

Go back and watch that scene, mute the tv, and play In the Air Tonight. Tell me it’s not 1000 times better. That song played them into our hearts and minds in the beginning of Season 1, and should have been the big send off.

The song “Bad Attitude” was way too cheesy and took away from the drama of those final moments seeing Crockett and Tubbs in their last battle.

A missed opportunity in my opinion 

21 hours ago, Ronn Winter said:

The Final gunfight, and preparation for said gunfight.. in the last episode should have most definitely had “in the air tonight” playing.

Go back and watch that scene, mute the tv, and play In the Air Tonight. Tell me it’s not 1000 times better. That song played them into our hearts and minds in the beginning of Season 1, and should have been the big send off.

The song “Bad Attitude” was way too cheesy and took away from the drama of those final moments seeing Crockett and Tubbs in their last battle.

A missed opportunity in my opinion 

I’ll have to check that out!

I think the lyrics to “Bad Attidude” were what sealed that deal—pretty spot on. 

• 2 months later...

This one was a misstep in "One-Eyed Jack".  Not a terrible song by any stretch, but between the "blonde hair" reference and the fact that very unusually for MV, it was seven years old! :eek:... means it feels lazy, and I think they could have chosen better. 

My best attempt at swapping: